Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

“Who Gives a Sh*t about World Opinion?”

rv581

From www.laststory.com

“Who Gives a Sh*t about World Opinion?”

The image of America… has changed. Instead of isolating Saddam Hussein, we seem to have isolated ourselves.” –Sen. Robert Byrd, D-WV

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.” –John Wayne, The Shootist

With all due respects to Sen. Byrd—an 85-year-old U.S. Senator and former KKK member—I’ll side with the Duke. Despite assembling a coalition of 45+ nations in our war against Iraq, certain leftwing holdouts seem intent on convincing themselves that the United States is all alone, the victims of self-inflicted wounds of arrogance. It’s not true, of course, but it satisfies the desire of some to find affirmation for their beliefs. You see, Senator Byrd and his likeminded compatriots recognize that public opinion in the United States has instead left them isolated; support for war was about 65% to 70% before the invasion even began… and that number appears destined to rise even further. So, the Senator hopes to rely upon world opinion for support, having lost his support at home.

A coalition of 45+ nations certainly doesn’t qualify as isolation… but for the sake of debate, what if Senator Byrd was right? What if the United States really was isolated? Would you care?

Most would prefer global adulation to condemnation, but the truth of the matter is that it doesn’t matter one iota what the rest of the world thinks—and isolation from petty dictators might not be a terrible thing. So China, Iran, Cuba, Libya, and North Korea believe our nation’s policies are misguided. Who gives a sh*t? Since when should a totalitarian leader hold veto power over American action? So France and Germany—the historic battered wife and foul-tempered husband of Europe—don’t feel that Saddam’s weaponry and ties to terrorism constitute a tangible threat. Since when did Germany and France, of all nations, become expert prognosticators about the intent of a warmongering tyrant? Of course, neither France nor Germany offered to fund the American military buildup that reintroduced U.N. inspectors to Baghdad, nor did they announce any sort of assistance to American victims of terrorism should their prognostications prove woefully inaccurate. Instead, they issue proclamations from afar without the complications of responsibility.

People use the term “world class” to denote a high level of quality… but if you think about it, you realize that most of the world is socially backwards, educationally deprived, and ethically bankrupt. A man living in a nice house with a fully-stocked refrigerator, running water, and basic human rights is “American class.” A man living in a dirt shack under the rule of a corrupt, immoral regime is “world class.” Hey, most of the people in the world are starving, denied basic human rights by their government, or illiterate. Yet the United States of America should give a rat’s *** that their citizens might not agree with the conclusions of our populous? This is self-loathing to an absurd degree.

You go to any sports bar on Sunday and you’ll witness one football genius after another pin-pointing the miscalculations of NFL head coaches. It’s easy to make inflammatory conclusions when it’s not your head on the line. But the United States is a true superpower and as such, lacks the freedom of theoretical musings. Instead of admonishing Bush for using force against Iraq—a country that’s hardly the poster-country for benevolence—the citizens of the world should stand in awe of America’s restraint. Never before in world history has one country possessed the ability to so utterly dominate the world with its military… yet chosen not to, because of its moral conscious. France, England, Rome, Germany, Japan, the Soviet Union, Babylonia, Rome, Greece, China, and every other great world power used its prowess to conquer. We use ours to build McDonald’s and donate aid packages. Stop for a moment and contemplate the great distance between these two philosophies.

The leftwingers who so passionately whine about world opinion never cared when doing so came in conflict with their own beliefs. The radical left, which cared deeply when the Pope condemned a possible war against Iraq, failed to recognize the Pope as a moral leader when it came to abortion. The radical left, sounding so remorseful because many African and Middle Eastern nations disagree with American foreign policy, somehow neglects to note that these African and Middle Eastern nations disagree with them about women deserving liberty and freedom.

The not-so-secret truth is that the left only cares about world opinion when it coincides with their own political agenda. When it doesn’t, men like Robert Byrd do what they want anyway, relying on “principles.” That’s certainly their prerogative, but we’d be folly not to note their jarring hypocrisy. Using world opinion to justify or criticize American policy is a red herring, a tool of misdirection. It serves as a political commercial for a different agenda entirely.

When John Wayne said, “I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on,” I’m sure he sincerely meant it—even if the government of France disagreed with him over what constituted a threat.

Byrd didnt in 96.

But such is the hypocrisy of the Dems.

To those who would doubt the necessity of the actions by the president, one should pose the question as to what the consequences would be in the face of American inaction. First, clearly, no other country would take the lead. The signature of the current era is such that response to aggression will not be taken up by other powers in the absence of American leadership, unfortunately. This was the case in the invasion of Kuwait. It was the case in Bosnia when, after several years of Western inaction in the face of ethnic atrocities in Bosnia, only the United States, only the United States, could bring about a credible, effective implementation of peace in that sorry part of Europe. . . . It is American leadership which is decisive to the peace in these regions, and I commend President Clinton for his decisive action. It was necessary to weaken the Iraqi leader's ability to intimidate his neighbors, and to make it clear that he will pay a price for his aggression.

Senator Robert Byrd, September 1996

Originally posted by gatorconman

Amen!

It's time we demonstrate to the world that we know who are true allies are and the rest of them can kiss our collective asses.

We DON'T know who are true allies are.

But we're learning...

and theres going to be hell to pay.

Archived