Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Nas Video for his album coming out 7.15.2008

Thinking Skins

Nas has always been one of the best MC's. Illmatic is one of the top albums of all time IMO.

As for that song, I think I am missing the point? Is he talking about how we are all one, as in the original man from Africa? Or is he more taking a shot a commercialization of rap dumbing the black race down? It also seemed like he was saying that the power holders in this country blame blacks and yet, whites, spanish, asians, love the black culture and try to emulate it.

Or did I miss it completely? I usually am able to get the messages in hip hop.

Sounds like someone is trying to be controversial to boost record sales and get attention to me...

As for that song, I think I am missing the point? Is he talking about how we are all one, as in the original man from Africa? Or is he more taking a shot a commercialization of rap dumbing the black race down? It also seemed like he was saying that the power holders in this country blame blacks and yet, whites, spanish, asians, love the black culture and try to emulate it.

I missed it too. I think it was all of those things though, he jumped around pretty fast but I believe all those points were covered.

Nas has always been one of the best MC's. Illmatic is one of the top albums of all time IMO.

Not just Illmatic, but Stillmatic and God Son as well.

As far as this song, the message I kinda get from it is a connection with oppressed peoples of all types. And how those in power try to use the oppressed via a divide and conquer strategy. So its like crabs in a barrell, only some think that they are outside of the barrell. And then that last verse is kinda hinting on how that oppression impacts the mindset of the oppressed, where he talks about going to war and such.

DROP THE ****ING BEAT ALREADY....geez. talk about a snoozefest.

easily the worst hook of all time :doh:

I'm curious to hear the rest of the album...but it sounds like he's just being controversial for the sake of being controversial....overall the track is kinda weak.

edit: Stillmatic is a TERRIBLE album:2cents:

Exactly :cheers:

What's up with the hanging video? Going for shock value? :doh:

I kinda think thats part of the story in the video. Isn't it the same kid who witnesses the hanging that goes and gets a machine gun in the next scene? I thought he was kinda trying to get the viewers to drive a link between between the actions that the oppressed take and the the oppression that helps to drive them to those actions.

how you gonna have classic track(s) and the album be called trash? Maybe its not a classic album, but you've gotta give it more credit than just trash.

I havent listened to the album in a few years. So i cant give you my opinion on each and every song. Fine, it's not trash..the album has a couple great songs and a handful of terrible songs

I think he was saying that ****** is now a word for all people who are discriminated against. He didn't say white ****** he said Kyke ******. So I think he is implying that Jews, blacks, spainsh people are the new oppressed. I dunno maybe im looking to far into it.

"New world order slave trade is mininum wage, medicade, can the devil fool a muslim now and days, inside my lab going mad, took two drags of the blunt and started breakin' down the flag: The blue is for the crips, the red is for the bloods the whites for the cops, and the stars come from the clubs

or the slugs that ignites, through the night, by the dawn

Early light, while our sons fighting for the stripes." RZA

Here's an article I was able to find about this video:

(click on the link for the full article)

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1588421/20080530/nas.jhtml

Nas Unveils Spike Lee-Inspired Video, Cover Of Controversial New Album

'If you're not taking chances, putting your career on the line, it ain't fun no more,' MC says of edgy clip.

By Shaheem Reid

NEW YORK — Nas was a walking pull quote Thursday night as he stood in front of journalists and bloggers at the Tribeca Grand Hotel.

"I ain't Farrakhan or Chuck D," he said about the message on his new album. "I'm just a Queensbridge n---a that got rich. ... I love pissing people off and stirring up stupid mutha----as."

Nas invited the media and others to see the world premiere of his video for "Be a ****** Too." The clip was directed by Rik Cordero, who's earned a name for himself helming clips for Ghostface Killah, Beanie Sigel, Styles P and other MCs on shoestring budgets.

"Nas offends no one by offending everyone," Cordero said, addressing the crowd in the small auditorium. He revealed that much of the imagery in the video — such as Nas talking to himself and rapping in front of a mirror — was inspired by Spike Lee's film "25th Hour." The clip shows how the racist behaviors of yesteryear correlate to modern-day prejudices. The video concludes with a slave getting lynched.

Actors Andre Royo and Gbenga Akinnagbe from HBO's "The Wire," John Cho from "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle," and the outspoken Danny Hoch all make cameos. "They heard the song and were supportive of what we do," the director said.

Nas is satisfied with the video just being a part of his viral campaign, but he's optimistic that MTV will play an edited version. He said the video could hit airwaves "if MTV is open-minded and understands this is music. ... They had pretty wild stuff through their history. I think they know how to edit that."

Nas recently had to drop the planned album name of ****** for his July 1 opus due to political pressure. Instead, it will be untitled. He said that when Al Sharpton released a statement in the wake of the name drop and claimed partial responsibility for it, it was a false victory.

"This record is about how the older generation looks down on us. ... There's a crew of older black people, [they're] on their way out and we're on our way up," Nas said. "It looks like hip-hop n---as is about to make that Oprah money, and that's scary to them."

(the article continues after this)

All it is, is a complete spin on "The 25th Hour" when the dude is in the mirror on his racial tirade. What he is doing instead is the opposite, saying that everyone in this country is one and that everyone should be proud of who they are and embrace each other the way they view themselves.

In urban areas, the word is used as a term of endearment (am sure this has been discussed before here on ES but I missed that, so sorry if I am beating a dead horse). I am white and 97% of my friends are black and my wife is black. When I come home to the DMV, I spend most of my time in DC (KDY, Good Hope Rd, Eastover, Langston Ln, Simple City, etc.) and to all of them I am not white I am their "n". Same thing when I go to Newark to see my wife's family and friends.

I think alot of people are looking too much into the meaning of this song to create controversy. But that's how Nas operates, makes you think about everything he drops.

But here are a few more of Nas' new tracks....he just dropped a mixtape on Monday too.

Hero

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2oFigh_kQMM

Fried Chicken

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zgtpHxILjuc

Black President

http://youtube.com/watch?v=69Z5AKVwCNk

Archived