Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GIK34's 3 Round Mock Draft

GridIronKing34

I wouldn't be comfortable with your safety situation with the tragic passing of Sean Taylor. You have Laron Landry at one position, he played some free safety but I haven't heard if that's going to be his set position. This is why I selected free safety DeJuan Morgan. It's a solid pick up in my opinion and that's why I went for him instead of a defensive tackle or wide receiver.

I'm actually very happy with our safety situation. Landry is a natural free safety, it's what he played for LSU, and really tore it up when he was placed thirty yards back, as indicated by his two-pick performance in our playoff game. Doughty is, as I've said, coming off of a B/B+ season in which he stopped the run and severly disrupted the short passing game of other teams. Remember that Landry was a rookie and Doughty was a second-year sixth-round pick. Nobody will ever replace the god in cleats, but there's no way I would pick up a safety in this draft before the seventh round.

I'm actually very happy with our safety situation.

Yea, but the Redskins aren't. That's why Zorn and Vinny were both quoted as saying safety was a need heading into this off-season.

:)

Nice mock, GIK. I still believe that Chris is the pick for you guys as well. I won't be too eccstatic with the Merling pick for the Skins, though. Scouting reports have him lacking in the 'natural pass rushing ability' area, and that's really what the Skins need most out of a DE. Blache covets a guy like Kerney who can stop the run and pin his ears back when necessary.

That is a good Mock draft but I do not think that the team will go with a DE until the mid to late rounds. Greg Blache seems to be satisfied with the prospect of platooning Wilson, Washington and Daniels again this year and his main focus on the defensive line seems to be a DT who can get pressure up the middle.

Thanks for the very good mock draft, GridIronKing. It is better than many "professional" ones I have seen, and well-thought-out. While I may disagree wih some of your choices, you provided good, solid reasons for each pick.

I agree that the Skins need to draft another safety, despite Doughty's good play at the end of last season. His limited speed and skills will be exposed this year as offensive coordinators focus on his weaknesses and game plan for him. BUT our needs on the OL and at DB are much greater. So I would pick one of the several good guards or DBs still available in the second and third rounds. It is a tough choice, however, since Nelson looks great at that point in the draft.

:helmet:

I like Merling in the 1st, but think we should go with CB sooner than later, I'd swap Morgan with a CB there, and also think it more likely that DE is picked up in a later round per everything I've read out of the FO. That being said, I'd take a high caliber CB in 1st if Albert is not there @ 21 and James Hardy in the 2nd if he is still there.

Just an observation as well, but I've read EVERYWHERE that we have picks 84 & 96 in the 3rd not 85 and 97 - is this a typo, or have you pulled this from some reliable NFL site? I looked on NFL.com, and googled it, and all I see is 84/96 not 85/97

please advise where you got 85/97 from

HAIL

I like Merling in the 1st, but think we should go with CB sooner than later, I'd swap Morgan with a CB there, and also think it more likely that DE is picked up in a later round per everything I've read out of the FO. That being said, I'd take a high caliber CB in 1st if Albert is not there @ 21 and James Hardy in the 2nd if he is still there.

Just an observation as well, but I've read EVERYWHERE that we have picks 84 & 96 in the 3rd not 85 and 97 - is this a typo, or have you pulled this from some reliable NFL site? I looked on NFL.com, and googled it, and all I see is 84/96 not 85/97

please advise where you got 85/97 from

HAIL

Many people consider the Miami Dolphins 2nd round selection at #32 overall, but I counted it as #33 overall so it moved everyone's selection back. It didn't hurt anyone, it's just how I put together the draft order. I counted the Patriots forfeited pick at #31 and then gave the Giants #32 and so on. Hopefully that explains it...

Archived