Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Smoot Safe?

Tay

I was just wondering, do you think Dan Snyder is competent with not haveing a first round pick?

I have a feeling that Snyder still want to make some noise on draft day. Is Fred Smoot still trade bait, so we can move up in the draft or will we keep what we have?

I was just wondering what y'all think will happen.

Smoot is probably being dangled to put us in a position for a blue-chip DT. I don't think we could get any higher than a mid 1st for him, but paired with our 2004 1st rounder we could get as high as Minnesota's pick. The front office will probably have Smoot on the block for the first 12 picks, then pull him back if there are no takers and all the DTs are gone.

Considering that most of us agree that he's as good as gone after the 2004 season, due in large part to the Bailey contract, than I support trading him for a 1st Rd. pick.

The scenario I would bless, should Snyder and Mendes call me.....

Trade Smoot to the Saints for the #17 pick. Trade down w/ a team anxious for a QB like Boller or Grossman, such as GB or Oakland, for an additional 2nd and 5th Rd. selection.

Draft....

#1 Either DT or DE here

-Joseph/Sullivan/Rien Long

-Haynes/K. Peterson/C. Redding

#2 - Rashean Mathis (CB/FS) Bethune- Cookman

#2 (additional) - Calvin Pace (DE) - Wake Forest

#3 Kevin Curtis WR (Preferably) or Tyrone Calico WR

#5 ****Trade Down to mid to late Rd for 6th Rd. pick****

James Lee DT Oregon St.

#5 (Additional) - Sam Williams MLB/OLB Fresno St.

#6 - Andy Groom P - Ohio St.

#7 - Tim Love DT - Harding

#7 - DE/DT Cliff Wasburn - Citadel

Is this not possible???? Would we not be happy?

Smoot and our number 1 (28-32) for a pick who can pick this guy:

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/story?id=1525479

Derrick Strait, CB, Oklahoma (5-11, 193)

Since redshirting in 1999, he's been a starter, so he should finish his career as a four-year starter in the tough Big 12. With excellent size for a cornerback, he isn't satisfied to be only a cover guy -- he's also strong against the run. He tied for the team lead with six interceptions and returned them 175 yards (an impressive average of 29.2 yards per return). He also led the team with 13 pass breakups. He was as good as (or better than) teammate Andre Woolfolk, a senior cornerback who figures to be at least a second-round pick this year.

smoot and our second and third, to minnesota would be the only thing i think would be worth it...a stud DT would be a fair trade off seeing as we gonna lose smoot next year anyways...that said i don't know if we can afford a seven pick, with lavar and champ signing on the horizon. so we keep smoot even though it would be nice to get something for him, as opposed to just losing him next year.

Guest Trevor

If we hadn't gotten Coles than I would have said that Smoot is a goner for sure as we would have used him to deal up for a wideout. Now, I would think he'll be here next year though if he's gonna leave anyway when his contract up then perhaps now is the time to deal him while he has value.

Archived