Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Explosion in Kuwait City

redman

It is an interesting topic.

Fox is encouraging, polite and pro-USA in this war. It's telling the story from the American standpoint. It's almost like the old war-time reels you might have seen before movies during WWII, though without quite the over the top gung-ho nature.

The bottom line is, I can't come up with anything wrong with that. I WANT Americans to be rooting on the Americans here. I don't want to see the negative bias you see on ABC news where the cameras showed happy Iraqis cheering our arrival on the first day and helping to tear down a Saddam poster only to have an ABC stringer follow up those same people were really not happy.

I don't want to see the idiotic questioning of how come a week in we haven't taken over the universe. There may be a time for those questions. But, now, Fox is increasing viewership by actually daring to root for the American side in this. And, like with the Redskins, we should all be tuning in to show just how right that decision is this early in the affair.

Art, the only problem that I have had is a couple of examples:

First, Fox jumped on the story that Scuds had been launched, yet made no mention on the air when the US military announced that NO scuds had been fired.... CNN and MSNBC had both accounts... Everyone that was only following Fox was screaming "see I told you so", they were never treated to the truth. But you could find the story hidden on their website which I posted on another thread because no one believed me...

Second, when the "WMD" plant was found, Fox jumped the gun on that too while the other two major cable news networks played it safe, seems that we haven't heard anything about it since have we.

I have no problem with pulling for the US, it shouldn't be any other way. They can show the other side with out being "against the US". The truth is what it should be all about.

"Fox news is about as biased toward this war and the current administration as all us posters are toward our beloved skins. It's pathetic."

Read: Damnit! I don't like that born again Bush, I don't like the war, and Fox isn't showing the U.S. destroying other than "Strategic" targets. Which I just know they are because..well......because. (of course nobody but a few TV stations including Iraqi TV is either and those are questionable).

Agreed. I'll take the slant. Such as it is. I like the analysts better there too.

:cheers:

Originally posted by Art

It is an interesting topic.

Fox is encouraging, polite and pro-USA in this war. It's telling the story from the American standpoint. It's almost like the old war-time reels you might have seen before movies during WWII, though without quite the over the top gung-ho nature.

The bottom line is, I can't come up with anything wrong with that. I WANT Americans to be rooting on the Americans here. I don't want to see the negative bias you see on ABC news where the cameras showed happy Iraqis cheering our arrival on the first day and helping to tear down a Saddam poster only to have an ABC stringer follow up those same people were really not happy.

I don't want to see the idiotic questioning of how come a week in we haven't taken over the universe. There may be a time for those questions. But, now, Fox is increasing viewership by actually daring to root for the American side in this. And, like with the Redskins, we should all be tuning in to show just how right that decision is this early in the affair.

That's great Art, and I certainly support our troops. I heard a piece on the Battle for Najaf this afternoon on NPR(http://www.npr.org/display_pages/features/feature_1211660.html) and I couldn't have been more proud of them. Listen to it if you get the chance. It's the first entry from Eric Westervelt, and a really "you are there" entry from the battlefield.

Just the same I'll stay away from Al-Jazeera and Fox News. While I don't think they're on the same playing field, they are both quite questionable with their relentless diatribe.

My mistake, the link is on the main page...

http://www.npr.org/

yea....right.

I've watched just about every possible news channel I can since war's beginning, and there certainly been a bit of a frenzy for information by the media. I recall the chemicalwarfare plant news well. Matter of fact it had 2 threads, one in Fed EX and one here in Tailgate. Posts were coming in by people watching Fox but CNN, MSNBC, and a few others all reported the find as well. Suspected seemed to be the key word there. Even on Fox. Here's a list of "bungles" by the media on this site. Fair to say it's been a team effort by all the media.

http://www.mediainfo.com/editorandpublisher/headlines/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1850208

Here, then, is a list of stories that have been widely misreported or poorly reported so far:

1. Saddam may well have been killed in the first night's surprise attack (March 20).

2. Even if he wasn't killed, Iraqi command and control was no doubt "decapitated" (March 22).

3. Umm Qasr has been taken (March 22).

4. Most Iraqis soldiers will not fight for Saddam and instead are surrendering in droves (March 22).

5. Iraqi citizens are greeting Americans as liberators (March 22).

6. An entire division of 8,000 Iraqi soldiers surrendered en masse near Basra (March 23).

7. Several Scud missiles, banned weapons, have been launched against U.S. forces in Kuwait (March 23).

8. Saddam's Fedayeen militia are few in number and do not pose a serious threat (March 23).

9. Basra has been taken (March 23).

10. Umm Qasr has been taken (March 23).

11. A captured chemical plant likely produced chemical weapons (March 23).

12. Nassiriya has been taken (March 23).

13. Umm Qasr has been taken (March 24).

14. The Iraqi government faces a "major rebellion" of anti-Saddam citizens in Basra (March 24).

15. A convoy of 1,000 Iraqi vehicles and Republican Guards are speeding south from Baghdad to engage U.S. troops (March 25).

About the missle, how far is it from the Iraq border to Kuwait City. I would think it is farther than the mandated distance their missle were allowed to fly. Me thinks we may have found some solid evidence of illegal weapons by them guys. The gas masks and chem suits aren't exactly the solid evidence we needed. I'd heard during the first days they thought a couple of the missles launched were scuds, but haven't heard anything else about it since.

Originally posted by Park City Skins

yea....right.

I'm not sure if you meant me, but I'll respond:

here is one thread on the WMD plant, note, those watching fox say it's confirmed, but CNN and MSNBC watchers say "possible".

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24298&highlight=fox+confirmed

here is one thread I started on the Scuds, Navy Dave confirms that Fox is still running on the ticker that it was scuds, YET! on their website they have the very article that confirms that NO scuds had been fired.....

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24268&highlight=fox+confirmed

Fox is all propaganda for the war. It's one thing to be pro USA, but another to be pro BUSH, at least out of a news agency.

USA Today reports that it was a chinese "silkworm" missle that they can't detect because it flies low.

Missile rocks Kuwait City mall

KUWAIT CITY (AP) — A missile apparently fired by Iraq fell into the sea and exploded near Kuwait's most popular shopping mall early Saturday, blasting out windows but causing no injuries, according to Kuwaiti and U.S. officials. (Related story:'Silkworm' suspected in Kuwaiti blast)

Kuwait firefighters inspect the damage caused by the explosion of a missile at Souq Sharq shopping mall.

By Gustavo Ferrari, AP

It was the closest that a missile has come to Kuwait City since U.S. troops based in the Persian Gulf emirate invaded neighboring Iraq on March 20.

"It came from the northeast part of the Gulf. It seemed to be traveling at a very low level," so no air raid sirens sounded, Fire Chief Jassim al-Mansouri said.

He said it hit a small pier that juts into the Gulf in front of the Souq Sharq mall at around 1:45 a.m., and pieces landed nearby.

The multilevel shopping center on Kuwait's seafront includes department stores, restaurants, theaters and Western-style stores such as Starbucks and the Body Shop and is the most popular in Kuwait.

The information minister, Sheik Ahmed Fahd Al Ahmed Al Sabah, said it was believed to have been a Chinese-made Silkworm cruise missile. He said it was the 16th missile that Iraq has fired at Kuwait since the war began.

None of them contained chemical or biological weapons.

U.S. officials in Washington, speaking on the condition of anonymity, also said the missile appeared to have been a Silkworm launched from southern Iraq.

"Some missiles we cannot detect with our missile defense system," al-Sabah said. "This kind of missile flies very low."

The explosion shattered windows, blasted the glass door at the front of the mall and blew out huge chunks of plaster from the adjacent parking structure.

Parts of the ceiling and walls littered the ground in a covered plaza in front of the mall after the explosion. Television images also showed smoke rising over the Kuwaiti skyline.

The mall is about half a mile from Sief Palace, the official seat of the emir of Kuwait. The emir lives in Dasman Palace, about two miles further away.

U.S. Patriot missile batteries guard Kuwait against missile attacks by neighboring Iraq. In Doha, Qatar, the U.S. Central Command said it was investigating the explosion.

None of the missiles fired at Kuwait has caused significant damage or injury. At least three have been destroyed by Patriots, according to U.S. military spokesmen.

On Thursday, civilian defense officials in Kuwait said a U.S. Patriot missile knocked down an Iraqi missile fired from southern Iraq.

Air raid sirens have sounded repeatedly since the war began last week, cautioning the 2.3 million residents of this small, oil-rich state to take cover.

A U.S.-led force in 1991 liberated Kuwait from an Iraqi invasion and many here voiced anger at Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.

"My heart is still pounding," said Batoul Tabtabai, a 40-year-old housewife who had been shopping at a 24-hour supermarket about 200 yards from the blast. "May God take revenge on Saddam. There will be no security as long as he is alive."

Some onlookers celebrated the lack of major damage by gathering and singing around Ali Al-Sebai, an Egyptian-American musician who was visiting Kuwait, whose emir is Sheik Jaber Al Ahmed Al Sabah.

"We have Sheik Jaber and we fear no one," they sang. "Let Saddam go to hell."

Within hours of the first U.S. strike on Baghdad, sirens blared throughout Kuwait City, sending jittery residents scrambling for bomb shelters, some carrying gas masks and chemical suits.

Originally posted by NorEastNCFan

About the missle, how far is it from the Iraq border to Kuwait City. I would think it is farther than the mandated distance their missle were allowed to fly. Me thinks we may have found some solid evidence of illegal weapons by them guys. The gas masks and chem suits aren't exactly the solid evidence we needed. I'd heard during the first days they thought a couple of the missles launched were scuds, but haven't heard anything else about it since.

Not sure about that distance ... will check.

The missles can't fly more than 90 miles and be legal. Kuwait City might be that close to the border, but I doubt it was fired from the border.

No code... I wasn't talking to you. But since you mentioned it. take alook at that thread about the Possible Chemical Weapons plant. The possible confirmation, judging by Tarhog's post, was made by the Pentagon as reported by Fox. If memory serves, Fox was spending a rather large amount of time trying to confirm it. Notice too that CNN was reporting it as possible and your preferred chanel MSNBC said it was. Not possible. According to you even. While the CIA says don't know. As for the scuds. Yes...4 days ago...maybe..... haven't seen it flashed on the ticker and the news site is still saying the same thing..so....what?

As I've already posted. the media, not just Fox, has blown it many times since this thing has started. People will see what they want to see even when it's news. Don't like Bush or the war, watch CNN or another because it appears as though, well, they are more objective. Uh huh. And the reverse can be true as well.

BTW: "Fox is all propaganda for the war. It's one thing to be pro USA, but another to be pro BUSH, at least out of a news agency."

You say things like this just to stir things up and have people come down on you?

First, Sorry, I wasn't sure if you were talking to me or not. I also agree with you that ALL of the media outlets have bungled a bunch of stories.

Second, Quite a few people here on Extremskins make a huge deal about how CNN is ridiculously liberal and FOX tells the truth. Fox is slanted to the right compared to MSNBC, CNN is slanted to the left compared to MSNBC... take that however you want, but I normally do not watch the news, but since the war has started, I have made a very conscienous effort to watch all three at some point each day to see if I could pick up on a bias. (it also helps that the Skins season is not going on and baseball hasn't started... not much of an NBA or NHL fan) I also read USA Today and the Washington Post online. My wife who is as non political as they come even notices that Fox is very pro war (I don't mean pro US) compared to MSNBC and CNN. IF that's what you want to hear, then Fox is the right place for you (I don't mean "you" literally).....

In my opinion, "propeganda" is a slant that leads you to a certain view, Fox definatly leads you to view the war in the way the right/conservatives would have you view it.

To be fair, CNN seems to run a whole lot more of the "negative to the US" type of stories... Like I said, I prefer MSNBC.

Also, here is a website that has documented some of Fox New's lies....

Take them for what they are worth, but I can verify that Fox News DID show Iraqi POW's on TV. I remember seeing it several times. I also remember them saying how outraged they were at Iraq for showing US POW's...

This is from a libertarian anti war site

http://iraqwar.org/med-distortions.htm

Some words about lies on FOX TV--

We listen to propagandists such as Fred Barnes on his FOX TV 2/8/03 saying Saddam gets pleasure in gauging out the eyes of children in front of their parents. I don't know if this is true, but remember the lies we heard before the first Gulf war, e.g. throwing the babies out of incubators--or were promoted by the British before World War I (German soldiers eating Belgian babies), so here we go again for gullable Americans. FOX NEWS makes the ultimate joke of honest reporting, it so distorts news reports intermixing them with untrue, simplified commentary.

2/15 FOX NEWS 5:08 PM EST 2/15/03 LIES --commentator saying that most Europeans support U.S. to eliminate Saddam by war, a lie. Also that 68% of Americans support war (without explaining any of hedges, e.g. most Americans want it with UN backing) On 3/16 Fox TV shows a "Dirty Bomb" as being able to contaminate the major part of an entire city. In reality one a few blocks would be effected and that non-fatal. FOX TV 3/22 at 11 AM had an Admiral lying about Saddam using UN money for weaponry instead of feeding his people. In truth UN personnel controlled bank accounts and food distribution.

Always Fox commentators would say that Saddam expelled UN weapons inspectors. A lies. They were withdrawn by the UN when Clinton wanted to start bombing Iraq in '98 or '99. Then Saddam rejected their being allowed to return.

Fox News filled the airwaves on Saturday 3/22, showing Iraqi POWs, up close and looking humiliated. Military handlers guided the camera crew through the groups of POWs. This story was shown at least 5 times on Saturday on Fox, and there was a news story on their Website, but the story has been pulled. Fox has quickly moved to airbrush any evidence of their "violation."

Geneva Convention article 13 forbids the displaying of POWs for the purposes of "public curiosity," exactly what Fox News did on Saturday. One wonders whether there will be equal prosecution of this violation for both sides.

All morning, Fox News has been parading commentators who are outraged by this "war crime." Centcom has issued a statement condemning the actions of al-Jazeera TV for showing the footage of American POWs. One after another, the Fox News anchors and correspondents are talking about how upset they are and how the US would never do such a thing, ignoring the fact that they did exactly the same thing 24 hours earlier. For many details and histories of FOX lies please go to http://www.fair.org/media-outlets/newscorp-fox.html

The sites opening statement:

Tens of millions of human beings have died since World War I because well meaning Americans were taken in by public relations atrocity campaigns to get us to go to war, for the benefits of other nations. The War Party, is now triumphant in Washington, having succeeded in creating hundreds of millions of new enemies for America from its earlier interventions, bombings and occupations of foreign lands e.g. Serbia, Palestine and Saudi Arabia. Foreigners retaliated, as we warned they would. Before 9/11 the War Party was looking for confrontation or even war with China. Now they have changed the war against terrorism to one against all of Israel's Arab enemies as well, allied in effect with Bin Laden's objective of engineering continuing war between America and the Moslem world.

We urge conservatives to look beyond the conservative media (NATIONAL REVIEW, WASHINGTON TIMES, WALL STREET JOURNAL op-ed(the worst of all), FOX NEWS and Think Tanks, most of which are almost totally dominated by the Neo-conservatives, the War Party, and Empire wanters. Following are links to many sources of news not usually reported in Conservative media. We refer you to Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting for updates on Middle East news distortions. Note also that American TV does not show the atrocities, particularly against Palestinians, which the rest of the world sees. (jbu)

eeeeeks

Archived