Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jets ownership NOT HAPPY with Jets FO over handling of Coles' situation........

TC4

Hey Bufford, I found this interesting item this morning on Pro Football.com. Maybe you can share this with out Jets "friends":

JETS FRONT OFFICE IS UNDER THE GUN

In the wake of the departure of go-to receiver Laveranues Coles to the Redskins, a league source tells us that the New York Jets' front office is facing heavy scrutiny from owner Woody Johnson.

According to the source, the decision not to tender Coles at the highest possible level (i.e., $1.8 million), which would have guaranteed a first-round and a third-round draft pick, coupled with the current clusterfudge that's unfolding as the team tries to replace him is shaking Johnson's confidence in the folks who are running the team.

Earlier this week, published reports indicated that the Jets have spoken to as many as 15 teams regarding a possible trade for an established receiver. Names that have surfaced include Minnesota's Randy Moss, Cleveland's Kevin Johnson, and Tampa's Keyshawn Johnson.

Another source tells us that the perception around the league is that the desperation approach resulted from the fact that the Jets simply had no plan for replacing Coles. This suggests to us that the team merely assumed no one would be willing to part with a first-round pick for him.

As it turned out, the Redskins were willing to sacrifice a first-rounder -- and $35 million over seven years.

We assume that, in the end, there were some in the Jets organization who wanted to match the offer sheet that Coles signed with the 'Skins. Coach Herm Edwards has called Coles the team's MVP in 2002, and we suspect that Herm wanted to keep him around. So if the Jets take a step backward in 2003 with chronically underachieving, 32-year-old receiver Curtis Conway as the only man signed (yet) to take Coles' place, look for fingers to be pointing back and forth among the coaching staff and the front office.

Originally posted by NavyDave

Well fingers shouldnt point at the coaching staff if they wanted to keep Coles.

Well, I think that Jets GM Bradway is gonna bear the brunt of this one.

All he has to do was pony up an extra $500K and the Jets might have had an offer in place that most teams wouldn't have touched.

Originally posted by NavyDave

I wonder if that 3rd rounder added would have made a difference if we wanted Coles?

Well I could be wrong, but I heard that the 3rd rounder was too low down in the 3rd for us to have been able to make the offer.

When Danny targets a guy who can be a difference maker for the skins I dont think a lil thing like an additional pick will hinder him from making the move but the Jets should have be more agressive in taking care of their free agents.

THe Skins using the Jets as a minor league farm team should have other teams rethinking their approach toward their up and coming restricted free agents.

Originally posted by Die Hard

Cerrato was recently quoted in the Washington Times - a direct quote... so it can be taken at face value - saying that had the compensation required a 3rd rounder... the Skins wouldn't have been interested.

Just an FYI.

I wonder if this means that they are thinking about packaging that pick with our 2nd to move up an pick DL.

I worked with a guy from Vietnam about 15 years ago. Our boss left him a note about a project were working on and in the note our boss wrote "FYI."

They guy brought me the note and asked me want "FYI" meant. I told him it meant, "F^ck you Idiot."

You should have seen the look on his face. It went from shock to anger. He started cursing and stomping around the office. He couldn't believe our boss would say that to him.

When he confronted our boss, My boss just busted out laughing, which angered him even more until my boss explained what it truly meant.

Then he went looking for me......

:laugh:

Archived