Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question: Trading up to #1 draft pick

Equinoox

Nope, they don't want to be picking #1, as they shouldn't, because 1 player isn't going to fix their team. And that one player would get a huge salary and most likely never live up to the crazy dumb money they are given for being picked #1. They really need a rookie salary cap so picking #1 is actually "good" again.

The whole draft value chart should be chucked out the window. That chart is from the 90's (credited to Jimmy J.) and does not reflect the $$ you have to pay to top picks. I would imagine that each team has some version of this chart, which in all likelihood shows a much lower value for those top 5 -8 picks because of the salary escalation for top picks.

A team is forced to draft BPA in order to avoid busts because of cap ramifications. The contract that Russel got last year is about ~10m/year (of course the cap hits in front years is much less). That is on the order of what Samuel, Moss, and Hall got in contracts!

There's no reason for the Skins to pick 1st in this draft. Our holes aren't that big and the guys that are there to fill them aren't worth the value we could get with our other picks. We need solid players to go along with the outstanding ones we already have and there isn't anyone that is worth blowing our shot at drafting more depth.

Obviously could be a smoke-n-mirror tactic...or...Vinny could be telling the truth...

or Vinny is an idiot that wouldn't know a real prospect if they bit him on the butt...

If he really said that, I have even less faith in Vinny than I did before.

Archived