Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Everything You Need to Know About The Skins and the Draft

elkabong82

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=35053

A lot of this is info most of us laready knew, but the article talks at length about what Vinny has said regarding the draft, and where exactly the teams priorities lay. Like I said though, some of this we already knew, but this more or less confirms it, as well as vaguely laying out a blueprint for what the Skins will be doing in the draft.

1) DL, OL, WR, CB are the need positions identified by Cerrato

2) Any one of those positions could be taken at 21

3) The team would trade down from 21, not up, and would probably only do so on draft day itself, and probably only have the chance to do so if a player falls

4) Cerrato says draft is deep at OT, DE, and CB. The draft is thin at WR.

5) The WR talent is deep in the 2nd and 3rd rounders. Cerrato doesn't see any top 10 WRs, maybe not even top 20.

6) Cerrato is happy with the pass rush production of Carter, Washington, and Wilson, but the team is still looking at the top rated DEs, like Harvey and Merling.

7) Personell is looking for young, versatile O-linemen to develop into starters. Specifically Guard-Center and Guard-Tackles.

8) CB is not deep at the top of the draft, it is in the lower 1st round and early 2nd round.

9) Team has always had most success taking the Best Player Available

10) Cerrato says the team has to get a starter at 21, or at least someone who will be a fulltime starter within a year.

I really think we're going to go BPA between our biggest needs and to me it will likely be Branden Albert, Limas Sweed or Malcolm Kelly depending on who's left. I think we'll go DE in round 2 and CB with one of our 3rd round picks. But you never know...

I really think we're going to go BPA between our biggest needs and to me it will likely be Branden Albert, Limas Sweed or Malcolm Kelly depending on who's left. I think we'll go DE in round 2 and CB with one of our 3rd round picks. But you never know...

I still don't think we will take OL in the first round. In my opinion, we will go CB. I like DRC(don't think he'll fall), Brandon Flowers, and Justin King. Although I could see us taking Malcolm Kelly if he drops to #21.

i know cerrato says that the choice to trade down would be made on draft day, and BPA is likely going to guide all the picks, but it's fun to speculate so i will. the best case scenario, in my opinion, would be if we could find a team somewhere in the 4th-8th pick range in the 2nd and 3rd rounds willing to trade those (and their 2009 2nd rounder) for our first.

2 (early): DT Dre Moore!

2 (mid): Best CB available (Terrell Thomas?)

3 (early): WR Jordy Nelson!

3 (mid): Best DE available (Hopefully Calais Campbell falls)

3 (comp): WR Marcus Monk!

5 (mid): Best OG/OT available (Donald Thomas, Chad Rinehart)

6 (mid): Best CB/S available (Bobby Williams?)

7 (mid): C Jordan Lipsey

7 (comp): More O-line depth

7 (comp): Best S/CB available (whichever we didn't pick in the 6th)

we don't have any other positions which require anything but UDFAs to fill in as injury backups. what i like about this draft is that it gives us some redundancy at each position of need:

*WR) Anthony Mix, Jordy Nelson, and Marcus Monk can battle for the starting job opposite Santana, with ARE in the slot.

*DL) Calais Campbell (or whomever we pick there) and Chris Wilson fight for the pass-rusher DE spot; Phillip Daniels becomes our DE/DT, the way the Giants use Justin Tuck; and Dre Moore is a physical freak who will be the inside pass pressure that we need to help the ends.

*CB/S) a 2nd-rounder and a 6th-rounder can fix our CB depth problems while Carlos gets healthy and, who knows, one could end up being good. Reed needs some competition at SS, and Springs might dabble there too, so three picks between these two positions seems about right

*OL) either Donald Thomas or Chad Rinehart would work, both are good fits for a WCO offensive line, as is Jordan Lipsey. grab a 7th rounder to fill in whatever position we didn't get with the other two picks.

*edit* plus, we would have an extra 2nd rounder NEXT year, which is good.

We have all our starters returning and a lot of areas of need for depth/replacement. We have a proven duo in Scotty/Vinny re: the draft.

If we can't have a good draft under these conditions we're screwed.

Vinny is saying all the right things IMO. Now he just needs to remember it all starts on the lines and get it done when the clock starts ticking.

I don't think we're screwed ;)

I still don't think we will take OL in the first round. In my opinion, we will go CB. I like DRC(don't think he'll fall), Brandon Flowers, and Justin King. Although I could see us taking Malcolm Kelly if he drops to #21.

I think the guy we would take won't be there when we pick. Everyone loves Albert but I don't think there's anyway the best Guard lasts till the #21 pick.

the best case scenario, in my opinion, would be if we could find a team somewhere in the 4th-8th pick range in the 2nd and 3rd rounds willing to trade those (and their 2009 2nd rounder) for our first.

I think Jordy Nelson is going to go in the second round now--a lot of mocks have him there. I think the Redskins are going to have to face it and spend a second round pick on him or else he won't be there. Which sucks because this pretty much means the team won't draft him because it's a moderately large reach to take him at 51, and the team will go BPA.

Thus, I think the team will pull off a coup if these things happened:

These Players were gone by Pick 21:

DE - Derrick Harvey,

CB - Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, Mike Jenkins, Leodis McKelvin, and maybe Talib

OT - Jeff Otah, Chris Williams, Ryan Clady

OG - Branden Albert

None of the elite guys at other non-need positions fall that we would likely take.

This effectively leaves us with the Rd. 1 WR's, Merling, Campbell, Balmer, and Flowers as the BPA at need positions - none of which seem to be worth taking at 21. However, the team is able to trade picks 21 and 84 (rd. 3) to Atlanta for picks 37 and 48 (both in rd. 2). Then we would have three second round picks and a third rounder to work with.

Imagine a draft that could plausibly net a combinatione like:

Round 2: (Tracy Porter, Patrick Lee, Reggie Smith, any of the 2nd/3rd tier corners that fall) at 37, (Lawrence Jackson, Chilo Rachal, Trevor Laws/other defensive lineman that fall) at 48, Jordy Nelson at 51, and then someone like Dre Moore at 96. Either way, picking up three second rounders has to be the best plausible scenario for the team. Atlanta somehow has a ridiculous 6 picks in the first three rounds, 5 of which are in the top 68. If the Redskins could take advantage of this to gain 3 to 4 great prospects, then this would be ideal.

I think Jordy Nelson is going to go in the second round now--a lot of mocks have him there. I think the Redskins are going to have to face it and spend a second round pick on him or else he won't be there. Which sucks because this pretty much means the team won't draft him because it's a moderately large reach to take him at 51, and the team will go BPA.

Yea. I am afraid you are correct in regards to Jordy Nelson.

But it wont be so bad if we can trade down our 21st for another second rounder.

But all this is a moot point because the skins are going to trade Betts and a 2009 second round pick for Chad Johnson. ;)

Archived