Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buffalo News: Stroud’s Steroid Use being Ignored

stwasm

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns/jerrysullivan/story/298085.html

There’s a lot of justifiable enthusiasm among Bills fans after the team’s bold foray into free agency. Russ Brandon, the new chief operating office, has fortified a young, promising defense and raised the expectation level for coach Dick Jauron. No more feel-good stories when they get to 7-7. Next season, they’ll be under pressure to contend.

Fans are so giddy they’re brushing off Marcus Stroud’s steroid suspension. If Stroud were a baseball player, he’d be an object of public suspicion and contempt. But there’s been barely a peep in town about Stroud’s steroid record. You’d think the NFL had nailed him for illegal parking, not illegal substances.

These are hard, cynical times. Governors, judges, defense contractors, high school coaches — everywhere you turn, someone is betraying the public trust. In the midst of all this scandal, who cares what some mammoth pro athlete puts in his body, so long as he’s ready to stop the run on Sundays?

Some background: In January 2007, Stroud had major surgery on his right ankle. Last November, the NFL suspended Stroud for four games after he tested positive for performing-enhancing drugs. Stroud said the banned substances were contained in over-the-counter dietary supplements recommended by his doctor.

Stroud said his only failure was a lack of research. Sure. That’s what all the athletes say when they get caught with their hand in the steroid jar. It’s the same excuse Shawne Merriman, the Chargers’ star linebacker, used when he got his four-game suspension two years ago.

Sorry for being skeptical, but after awhile you become numb to athletes’ denials. No one is ever guilty. All steroids are taken unwittingly. Barry Bonds didn’t know what he was taking. All Roger Clemens shot up was vitamin B-12 and lidocaine. Stroud and Merriman were innocent victims of tainted supplements.

The difference is in the public’s reaction. There wasn’t much of an outcry when Merriman tested positive. Baseball players are vilified for steroid use, but when an NFL player gets caught, the public reacts with a collective shrug.

But if I’m quick to bash Clemens, Bonds and the baseball crowd, I can’t be silent when the Bills trade for a known steroid user. This is an organization, remember, that claims to favor players of high character and intelligence. They should be held to a higher standard.

The Anthony Hargrove case proved the Bills will bend the standard if it helps them win. Hargrove had a history of substance abuse (non-steroid variety) when he came to Buffalo. The Bills gave him a second chance. He showed his gratitude by getting a four-game suspension at the start of last season (on top of a scuffle with cops outside a bar). Hargrove returned and swore he was a new man. Two months ago, he was suspended by the NFL for a year after a third violation.

Like Hargrove, Stroud says his troubles are behind him. We’ll see. If healthy, he’s well worth the risk. The Bills didn’t give up much to the Jaguars (third-and fifth-round draft picks). His price tag ($16.5 million over three years) isn’t high for a three-time Pro Bowl tackle.

Stroud’s ankle is a huge question mark, however. Teams don’t give up on run-stuffing tackles that easily. Stroud took supplements to help recover from ankle surgery. That’s one big reason athletes use performance-enhancing drugs — to help recover from injuries.

Who’s to say Stroud won’t cheat again if his ankle affects his ability to stay on the field? He says his steroid suspension is in the past. But it’s not that simple. If the baseball players don’t get the benefit of the doubt, neither does this guy.

As far as I’m concerned, the Bills traded for a liar and a cheat.

But all will be forgiven, I’m sure, if he helps the Bills stop the run.

I don't see what the big ****ing deal is about steroids. How the hell else do you think these guys get to become such physical freaks? It's not a big deal. They have more than enough money to pay nutritionists to greatly reduce or even eliminate side effects. It's a risk they've chosen to take, and I could give two ****s if some guy takes steroids as long as he is fully informed of the potential consequences.

I think people freak out about baseball players taking steroids because it's ****ing baseball. You don't exactly have to be Arnold Schwarzeneggar to sit on first base and swing a bat. Even so I don't really give a **** if baseball players take steroids.

Maybe I'm sounding ignorant here, but these dudes are adults and can make their own decisions. I think the current system we have is worse because it encourages athletes to remain ignorant of the side effects of steroids in order to maintain plausible deniability.

Also, about records and such...with the nutritional advances that occur every year, guys like Sean Taylor (a ****ing physical freak at 6'2 230lbs. still able to outrun most WRs and hit like a DT) and Barry Bonds are going to look like your average player in about 20 years. Hank Aaron wasn't taking no protein powder or creatine or any of these supplements that are perfectly legal and highly available for any athlete today. I doubt he even had a nutritionist on his entire team, whereas guys like Terrell Owens probably have multiple nutritionists for themselves only. Point is, steroids are hardly the main thing that are setting today's athletes apart from earlier players.

I don't see what the big ****ing deal is about steroids.

ummmm.... it's against the law? :whoknows:

Not to mention it takes away from the competition and the purity of the game. You see a lot of these guys who have worked thier entire lives to get to the physical peak that they are in, and you think it's really fair that someone without a concience can come in and within about a 1 - 2 year period, get the same results?

So you're saying that you can work for 40 years of your life to earn your retirement, but you have no problem with me robbing a bank to make sure i'm set for life... please :doh:

Not to mention it takes away from the competition and the purity of the game. You see a lot of these guys who have worked thier entire lives to get to the physical peak that they are in, and you think it's really fair that someone without a concience can come in and within about a 1 - 2 year period, get the same results?

So you're saying that you can work for 40 years of your life to earn your retirement, but you have no problem with me robbing a bank to make sure i'm set for life... please :doh:

:applause: :cheers: :applause:

I don't see what the big ****ing deal is about steroids. How the hell else do you think these guys get to become such physical freaks?.

How about hard work? The big deal is steroids are illegal and dangerous. Where is your information to back up your claim of nutritionalists being able to negate side effects?

What about the example it sets for the youth? You don't think its a bad idea for middle schoolers to see pro athletes shooting steroids in their ass for an advantage? That might not persuade them to try some sort of performance enhancer?

Now you can laugh at the idea of kids taking steroids, but I'm not even an athlete and I know I could get steroids if I wanted them. I'm sure the guys who actually took sports seriously in highschool know even better sources than I do. If they can make steroids completely safe, then hell let everybody take them. Untill then it's illegal.

Same deal with pot. I don't care if people smoke pot, hell I do too. The problem is these people are in the spotlight and it's against the rules. Whether they want to be or not they are role models. They also sign CONTRACTS that they need to live up to. What good does being 300 lbs and running a 4.1 40 do if they're suspended the whole year?

You were completely correct about sounding ignorant.:doh:

Anyone who thinks that professional level athletes, who are playing for millions, are not using performance enhancing drugs are fooling themselves.

As for steroids being "illegal," please give me a break. Law in this area has been screwed up for a long time, ever since big pharmaceutical companies began to have tremendous influence in what are classified as "drugs" and what are not.

Using steroids in sports is a fair game if all athletes have access to steroids.

Well said. :)

Anyone who thinks that professional level athletes, who are playing for millions, are not using performance enhancing drugs are fooling themselves.

As for steroids being "illegal," please give me a break. Law in this area has been screwed up for a long time, ever since big pharmaceutical companies began to have tremendous influence in what are classified as "drugs" and what are not.

Using steroids in sports is a fair game if all athletes have access to steroids.

I'm not going to sit here and say pro atheletes dont have access to it, or even say they dont use it. Me personally, i have morals. Sports should be about the better man winning. I played baseball for the better part of my early years and i looked at it like this. When i struck out, i worked harder. When i missed a fly ball, i took extra reps in practice, or out back with my friends to make myself better. I never looked to cut corners because if i lost, it's because i wasnt the better player that day.

Unfortunately it's not that way anymore, and the morals have essentially disappeared in instances like that.

What really throws a kink in it, is you see players like Ichiro. You think HE took steroids? NO. Yet he beat the longest consective games with a hit streak. HOW? Hard work, and understanding the game. That is the player i respect.

I recently read Cal Ripken Jr's book and i strongly suggest any man or woman read it. It really puts into perspective what hard work and determination can get you.

I'm sorry but i'm not going to sit here and believe that a chemical is the only way to increase a persons ability. It's just the easy way out.

look at this..OVC and I are in complete agreeance here. Hard work and dedication have taken a back seat to the easy way out BUT you do still have your players that just try hard and work even harder.

LT is a perfect example

and it's a sunday :doh:

this is a little strange

I'm not going to sit here and say pro atheletes dont have access to it, or even say they dont use it. Me personally, i have morals. Sports should be about the better man winning. I played baseball for the better part of my early years and i looked at it like this. When i struck out, i worked harder. When i missed a fly ball, i took extra reps in practice, or out back with my friends to make myself better. I never looked to cut corners because if i lost, it's because i wasnt the better player that day.

There may be exceptions, such as Ichiro, but majority of the time, athletes are taking performance enhancing drugs. I am willing to bet this happens in EVERY sports, including cycling.

Also, I don't think steroid use is "optional" or is "cutting corners." Its use is probably required if you are going to survive in pro sports. I don't think one can be competitive without it.

I remember when Roy Jones was a lb-for-lb best fighter in the world. In one fight, a year or so after he tested positive for anabolic steroids, he tested negative (it was against Tarver, I believe). Roy took a pounding. He lost to one who, once in Roy's prime, Roy would have used to mop floors.

Unfortunately it's not that way anymore, and the morals have essentially disappeared in instances like that.

I don't see it that way. I am convinced almost all players are using them -- why is it immoral to use it, when its use only places each player on an even playing field?

I'm sorry but i'm not going to sit here and believe that a chemical is the only way to increase a persons ability. It's just the easy way out.

In today's competitive pro-sports, one has to have every edge possible.

In such environments, it is probably mandatory one use steroids. The question is about what compound to use and how one should cycle them, so that one is not caught.

There may be exceptions, such as Ichiro, but majority of the time, athletes are taking performance enhancing drugs. I am willing to bet this happens in EVERY sports, including cycling.

Also, I don't think steroid use is "optional" or is "cutting corners." Its use is probably required if you are going to survive in pro sports. I don't think one can be competitive without it.

Ok, great. Next time the other job in whatever job you do is promoted because he/she slept with the boss, or gave the "customer" free goods, or lied, etc. - please don't complain - because, hey, he/she is just "surviving". It's B.S. and you ought to know it.
I remember when Roy Jones was a lb-for-lb best fighter in the world. In one fight, a year or so after he tested positive for anabolic steroids, he tested negative (it was against Tarver, I believe). Roy took a pounding. He lost to one who, once in Roy's prime, Roy would have used to mop floors.
So what? He should have used so he could win the fight? Is that what we've been reduced to as a society? :doh:
I don't see it that way. I am convinced almost all players are using them -- why is it immoral to use it, when its use only places each player on an even playing field?
You do understand that your argument basically can be simplified down to: "Everyone's Doing It!", right? Children and fools use that kind of logic.

In such environments, it is probably mandatory one use steroids. The question is about what compound to use and how one should cycle them, so that one is not caught.

The very fact that you say they should find out a way not to get caught is telling - it's against the rules for a reason. If it wasn't cheating - it wouldn't be against the rules. Feats of strength and endurance should be what games are made of - not how good can I cheat and how can I get away with it.

Would you teach your kids this? Can you honestly say, "Son/Daughter I think you should cheat. In fact you have to cheat."

I'm sorry, but that's cowardly and shameful. :2cents:

and it's thinking like this, that makes it so "everyone has to do it to make it even"

If this kind of thinking was out the door... and NOBODY did drugs... It's an even field and a legal one at that.

Essentially that is like lying on your resume in order to get an advantage trying to get a job. It's against the law, and it's not fair, yet it is done.

I personally have worked my way to where i am... never lied to any employer, followed the rules and let my performance do the talking. If i had done it any other way i wouldnt be able to really feel like i've accomplished anything.

To everyone in this thread other than SearchHorizon:

Do you work out?

If you do, do you use protein supplements?

If so, how would you feel about someone claiming that you are cutting corners or not working hard? How would you feel if they called you a cheater and wanted to take away all that you've accomplished?

Personally, I work out and did a lot of research on the supplements that would be most beneficial to achieving my goals. I believe that I work just as hard as anyone else out there. If they aren't using supplements, they probably aren't getting the most out of their workouts. And that's their choice. However, I don't believe that makes their way superior to mine, or that I should be looked down upon for supplementing my diet when I could have chosen not to.

The same argument can be applied to steroids, although they are illegal. Athletes are grown men and can make their own, well-informed decisions for themselves. Most of them probably choose to take steroids. Who really cares? They still have to train just as hard as anybody else.

OVCChairman, I respect that you've accomplished all you have without cheating. But why do you force others to live by your own personal morality? You've made choices and they've made choices. Why can't both sides just accept the consequences of their own actions?

Redskins:VictoryorDeath, I respect your beliefs. However, I think steroids are illegal in sports because they are deemed harmful to the athletes body. If we encourage (or don't discourage) athletes to research what they are doing to minimize or eliminate side effects, then how are steroids that much different from any other supplement available to athletes?

Ok, great. Next time the other job in whatever job you do is promoted because he/she slept with the boss, or gave the "customer" free goods, or lied, etc. - please don't complain - because, hey, he/she is just "surviving". It's B.S. and you ought to know it.

Those two situations are not even remotely comparable.

In one situation, you are doing what is not a norm. In another, you are merely putting yourself on a level playing field.

So what? He should have used so he could win the fight? Is that what we've been reduced to as a society? :doh:

It is so easy for you to judge another person, isn't it? It is entirely another story if your personal wealth and welfare of your children, and others who depend on you are at stake.

You do understand that your argument basically can be simplified down to: "Everyone's Doing It!", right? Children and fools use that kind of logic.

Not quite. I have another argument -- that these rules regarding steroid are artificially imposed by the government. In our society, there are rules and regulations that make sense. It conforms to our basic sense or right and wrong.

But the laws/rules on steroids are, if you think about them carefully, stupid. No thinking person would agree to legislating such laws.

The very fact that you say they should find out a way not to get caught is telling - it's against the rules for a reason.

The reason why "it is against the rules" for most athletes is that the rules were created unreasonably in the first place.

The rules were created for political popularity. The fact that most athletes actually do NOT follow the rules show you that the rules were ill-legislated.

If it wasn't cheating - it wouldn't be against the rules.

This is where you are wrong -- it is not cheating. How can it be cheating, when everyone else is doing the same thing? Just because there are bad rules that were legislated?

This is not the same situation as someone cheating on an exam.

Feats of strength and endurance should be what games are made of - not how good can I cheat and how can I get away with it.

As I said above, this has nothing to do with cheating.

Would you teach your kids this? Can you honestly say, "Son/Daughter I think you should cheat. In fact you have to cheat."

I am not going to tell my daughter/son, if I have one, to sleep her/his way to the top. On the contrary. I will teach her/him not to cheat.

But I will also teach him/her not to blindly follow any "rules" that are imposed, to think for himself/herself, understand the consequences and risks associated with a decision, and take the full responsibility for his/her actions.

and it's thinking like this, that makes it so "everyone has to do it to make it even"

Partly you are right. But you are also wrong. The real reason that pro-athletes do steroids is because competition is fierce, and one is putting everything on the line to win. The athletes are willing to take the chance.

If this kind of thinking was out the door... and NOBODY did drugs... It's an even field and a legal one at that.

You are underestimating the drive behind competition. As long as human beings are competitive (e.g., willing to win), drugs (or any other performance enhancing procedure -- e.g., genetic tampering) will be involved.

Essentially that is like lying on your resume in order to get an advantage trying to get a job. It's against the law, and it's not fair, yet it is done.

This is not the same thing.

I personally have worked my way to where i am... never lied to any employer, followed the rules and let my performance do the talking. If i had done it any other way i wouldnt be able to really feel like i've accomplished anything.

Good for you.

But here is one thing. One cannot blindly follow all rules that are imposed. Some rules are stupid. Of course, in deciding whether to follow such stupid rules, one has to decide whether breaking them would be worth the risk.

In pro sports, the verdict is already in.

Do you work out?

If so, how would you feel about someone claiming that you are cutting corners or not working hard? How would you feel if they called you a cheater and wanted to take away all that you've accomplished?

Personally, I work out and did a lot of research on the supplements that would be most beneficial to achieving my goals. I believe that I work just as hard as anyone else out there. If they aren't using supplements, they probably aren't getting the most out of their workouts. And that's their choice. However, I don't believe that makes their way superior to mine, or that I should be looked down upon for supplementing my diet when I could have chosen not to.

The same argument can be applied to steroids, although they are illegal. Athletes are grown men and can make their own, well-informed decisions for themselves. Most of them probably choose to take steroids. Who really cares? They still have to train just as hard as anybody else.

OVCChairman, I respect that you've accomplished all you have without cheating. But why do you force others to live by your own personal morality? You've made choices and they've made choices. Why can't both sides just accept the consequences of their own actions?

Redskins:VictoryorDeath, I respect your beliefs. However, I think steroids are illegal in sports because they are deemed harmful to the athletes body. If we encourage (or don't discourage) athletes to research what they are doing to minimize or eliminate side effects, then how are steroids that much different from any other supplement available to athletes?

First off, thanks for being civil. That's a lot more than I can say for a lot of posters. :cheers:

The fact that steroids are harmful is only part of the equation. The other part is that they are cheating - sports and games should be about hard work, aspiration, effort, training, challenge. I think you cheapen the game when you use sterioids and the like. And sterioids are different from supplements - sterioids artifically increase muscle mass (with continued training of course) where as supplements support secondary effects in regards to exercise. Of course I encourage research. In all things. But just because I research something doesn't mean I use or agree, and neither should an athlete.

Now, if you don't mind (although I won't know till after I post, lol) I want to answer your question to OVC. I think you're using a specious argument. I don't think he or I see it as forcing our morality on anyone else - it's a matter of a level playing field. Why should those who cheat get an advantage. Like his example earlier in the thread, why should the guy who robbed a bank (which is a lot easier than working for it) get to reap that reward without consquence? It's cheating the system - we should play, and live, and that equal footing - based on how hard we work - not the cheapest way around it. There are just some things we don't accept as a society - and you could say that is "forcing" our morality on others - but it isn't. If we want to live together as a society/culture/country there are just some things you think should be in order to live in it. You can try and change it, but you do have to accept it.

Look at it this way: (and I'll grant this example might be extreme) there are some countries where women can't drive, they can't vote, they can't speak, they can't even go out in public without being covered head to toe. It's their culture (and religion) - but I have no problem saying it's wrong. Maybe it's pushing my morality - but there are some cases where it's right.

You do realize there is a vast difference between a protein supplement and illegal steroids, right? Because you seem like you know the difference, but then you go and make the bolded statement.

Do you work out?

I dont force others to live by my morality, i'm just voicing the way that i feel.

As far as the protein supplements, that's different. Protein is naturally introduced into the body. It is not an illegal chemical (steroids). Protein can be acheived through natural resources (eating certain foods) and it's a "supplement." It works hand in hand with other nutrients that the body naturally produces.

Steroids are a chemical, and a foreign substance that is introduced into the body... not something that you can achieve naturally.

If a person chooses to potentially harm their own body, then that is their own decision and they will face whatever consequences may come along with it. If you take protein supplements, vitamins, whatever, there is not consequence there.

First off, thanks for being civil. That's a lot more than I can say for a lot of posters. :cheers:

The fact that steroids are harmful is only part of the equation. The other part is that they are cheating - sports and games should be about hard work, aspiration, effort, training, challenge. I think you cheapen the game when you use sterioids and the like. And sterioids are different from supplements - sterioids artifically increase muscle mass (with continued training of course) where as supplements support secondary effects in regards to exercise. Of course I encourage research. In all things. But just because I research something doesn't mean I use or agree, and neither should an athlete.

Now, if you don't mind (although I won't know till after I post, lol) I want to answer your question to OVC. I think you're using a specious argument. I don't think he or I see it as forcing our morality on anyone else - it's a matter of a level playing field. Why should those who cheat get an advantage. Like his example earlier in the thread, why should the guy who robbed a bank (which is a lot easier than working for it) get to reap that reward without consquence? It's cheating the system - we should play, and live, and that equal footing - based on how hard we work - not the cheapest way around it. There are just some things we don't accept as a society - and you could say that is "forcing" our morality on others - but it isn't. If we want to live together as a society/culture/country there are just some things you think should be in order to live in it. You can try and change it, but you do have to accept it.

Look at it this way: (and I'll grant this example might be extreme) there are some countries where women can't drive, they can't vote, they can't speak, they can't even go out in public without being covered head to toe. It's their culture (and religion) - but I have no problem saying it's wrong. Maybe it's pushing my morality - but there are some cases where it's right.

When you take steroids, you still have to work hard. They are a supplement to your hard work, not a replacement. Any athlete who takes steroids and doesn't work hard will be outdone by another guy down the line who takes steroids and works his ass off. If you define artificial as something that you would not ordinarily be able to do on your own, then protein and creatine supplements also artificially allow you to increase your muscle mass. The only difference is that they are naturally occuring (although it would be very hard [in the case of protein] and next to impossible [in the case of creatine] to achieve the required dosages without supplementing) and that they haven't been shown to cause long-term health problems.

Should protein and creatine supplements be considered cheating? The major difference between these and steroids is that steroids are illegal. But if steroids were not illegal, how would you classify them as cheating while classifying other supplements as not cheating?

I don't think steroids introduce an unlevel playing field, therefore they are not cheating. Steroids offer an advantage over the competition, just like personal trainers, personal nutritionists, advanced equipment, experienced coaching staff, etc. Why don't we ban these things as well? I believe the primary reason we don't ban them is because if they were banned people could still use them to obtain an advantage over the competition. A secondary reason is because these are all viewed as positive things, while steroids are frowned upon (even though in essence they are no different - they are things athletes can purchase and use in order to improve their game or gain an advantage over the competition).

Now the X factor is that steroids have been shown to cause long-term health issues. First of all, nutrition scientists can be hired by the player to minimize these side effects, and as adults players can make their own decisions and suffer the consequences of those decisions. Second, and I never see this get brought up...the very decision to become a pro football player subjects you to long term health issues, issues that most would consider much more severe than the side effects of steroids. Why are we so concerned with their decision to take steroids, but we turn a blind eye when they choose to become a professional runningback (subject to tens of thousands of high impact collisions over a very short period of time)?

Thanks for your time.

Archived