Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

i did my first mock draft

comments are more than welcome, positive and negative.

1. Miami Dolphins – Jake Long (OT) – scrub at RT currently, 1st rounder at LT currently, added good guard in Smiley, long completes a potential solid o-line for years to come. Will address QB/CB/DT/WR in later rounds.

2. St. Louis Rams – Chris Long (DE) – completes great d-line with Leonard little and Adam Carriker, adds power to d-line that ranked in bottom 12 in sacks and run yards allowed. Will address CB/S/LB/OL in later rounds.

3. Atlanta Falcons – Matt Ryan (QB) – after Vick, they need a franchise QB and Ryan is the best QB prospect in this draft. Will address DT/LB/OL in later rounds.

4. Oakland Raiders – Glenn Dorsey (DT) – completes a great d-line with Burgess/Kelly/Sands and replaces Warren Sapp. Will address OL/WR/RB in later rounds.

5. Kansas City Chiefs – Ryan Clady (OT) – good start at rebuilding a poor o-line. Led league in sacks allowed and lowest rushing average, need upgrade immediately. Will address G/CB/S in later rounds.

6. New York Jets – Sedrick Ellis (DT) – will be used as a DT in the Jets 3-4 scheme to complete a revamped d-line with solid LB corps behind it. Will address TE/OL/CB in later rounds.

7. Dallas Cowboys (from Patriots (from SF 49ers)) – Darren Mcfadden (RB) - the Pats rarely pick this high, especially coming off a 16-0 season and Superbowl loss, they’ll be looking for quantity. This pick will be traded to the Cowboys, who will draft Mcfadden to replace Julius Jones. The pats will receive both the Cowboys 1st round picks and the Cowboys 4th round pick.

8. Baltimore Ravens – Vernon Gholston (DE) – versatile defender that Rex Ryan can use in many different ways. Can play outside linebacker in a 3-4 and DE in a 4-3, and the ravens run both. Will address OL/WR/QB with later picks.

9. Cincinnati Bengals – Keith Rivers (LB) – best linebacker in the draft and will immediately help a weak run defense. Will address DL/S/LB in later rounds.

10. New Orleans Saints – Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (CB) – big physical corner with good man to man coverage skills, addresses big weakness for saints who ranked 30th against the pass. Will address S/OL/DT in later rounds.

11. Buffalo Bills – Devin Thomas (WR) – the bills need a big presence to compliment Lee Evans and Thomas is it. They lacked play makers in their WR corps and Evans/Thomas is a great combination. Will address TE/CB/OT in later rounds.

12. Denver Broncos – Jerod Mayo (LB) – big linebacker that will help improve the 30th ranked run defense. Will address DT/RB/S in later rounds.

13. Carolina Panthers – Derrick Harvey (DE) – big pass rusher that can play opposite of peppers that will give QBs nightmares. Will address DT/S/OL in later rounds.

14. Chicago Bears – Jeff Otah (OT) – massive tackle that can immediately upgrade a poor run offense that finished dead last in yards per attempt and 30th overall, as well as offer better pass protection to whoever the bears use at QB. Will address QB/DT/S/WR in later rounds.

15. Detroit Lions – Chris Williams (OT) – gives the lions a great tackle tandem on an offensive line that struggles with pass protection at times, and will help in the run game now that martz has departed. Will address CB/RB/S/TE in later rounds.

16. Arizona Cardinals – Phillip Merling (DE) – gives the cardinals an immediate pass rush upgrade which will help improve their 29th ranked pass D. Will address CB/RB/LB in later rounds.

17. Vikings - Leodis Mckelvin (CB) – great CB prospect that can immediately upgrade a struggling secondary that finished dead last against the pass. Will address LB/DE/TE in later rounds.

18. Texans – Rashard Mendenhall (RB) – Ahman Green is old and unhealthy, and the Texans need an explosive running-back to compliment Schaub and Andre Johnson. Will address OL/CB/S in later rounds.

19. Philadelphia Eagles – Malcolm Kelly (WR) – considered problematic after running a poor 40 time, but the eagles can’t pass up a playmaker like this. A receiver of this size is exactly what the eagles offense is missing and what McNabb has been after since TO left. Will address LB/S/OL in later rounds.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Brian Brohm (QB) – the Bucs need a future quarterback, and looking at their roster, they don’t have one. Over the hill backups and never were quarterbacks flow through the Bucs depth charts, so Brohm can be the potential QB of the future. Will address WR/DT/CB in later rounds.

21. Washington Redskins – Limas Sweed (WR) – Sweed is the exact playmaker the skins need to compliment their passing game. Campbell needs a big target other than Chris Cooley and with no receiver over 5’10 on the current roster, Sweed can be a potential #1 for the skins. Will address DE/G/S/CB in later rounds.

22. New England Patriots (from Dallas) – Dan Conner (LB) – the Pats need young talented linebackers to replace their aging corps and Conner could offer immediate help in the run game. Will address S/CB/LB in later rounds.

23. Pittsburgh Steelers – Branden Albert (OG) – with Alan Faneca leaving in free agency, Brandon Albert is the perfect fit for the Steelers, especially if they want Willie Parker running like he has been. Will address CB/S/OL in later rounds.

24. Tennessee Titans – James Hardy (WR) – enormous WR that the titans desperately need. Vince young at the moment has no targets besides Falcons vet Alge Crumpler. Adding a WR this size gives another dimension to this offense that is primarily run oriented. Will address DE/OL/CB in later rounds.

25. Seattle Seahawks – Kenny Phillips (S) – hands down the best safety in the draft and will be an immediate impact to an aging S corp. Will address TE/DT/OL in later rounds.

26. Jacksonville Jaguars – Kentwan Balmer (DT) – fits in right where Marcus Stroud left and will help bring that d-line back to where it was. Will address CB/DE/OL in later rounds.

27. San Diego Chargers – Jonathan Stewart (RB) – after losing Michael Turner to free agency, Stewart can be a valuable asset if Tomlinson is injured. This is also a good backup plan for when Tomlinson begins to fade. Will address LB/S/WR/DL in later rounds.

28. New England Patriots (from Dallas) - Aqib Talib (CB) – after losing Samuel and Gay to free agency, the Pats will need to upgrade their CB corps, and Talib fits perfectly. Will address LB/S/CB in later rounds.

29. San Francisco 49ers – Mike Jenkins (CB) – Walt Harris is on the wrong side of 33 and they will need an upgrade to a weak secondary. Jenkins can make an immediate impact next to Clements. Will address WR/S/DT in later rounds.

30. Green Bay Packers – Brandon Flowers (CB) – Harris and Woodson are reaching the end of their careers and there needs to be a replacement waiting in the wings. Flowers provides that plan. Will address DT/RB/S in later rounds.

31. New York Giants – Gosder Cherilus (OT) – the Giants need help on their o-line and Cherlius can provide an upgrade over their current players. If they want to maintain their steady run game with no name players, their line needs to be playing at a high level. Will address S/DT/OL in later rounds.

No way we pick up Sweed. He is not a physical guy. Tall? yes. Athlectic? yes. tough over the middle. no way and he cant take a shot either. He is a Moss type jump ball endzone threat.

That is not wht the skins need. What we need is another Cooley with a little more speed to play WR. My top prospects for a WR would be... in talent order...

James Hardy

Malcolm Kelly

Marcus Monk

Evan Moore

All these guys are big physical type receivers. They are not speedsters in the least, but they play the middle well and would be defended by Line backers and safteys anyway. No need to worry about matchups with corners. Plus, they all will be available in the later rounds.

IMO our first rounder has to be a stud OL or DL.

I like the mock btw. Well thought out. I just done like Sweed as the Redskins #1. Hes not worth first round money.

Good work BLC. While I disagree with Sweed, as IMO he isn't the BPA among the players you have still available, overall a decent job. I like the Pats-Boys trade as it seems feasible if indeed Mcfadden werre to fall there.

Branden Albert apparently is going a lot earlier unfortunately, in the top 15.

Good work BLC. While I disagree with Sweed, as IMO he isn't the BPA among the players you have still available, overall a decent job. I like the Pats-Boys trade as it seems feasible if indeed Mcfadden werre to fall there.

Branden Albert apparently is going a lot earlier unfortunately, in the top 15.

yeah, i saw albert skyrocket in the mocks, but i still think nobody takes a guard that early. honestly, when was the last time someone spent a top 15 pick on a G? its over a decade i think.

either way, i still think we'll take a WR/DE first. we didnt address either position in free agency and we need to improve both. is devin thomas is there i think we grab him, and i still think we take sweed if thomas and kelly are both gone. oh well, we'll know in 10 days!

and about sweed, just from looking at his size, combine numbers, and some of his highlights, the dude has great hands, hes very tall, and he runs very fluid routes. if he bulks up just a little i think he could be a braylon edwards type receiver, which is just what we need for campbell. we cant go into the season with our midgets and the question mark that is anthony mix.

5. Kansas City Chiefs – Ryan Clady (OT) – good start at rebuilding a poor o-line. Led league in sacks allowed and lowest rushing average, need upgrade immediately. Will address G/CB/S in later rounds.

Clady came off real bad in interviews with the Chiefs. If they go o-line, it would be Braden Albert who has been shooting up draft boards. In this situation though I think it's likely they go with Sedrick Ellis, or DRC/McKelvin

6. New York Jets – Sedrick Ellis (DT) – will be used as a DT in the Jets 3-4 scheme to complete a revamped d-line with solid LB corps behind it. Will address TE/OL/CB in later rounds.

The Jets can't pass on Gholston. They currently are depending their pass rush on Calvin Pace and Bryan Thomas, which won't get it done. On the d-line they already traded for Kris Jenkins and have Shuan Ellis and Kenyon Coleman. What they really need is an edge rusher.

7. Dallas Cowboys (from Patriots (from SF 49ers)) – Darren Mcfadden (RB) - the Pats rarely pick this high, especially coming off a 16-0 season and Superbowl loss, they’ll be looking for quantity. This pick will be traded to the Cowboys, who will draft Mcfadden to replace Julius Jones. The pats will receive both the Cowboys 1st round picks and the Cowboys 4th round pick.

:doh: I wanted McFadden just as much as any Cowboy fan, but when Cleveland started winning, the dream went away. Unless he falls out the top 10, I doubt we even inquire about a trade.

23. Pittsburgh Steelers – Branden Albert (OG) – with Alan Faneca leaving in free agency, Brandon Albert is the perfect fit for the Steelers, especially if they want Willie Parker running like he has been. Will address CB/S/OL in later rounds.

Albert is gonna go top 15. Maybe a tad high for a gurad, but several teams look at him as a RT prospect.

24. Tennessee Titans – James Hardy (WR) – enormous WR that the titans desperately need. Vince young at the moment has no targets besides Falcons vet Alge Crumpler. Adding a WR this size gives another dimension to this offense that is primarily run oriented. Will address DE/OL/CB in later rounds.

lack of talent at the wr position for the titans is like the 800 lb gorrila in the room, but they won't go WR. They'll draft a DE and probably a CB before they go WR, just watch

and about sweed, just from looking at his size, combine numbers, and some of his highlights, the dude has great hands, hes very tall, and he runs very fluid routes. if he bulks up just a little i think he could be a braylon edwards type receiver, which is just what we need for campbell. we cant go into the season with our midgets and the question mark that is anthony mix.

If you read a little more about Sweed, or watch some NFL networks "path to the draft", almost every comentator form ex players to scouts all think Sweed is very over-rated. They all say the same thing. He is good in space, he is fast, he has big reliable hands, he runs good routes.

Thats all well and good, but think about it. We have those exact players already, but without height. Height is not going to answer our WR need. What we do need is a big tough WR with reliable hands. Some one to move the chains and hit the endzone.

We already have our speedsters in Moss and El. Throw Portis and Cooley into the mix and the only peice you are missing for a balanced attack is a guy like the aformentioned players.

IMO, I think taking Sweed that early will be a bad investment. We will end up with a great WR with all the tools we dont need.

Its like throwing another scraper into your toolbox full of scrapers, when you really need a prybar.

Shawn Andrews went 16th. not quit top 15, but one pick away.

He was a left tackle in college, and could probably play it in the nfl if forced to. The eagles picked a massive athletic LT who had weight problems and turned him into an all pro guard. I believe Albert is strictly a college guard who teams project could play LT in the nfl (and has a few times in college). So i could see albert going high too.

I actually think this is the best mock I've seen for the 2008 first round. Better than the experts, better than the bloggers and better than anything else on ES. I think BLC actually did a great job of targeting the teams weakness and plugging it right away. Take for instance the Bengals. Alot of mocks have them going in every direction but LB. Didn't they lose almost all of their LB's and had a DE playing OLB in a Monday night game, because they were short of players? All in all I give you an "A". Way to go!

I know this is off-topic and I don't want to derail your thread but the title makes it sound like you have acheived some sort of early-life milestone like using the potty for the first time. :D

haha youre right' date=' my title is hokey as hell! thank god i didnt put the exclamation point at the end or that would have been even worse.

I actually think this is the best mock I've seen for the 2008 first round. Better than the experts, better than the bloggers and better than anything else on ES. I think BLC actually did a great job of targeting the teams weakness and plugging it right away. Take for instance the Bengals. Alot of mocks have them going in every direction but LB. Didn't they lose almost all of their LB's and had a DE playing OLB in a Monday night game, because they were short of players? All in all I give you an "A". Way to go!

thanks dude, i appreciate that. my only flaw is that i pretty much based all my picks on needs these teams have, vs BPA. every pick i made was pretty much plugging a huge hole on each team where it had a big weakness, and im positive some of these teams will opt not to fill a need, but to take the BPA.

He was a left tackle in college, and could probably play it in the nfl if forced to. The eagles picked a massive athletic LT who had weight problems and turned him into an all pro guard. I believe Albert is strictly a college guard who teams project could play LT in the nfl (and has a few times in college). So i could see albert going high too.

you sure I thought he played RT at Arkansas

Honestly we have other needs too, but IMO that is the position that will immediately make the offense better and that's what we need more than anything.

landry, mcintosh, washington, fletcher, carter, montgomry, springs, rogers (when back) are enough defensive playmakers, and we did finish 8th. another DE and a corner would be enough for me, as long as we play at the level we did last year. more turnovers from our D is all i really wanna see.

but on offensive, we couldnt move the chains at times. one big WR will really help in my opinion. taking heat off of cooley, and allowing our speedy little guys to do what they do best.

Essentially, what we need is a Cooley, in WR form. Cooley is outstanding because he catches everything, is valuable in the red zone, and can make 1st downs regularly.

Sweed would do exaclty that. Look at his tapes, he is the exact kind of player the Skins need.

]']Essentially' date=' what we need is a Cooley, in WR form. Cooley is outstanding because he catches everything, is valuable in the red zone, and can make 1st downs regularly.

Sweed would do exaclty that. Look at his tapes, he is the exact kind of player the Skins need.[/quote']

thats what i saw when i was watching his highlights. he needs a tad more bulk, but aside from that, the dude has suction cups for hands. he was making great catches, in stride, and hes extremely tall. not only does his endzone threat help the passing game, it helps open the running game down there.

on a side note, is anyone else glad that we'll probably never see the dated jumbo package again in the redzone every game?

you sure I thought he played RT at Arkansas

Weird, i was sure he played left tackle, maybe i was wrong. All i know is he was the consensus second best linemen (or thats how i remember it) and his only issue was weight. I remember reading up on his knockdowns and other blocking stats and being in awe. Even when he got overweight with the eagles (380) he was still effective, now he plays around 340 (after a friend died of a heart attack) i think and he is a monster. I really wanted the giants to get him. Having him with snee on the inside would be damn near unstoppable especially with Jacobs running behind the two.

BLC, great mock and great effort.

However, I know its easy to think that teams will try and fill needs with the draft, but so many teams go with BPA that your mock will probably not look like it. Obviously, you know that as it is impossible to predict what teams are going to do.

But if you have more BPA picks in the mock instead of need picks, you probably would be more accurate. At least thats my thoughts, but shoot what do I know.

But again, great mock and great effort. Enjoyed it.

BLC, great mock and great effort.

However, I know its easy to think that teams will try and fill needs with the draft, but so many teams go with BPA that your mock will probably not look like it. Obviously, you know that as it is impossible to predict what teams are going to do.

But if you have more BPA picks in the mock instead of need picks, you probably would be more accurate. At least thats my thoughts, but shoot what do I know.

But again, great mock and great effort. Enjoyed it.

thanks dude. and i agree, obviously ill end up missing like 90% of the picks because thats what happens on draft day. curve balls on draft day are the norm. but im sure some of these teams will just go with BPA, or try and trade out of thier spots. the pats are the only team i can see doing this.

yeah, i saw albert skyrocket in the mocks, but i still think nobody takes a guard that early. honestly, when was the last time someone spent a top 15 pick on a G? its over a decade i think.
Just to answer.

2001. Leonard Davis by the Arizona Cardinals at Number 2.

1998. Kyle Turley by the New Orleans Saints. At number 7.

Only a couple in the top 20 outside of those two though. Only those two in the top 15 since 1998.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position&position=Guards

Just to answer.

2001. Leonard Davis by the Arizona Cardinals at Number 2.

1998. Kyle Turley by the New Orleans Saints. At number 7.

Only a couple in the top 20 outside of those two though. Only those two in the top 15 since 1998.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?type=position&position=Guards

Both players were tackles in college. Davis played guard hist first 3 years, moved to tackle for 3 years, then signed with us to play guard. Turley had always been a tackle till last year. Albert is a college guard who may be able to play tackle.

Archived