Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jon Stewart interviews Douglas Feith (Former Undersecretary of Defense Policy)

Springfield

Is this funny?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Is this funny?

• Yes, I think it's funny.
    • Neutral.
    • No, I think it's the opposite of funny.
    • Other.

Say what you will about the man, but Jon Stewart does an interview better than anyone else in the media. He is fair, honest and has a completely normal discussion with somebody who's opinion is greatly different than his. He allows his guests to have their say and offers his opinion in rebuttal in what is usually a great forum of debate. Also, he actually reads the material of his guests unlike most of the other jerkoffs in the media.

Sure it is a comedy show full of fake news, but the interviews are usually spot on and after watching an episode I feel slightly enlightened. 24 Hour news networks should take notice, this is how to do a fair and balanced interview.

Douglas Feith interview, May 12 2008:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=168543&title=douglas-feith-uncut-pt.-1

Link to part 2 can be found right below part 1

I have always said that about Jon Stewart. I watched an interview with Newt and it was pleasant

They both talked there points and had an intelligent conversation. I really like the way that someone with totally differing views can have informed dialog. No yelling or screaming just both people putting the views out there.

Refreshing.

I saw that interview. Good interview, with good points on both sides of the argument.

I do remembber at the very end, when Stewart gives the final plug for the guy's book, he says something about it being really heavily footnoted, making for SLLOOOOWWW reading, Feith looks irked, like, "hey thanks for telling the world my book is boring."

I saw the interview when it aired. I went to the internet to try to find the uncut version. It was great TV. I agree Jon Stewart is the best sereous interviewer on TV. He is smart, informed, and opionionated. He also allows the other person to talk and present their case and directly answers the other person's points. I don't think many news men are smart enough to actually approach an interview as a discussion.

I also credit Stewart with the cancelation of CrossFire and half a dozen other such programs. Stewart was a guest on Crossfire and they approached it like a funny non serious interview. Stewart in a decidedly un Stewart type mannor just openned up on them and said flat out they were what was wrong with news.

The networks save a lot of mony by hiring two talking heads and programming they will always disagree regardless of the issue. It's cheap programming and a great way to fill airspace; but it does nothing to inform the public about the issues. Steward's condemnation was so strong and pointed the program was off the air within weeks....

What's interesting about the Daily show and scary is; That's how most young people get their news today, not from the network news shows anymore but from comedy central.

I also credit Stewart with the cancelation of CrossFire and half a dozen other such programs. Stewart was a guest on Crossfire and they approached it like a funny non serious interview. Stewart in a decidedly un Stewart type mannor just openned up on them and said flat out they were what was wrong with news.

My favorite exchange from that interview:

Stewart: How old are you?

Tucker Carlson: 35.

Stewart: And you wear a bow tie. Now, I'm not saying you're not smart--I mean, those things are really difficult to tie.

What's interesting about the Daily show and scary is; That's how most young people get their news today, not from the network news shows anymore but from comedy central.

It's true, as a young person I whole heartedly agree. This really says a lot, not about comedy central or young people, but about the 24 hour news outlets. When you can get this caliber of interview from a comedy channel, you would expect that the news channels should easily be able to best it. But no, out of the news channels you get mindless drivel and uber-opinionated interviews.

On a completely unrelated not (but I did create this thread, so I'll do what the **** I want)...

Happy birthday to me! 26 years old mother****ers! Not such a young person anymore! Everyone drink one today in honor of me!:silly:

My favorite exchange from that interview:

Stewart: How old are you?

Tucker Carlson: 35.

Stewart: And you wear a bow tie. Now, I'm not saying you're not smart--I mean, those things are really difficult to tie.

That was my 2nd favorie exchange is my first was...(This is not an exact word for word quote but this is what I remember)

Stewart: You guys just sit here and yell at each other you contribute nothing really to the the dialouge.

Tucker: Does your show contribute anything to the dialouge?

Stewart: The show that comes on before me is puppets making obscene phone calls...what do you think?

Once Stewart said that I knew the countdown for Tucker being let go had begun.

Just as side-note: Ted Koppel really likes "The Daily Show"....he says it's an editorial cartoon come to life & says if more people are watching The Daily Show than the regular newscasts...it's not Jon Stewart's fault...but it's the fault of the networks.

Once Stewart said that I knew the countdown for Tucker being let go had begun.

You know they ended cross fire but they kept Tucker Carlson. He's got his own news segment.. A talking head with no oposition. That formate of two talking heads banging into each other is what was stopped. Stopped dramatically as viewership curtained after Stewart blased them.

Just as side-note: Ted Koppel really likes "The Daily Show"....he says it's an editorial cartoon come to life & says if more people are watching The Daily Show than the regular newscasts...it's not Jon Stewart's fault...but it's the fault of the networks.

Ted Kopel was one of my favorite interviews. He was the best interviewer on TV in the lat 1970's, 1980's and 1990's. I saw most of his shows. He didn't get it right all the time, but most of the time. When he got it wrong, it was really great TV too...

I remember when Kopel hat the Hitler diries debate on Nightline. Ted when through a two minute introduction of this 80 year old crusty FBI hand writing expert who had pioneered the technique of handwriting... They introduce the guy and he flat out says in his first sentense.... "This isn't Hitler's handwriting." Ted corrects him and says you only had the samples for 15 minutes prior to the show and all these other experts have supported them. Your not being realistic... the crusty FBI guy says... I trained all those guys, I'm the best in my field; and I'm flat out telling you this isn't hitler's writing.. Then he goes on to who pen stroke by pen stroke why so.. Ted didn't go back to him for the rest of the show.... It was awsome... the guy was 100% correct...

I remember after Brechnev died we had a series of new soviet leaders each one like 80-90 years old and died after days weeks or a month in office. Ted had Bignu Berzinski on when they anounced I think it was Andropov. Bignue said this is great news for us. Andropov is another old guy who will be dead in a month, the worst thing that could happen is a young reformer gets in like Gorbachev. If they keep going this way Bignue said the Soviet Union will collapse in three or four years... Ted chided him for saying that ... Sure enough... Zbignue was 100% correct...

Ted was a great interview, even when he got it wrong it was historic TV.

Archived