Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

U of Maryland College Park info needed

Pete

Don't know how many people here know of this world wide competition, Odyssey Of The Mind. My 15 year old daughter is in her third year of involvment, and for the second year, her team made the state finals. She was on two teams in defferent areas of competition this year.

One of her teams came in fourth place at the finals this weekend, which comming from the third largest state in entries, they did well. Her other team came in second, and is advancing to the world finals in May / June. We're extremely proud of her and her team. :applause:

With any luck, all the families involved with her team can come up with the money to send the Kids up to the U of Maryland College Park to compete. It would be a shame for these kids to come so far, to be denied the chance to compete. Room and board for the kids is 550.oo per, and transportation on top of that can make it a pretty costly trip for some of the families.

Odyssey of the mind world finals

Odyssey of the mind home page

So, knowing College Park is Redskin country, who can tell me about the area right around the school itself. The kids will be housed in the school dorms, so the parents will have some time to catch a little refreshment at night. Places to eat besides fast food, pubs, and how safe the neighborhood is would be helpful. We're gonna have time to kill with the kids too, so we figure on hoppin the metro to take the team into DC. My daughter is the only one who's ever been there, so it would be a high point for the rest of the kids.

:cheers:

CP isn't a bad place. It's a cute little area surrounding the campus. Venturing too far away from the campus can put you in interesting places that could be considered not safe. Also, it's not safe to wander around campus LATE LATE at night - people have been mugged and robbed.

Overall, not a bad place. If you're coming to visit, don't stay in College Park. Look to stay in Laurel (where we had the happy hour). It's cheaper, more hotel options, more dining options. College Park would only be a 10 minute drive up Route 1.

I'd be happy to help you find a hotel in Laurel, Greenbelt or College Park. I mean I live up here .....

Ok ... additional information. The area directly in College Park houses quite a few options for eating. There is a shopping center directly off campus that has Subway, a Bagel Place, South Street Steaks (Cheesesteaks), RJ Bentleys (restaurant), Santa Fe (mexican place), Cornerstone (mainly bar-ish food). RJ Bentleys, Cornerstone and Santa Fe turn into hot spots in the evenings and there's lots of Coed's there.

There is a metro station right by the campus. I believe that it's a green line station. It's maybe a 15 minute ride into DC.

Great to hear that you're daughters doing it, I did OM all throughout elementary and middle school, our team actually ended up placing 3rd in the World in 8th grade which was pretty awesome. We were out in Boulder but I digress.

I don't spend much time in College Park but I will say that there are some rather unsafe areas that run right up to the campus so be on the lookout but overall its not bad. CandiceM23's suggestions have pretty much covered everything I would have said and a day trip to DC is always a good idea.

I've never eaten there or drank there.

I've always wanted to stop in. How's the food?

I thought it was good. A little better than typical pub fare, the menu is varied so everyone can find something good. The real attraction is the beer. Really good stuff, many varieties and fresh. A great lunchtime spot on the weekends for families.

Pete, I would follow Candace's advice. When I was looking for a restaurant in DC, she and Kosher Ham were very helpful suggesting The Capitol Grille.

I would expand on her suggestion of Laurel as a place to stay. In West Laurel there is a Holiday Inn (actually its called the Maryland Inn). It is located right on the 95 exit and it is a straight shot down 95 to US 1 in College Park, traffic permitting 10-15 minutes. It is very centrally located so you could find numerous restaurants in the area. And if you like, there is an Outback Steakhouse in the hotel.

Hope that helps. Btw, I used to do room service in that hotel when the restaurant was The Brass Duck, intersting job to say the least.

Yes, Marathon. I haven't had their seasoned waffle fries for almost a decade, and yet I am still addicted to them. Lord, does that place ever have some good food.

Sadly, the awesome pinball and arcade filled place a few doors down is no longer with us. But Marathon lives...

Apparently, her team coach booked rooms 6 months ago right near the school knowing it would be tough getting rooms this close to the event. We have a meeting thursday night, so I should be able to get the name of the place then.

And I was just going to suggest the Greenbelt Marriott (and about a mile or 2 from Campus). It's across the street from a Federal courthouse, so as bad as Greenbelt can be... not at that hotel. I typically stay there when I come to town for a game (about 6 miles from the stadium), metro is right there (you could walk if needed, surely the hotel would drop you off though), beds are super comfy (second best sleep in a hotel ever (W in NYC being the best), and oh yeah...flat screen tv's on the swivel arm.

Santa Fe on Tuesdays (used to be at least) $1 bud and bud light bottles, so it is packed and completely uncomfortable, unless you just want to party. I used to go every year for Mardi Gras and half way to Mardi Gras...good times. Not a family friendly night though. haha. Most of the hotels on Rt. 1 are cheap, but they suck, old and filthy, last time I stayed at one I slept fully dressed.

Cornerstone is not bad, but not great, place smells like stale beer, so beware.

Bentley's pretty much the same. There is an Applebee's right there and used to be (maybe still is) a "Cluck U" wings place which is ok. 24 hour Mickey D's is pretty good.

Anyway there are all of the main chain places further up the road in Laurel (Rt. 1), and if you need a sports bar for any reason there is a Greene Turtle in Laurel which is a fun sports bar.

Have fun bro, and congrats to the daughter.

Greenbelt Marriott is where we met up with you guys Pete ... and Greene Turtle is where we had happy hour with everyone. :)

And how come I've never heard of Marathon Deli?

I'm guessing this is someplace that I should check out?

Maybe we should do lunch? lol

Seriously, everytime I drive by exit 25, I roll down Rt 1 and get a gyro. It's that good. It's a family run place, and they're real Greeks from Greece. Half the customers are students, the other half are alumni coming back for their fix.

Check it out.

Seriously, everytime I drive by exit 25, I roll down Rt 1 and get a gyro. It's that good. Half the customers are students, the other half are alumni coming back for their fix.

Check it out.

YES. They have something called a Kronor burger which is also awesome. Great hole in the wall place.

Seriously, everytime I drive by exit 25, I roll down Rt 1 and get a gyro. It's that good. It's a family run place, and they're real Greeks from Greece. Half the customers are students, the other half are alumni coming back for their fix.

Check it out.

Score! Lets make a day out of it. We'll go to Marathon Deli for the gyro meal, then we'll cruise down Route 1 to Costco in Beltsville and get diapers, toilet paper and milk in bulk - to prepare for the next snow storm.

• 1 month later...

Never had a chance to thank you folks for the input. We fly up tomorrow, and will be staying at the Holiday Inn College Park. The way the schdule is, I haven't a clue weather I'll be able to get out to have a little fun.

Hope the hotel has a bar, if all else fails.

Thanks folks.

Never had a chance to thank you folks for the input. We fly up tomorrow, and will be staying at the Holiday Inn College Park. The way the schdule is, I haven't a clue weather I'll be able to get out to have a little fun.

Hope the hotel has a bar, if all else fails.

Thanks folks.

Haha, I forgot it was you with OM who started this thread and I thought, why the hell did that get bumped.

Best of luck.

Archived