Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Benson ordered to install ignition-lock breath tester in car

bubba9497

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3457443&type=story

Click link for entire article

Benson ordered to install ignition-lock breath tester in car

Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas -- Former Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson was ordered Monday to install an ignition-lock breath tester in his car after he was charged with drunken driving.

Benson was charged in separate incidents of boating and driving while intoxicated. Travis County Court-at-Law Judge Elisabeth Earle ordered him to install the device within 72 hours as a condition of his bail at a pretrial hearing.

The device prevents the car from starting if it detects alcohol.

Earle said the ignition lock requirement is common for defendants facing multiple DWI charges and does not indicate whether Benson is guilty or innocent.

How many lives would that save???

It would be an "annoyance" well worth it.

I understand your point, but this would be a serious invasion of privacy. It's on the level of forcing everyone to wear condoms and take birth control because "it's for the your own good".

The government has no right to interfere in my life unless I've broken the law.

I understand your point, but this would be a serious invasion of privacy. It's on the level of forcing everyone to wear condoms and take birth control because "it's for the your own good".

The government has no right to interfere in my life unless I've broken the law.

That's a bad comparison.

What's the issue? I know it won't happen, but if you don't drive drunk, why would you be opposed to this?

I hate hearing "invasion of privacy"....just like the wiretaps, if you aren't doing anything criminal, what would you have to hide?

That's a bad comparison.

What's the issue? I know it won't happen, but if you don't drive drunk, why would you be opposed to this?

I hate hearing "invasion of privacy"....just like the wiretaps, if you aren't doing anything criminal, what would you have to hide?

You're missing my point. It's not my (or anyones) responsibility to prove to the government that I'm not hiding anything or breaking the law. It's up to the government to prove that I'm doing something wrong.

That's why we are "Innocent until proven Guilty" and not the other way around.

Although the Constitution of the United States does not cite it explicitly, presumption of innocence is widely held to follow from the 5th, 6th and 14th amendments. See also Coffin v. United States

Conversely, in many authoritarian regimes the prosecution case is, in practice, believed by default unless the accused can prove they are innocent, a practice called presumption of guilt.

That's a bad comparison.

its not that fact that people are tryn to hide something, its just that some,including me, dont like others all up in their business

You're missing my point. It's not my (or anyones) responsibility to prove to the government that I'm not hiding anything or breaking the law. It's up to the government to prove that I'm doing something wrong.

That's why we are "Innocent until proven Guilty" and not the other way around.

Although the Constitution of the United States does not cite it explicitly, presumption of innocence is widely held to follow from the 5th, 6th and 14th amendments. See also Coffin v. United States

Conversely, in many authoritarian regimes the prosecution case is, in practice, believed by default unless the accused can prove they are innocent, a practice called presumption of guilt.

I agree with you, but you are missing mine.

Think of it as an additional safety feature, like a seat belt. Why do we have to legally wear seat belts?

I agree with you, but you are missing mine.

Think of it as an additional safety feature, like a seat belt. Why do we have to legally wear seat belts?

To be totally honest - I don't think we should be required by law to wear seatbelts. If I want to be a total dumbass and not wear it, well that's my business.

Now I would support laws requiring seatbelts for children - because at that point my decision to not wear seatbelts is affecting another's (additionally because a child cannot make a decision like that on their own) rights and life.

The problem is that people have allowed the government to become a nannystate - "protecting" everyone whether they like it or not - because "they" know better.

To be totally honest - I don't think we should be required by law to wear seatbelts. If I want to be a total dumbass and not wear it, well that's my business.

Now I would support laws requiring seatbelts for children - because at that point my decision to not wear seatbelts is affecting another's (additionally because a child cannot make a decision like that on their own) rights and life.

The problem is that people have allowed the government to become a nannystate - "protecting" everyone whether they like it or not - because "they" know better.

This all coming from this guy: http://extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5285040&postcount=172 :laugh:

It's sad that we need a government to protect people from themselves because too many lack common sense.

Benson is done as an NFL player. He got his big contract as a rookie and didn't give a **** after that.

Stupid people are why they have "Caution: Hot" written in cups of coffee. I would definitely favor breathalyzers in vehicles. The only problem is that you could start the car, and then drink.

Archived