Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com - Top 10 RBs of All Time

doncherry

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=yasinskas_pat&id=3422309&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

Top 10 RBs of All Time

Don Shula, Marv Levy, Emmitt Thomas, Jack Bushofsky, Dan Reeves, Jerry Richardson, Robert Smith and Floyd Reese helped ESPN.com evaluate the best running backs in NFL history. ESPN.com weighed their contributions, balancing rankings with anecdotal evidence and statistics to create the following list:

1. JIM BROWN

Career: Upon retiring before '66 season, the Browns' RB was all-time leader in rushing yards (12,312), all-purpose yards (15,549) and touchdowns (126).

Quick quote: "Incredible combination of speed and power. As a defensive back, I'm happy he retired just as I came into the league, because my career might have been a lot shorter if I had to tackle him.'' -- Thomas

2. BARRY SANDERS

Career: Sudden retirement in '99 came with the Lions' RB trailing only Walter Payton on the all-time rushing list. Ran for more than 1,500 yards in a season five times.

Quick quote: "He's the only guy I've ever seen who could hurt defenders without touching them. He'd have them twisting their ankles and running into each other.'' -- Reese

3. WALTER PAYTON

Career: Played on mediocre Bears teams until late in career but retired as leading rusher (16,726) in history.

Quick quote: "The most complete back ever."' -- Shula

4. EMMITT SMITH

Career: Smith, who played 13 seasons for Dallas and two for Arizona, took over as all-time rushing leader in '02. His 164 rushing touchdowns are the most in history.

Quick quote: "Phenomenal and extremely tough player. Incredible balance and leverage.'' -- Reeves

5. GALE SAYERS

Career: Knee problems forced him to retire in '71 after seven seasons with the Bears. At 33, he was the youngest person selected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Quick quote: "I used to watch him and say, 'How can anybody be that good?'" -- Levy

6. LADAINIAN TOMLINSON

Career: The Chargers' RB has at least 1,200 rushing yards and 50 receptions in each of his first seven seasons.

Quick quote: "He brings as much versatility as any running back ever has.'' -- Smith

7. MARSHALL FAULK

Career: Began career with Indianapolis in '94 but was traded to St. Louis in '99 and became cornerstone of "Greatest Show on Turf." First running back in history to lead his team in receptions in five different seasons.

Quick quote: "Could have been an All-Pro as a wide receiver.'' -- Bushofsky

8. O.J. SIMPSON

Career: The Bills' great became the first player in NFL history to rush for 2,000 yards in a season when he gained 2,003 in '73.

Quick quote: "He had it all. He had the same type balance as Jim Brown, and he could just keep going and going.'' -- Reeves

9. LENNY MOORE

Credentials: One of Johnny Unitas' key weapons for the Colts, he scored a touchdown in 18 straight regular-season appearances between '63 and '65.

Quick quote: "He may be underappreciated, but he was very similar to what Marshall Faulk has been more recently.'' -- Richardson, who was Moore's teammate for two years in Baltimore.

10. ERIC DICKERSON

Credentials: Reached 10,000 rushing yards in 91 games (the fastest pace in history) and rushed for 2,105 yards in '84. Played for Rams, Colts, Falcons and Raiders.

Quick quote: "He didn't look fast, but he was so long-legged that he could go the distance.'' -- Reeves

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Emmitt played in the weakest division in football his entire career.

Really?

The Giants won the super bowl in 1990, The Redskins in 1991, The Cowboys in 1992, 1993 and 1995. All the while the Eagles had a ferocious defense. Care to to try again?

Really?

The Giants won the super bowl in 1990, The Redskins in 1991, The Cowboys in 1992, 1993 and 1995. All the while the Eagles had a ferocious defense. Care to to try again?

So, basically, this really is a thread about Emmitt, isn't it?

I'm glad they put Sanders at #2. He's the best ever in my mind. Imagine him on ANY other team. :yikes:

Easy to say when you never saw Jim Brown play. Honestly, OJ Simpson should be much higher on the list, 2000+ yards in 14 games is pretty damn incredible. Where is Earl Campbell? MVP his rookie year, 8 time all pro. Emmitt is ridiculously overrated. He had great vision, but put him on Barry's Lions and he probably would have retired WAY before he came close to the record.

So, basically, this really is a thread about Emmitt, isn't it?

It wasn't but you apparently want it to be so let's look at your so-called weakest division in football during Emmitt's career (Dallas 1990-2002)

When you look at the divisional records for that time period with the teams that now constitute the NFCE you'll find:

NYG 59-42-1

DAL 59-43

PHI 54-48

WAS 41-60-1

I and most likely everyone on this board (I would hope you too) don't believe your comment. But you apparently would rather besmirch the entire NFCE and thus your own beloved skins in a very weak attempt to slam a Cowboy. It must be a real internal drama trying to figure out which is more important. Hating the Cowboys or loving the skins.

Everyone can decide for themself if the NFCE was the weakest in football and what team(s) contributed to any said weakness.

I have always had the top three as Brown, Sanders, & Peyton. It gets harder after that for me with so many worthy backs (Dickerson & Emmit are close talent-wise but Emmit having the longer carreer and SB rings) and then the rankings get even more complicated factoring in damn "circumstances" (like the brevity of Sayers career, Earl Campbells lousy teams, OJ etc.). LT definitely leads the new generation. Faulk's awesome but he's like a special class of half-receiver. Curt Warner was great but ijnuries hampered him. Marcus Allen at his best was right up there. Etc.

I just don't see M. Faulk is the #7 RB of All-time. My opinion is based mostly upon watching the majority of the games he played during his 5 yrs in Indy. He was a very good receiver but as a RB he was just pretty good. He avg only 3.8 ypc and never had a season better than 4.1ypc.

He obviously went on to bigger and better play in STL (which I didn't watch very regularly) and his receiving skill may help make him deserving of this ranking. As purely a runner, I don't think he was a Top 10 All-time RB.

I would rather have faced Barry Sanders every time over Emmitt. Sanders was a home run hitter but he couldn't get the tough yards. Emmitt on the other hand wore teams down and always seemed to get the yards when they when needed.

As for all time, Jim Brown was second to none. I'd put Walter Payton at #2 and then Earl Campbell.

I would rather have faced Barry Sanders every time over Emmitt. Sanders was a home run hitter but he couldn't get the tough yards. Emmitt's line on the other hand wore teams down and always seemed to get the yards when they when needed.

As for all time, Jim Brown was second to none. I'd put Walter Payton at #2 and then Earl Campbell.

fixed that for you

Archived