Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Recently bought a new car, why would dealer ask for these forms 3 months later?

n|n

I'm not an expert on DMV forms but hopefully someone can shed some legal light on why I'd be asked for 2 VA DMV forms.

The short story is I bought the car in Jan, I've already made payments, then these forms are overnighted to me (blank) asking me to sign where it says 'owners signature'. These are definitely directly from the dealership. One of these is a power of attorney so what am I signing away here?

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/vsa70.pdf

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/pdf/vsa66.pdf

The power of attorney is to broad for my comfort.

Have you received the title yet?

Have you talked to the dealer?

It sounds like a refinancing deal or else they screwed up the original paperwork.

I financed the vehicle so I assume the title went to the leinholder. Some of the original paperwork was, in fact, screwed up but I signed the new paperwork and was done with that a long time ago.

In a case where the title may have been lost I can see a new signature needed from me but really questions why my signature on a POA is needed.

The dealer needs POA to title the vehicle in your state and have the DMV send it to the lienholder. Pretty standard form when financing any vehicle.

If you got financing through small lender, just like housing, they sometimes sell your loan to a bigger outfit. This may be the case as well.

Get a full explanation before you sign anything. Both of those forms together look kinda shady to me.

Yep,there may be a reason for it but I fail to see the need for the POA since you are local.

btw, you should receive a copy of the title with the lien holder listed as well as yourself.

The dealer needs POA to title the vehicle in your state and have the DMV send it to the lienholder. Pretty standard form when financing any vehicle.

If you got financing through small lender, just like housing, they sometimes sell your loan to a bigger outfit. This may be the case as well.

I got back from Charlotte last weekend, and i have a realestate agent looking for places in Lenior now. I absolutely love Boone and the surrounding area.

I bought a car through carmax and b/c I financed through my credit union I had to sign those forms too, at least i think thats why i had to sign them. Either way, worked out well for me, but to be safe Id call and ask someone in the finance dept. Congrats on the new car by the way.

Edit: I just looked through my paperwork, no POA on my end, not sure why they would make you sign that.

I got back from Charlotte last weekend, and i have a realestate agent looking for places in Lenior now. I absolutely love Boone and the surrounding area.

I bought a car through carmax and b/c I financed through my credit union I had to sign those forms too, at least i think thats why i had to sign them. Either way, worked out well for me, but to be safe Id call and ask someone in the finance dept. Congrats on the new car by the way.

Edit: I just looked through my paperwork, no POA on my end, not sure why they would make you sign that.

No POA needed for used cars, since the car belonged to Carmax and was previously titled. Brand new cars from the dealer that needs a new title require POA unless you want to go out to the DMV and do it yourself.

Funny that you're looking to move here. We're thinking about moving back up there. :laugh:

Thanks for the kind words and the advice. Based on some of the comments here this seems like it could be legit. I'll probably look into this a bit more tomorrow before I decide to send the forms back.

No POA needed for used cars, since the car belonged to Carmax and was previously titled. Brand new cars from the dealer that needs a new title require POA unless you want to go out to the DMV and do it yourself.

Funny that you're looking to move here. We're thinking about moving back up there. :laugh:

Are you selling your home? I absolutely love it down there! I fell in love with the Mountains and noticed immediately that even if people dont know you, they will greet you and say hello. There is a lot of courtesy down there. pardon the cliche, but the term "Southern Hospitality" is given meaning down there. Definitely refreshing from some places up here. I cant wrap my head around why you would want to move up here besides the jobs, other then that, who would want to deal with the rush hour associated with NOVA and all the "charming" individuals around here. Land is much more expensive around here too, part of the allure in moving down there. I looked at a 5 bed, 3 and a half bath, on four acres with a barn for horse, 190K. I almost jumped on it, but figured if it was one of the first ones that I saw, then an agent could probably find some real jewels. Anyways, thanx for the insight on the carmax paperwork, good luck to the OP.

I do this everyday, the POA is used to do your title work and tag work(if needed). Otherwsie you have to physically sign the title to the lien holder and accompany a dealer representative, since there not going to give you the title to the DMV. Do it everyday, I wouldnt worry. The only thing I can't believe is that they want your social on that form, only a drivers license number required here. The second form is generally used if the first lender who financed your vehicle sold your contract or if the dealership lost the title or misliened the title to the wrong lender, another pretty standard form, the one in Florida is green and theres a red one for major ****ups.

That has happened plenty of times to me, however I've never had to re-sign paperwork in order for the loan transfer to take place.

Dude, you're coming to my territory. Don't bring any Canadians with you. :silly:

Archived