Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Food for thought: Free Agency/Draft (John Clayton article attached)

ballin86

Free agency is always a gamble, but the class of 2008 might make bookmakers in Las Vegas nervous.

Of the first 78 players to move to different teams, 48 played less than 50 percent of the downs last season for their previous squads. Over the past three decades, the NFL has developed into a league of role players and situational substitutions. So those figures aren't unusual. Still, it's a gamble to spend millions of dollars for players who aren't on the field half the time. Some teams are taking a chance that backups can convert to starters. Others are gambling that players can switch positions and live up to their massive contracts. The stakes are high, but teams have to take gambles to improve. Here are 10 of the biggest and most interesting gambles less than two weeks into the hottest free-agency period in NFL history.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3289406&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

Here is something to think about (click the link to read the rest of the article)

48 of the 78 players to change teams played less than 50% of downs for their team last year, knowing this why would you want to be a big player in free agency this season, it definitely seems like a better idea to lay low and resign our own players and look to the draft or a marquee trade to revamp our team

I think we have taken enough gambles on free agents in the past and its best to avoid signing any old veteran players, which is why I don't think we will be big players in ocho cinco due to his age of 30, but why I think we will attempt to reel in Boldin who is 3 years younger at age 27.

I agree that we could use some extra lineman on both the offensive and defensive line but that is our only main concern, and possibly another safety (I don't mind pulling the trigger on Tom Zbikowski in the 3rd or 4th round as a guy that can come in and help out landry and reed, especially in blitz packages, as well on the special teams side of the ball) and using our other picks on bringing in young linemen we can develop on our own.

I would like to see us sign a 3rd string QB instead of wasting a late round draft pick on one (like we did with Palmer). I like Craig Nall, Ryan Fitzpatrick, or Quinn Gray (remember these guys aren't going to get any playing time, or minimal time).

And obviously bringing in Boldin for betts and a first round pick would be ideal for us, and we could hopefully get our hands on chris brown, derrick ward, cecil sapp, or musa smith to pair along with rock as backup RB

Trade seems reasonable enough to me, but I doubt the Cards would want two backs the exact same style, unless the intend on Betts being a true #2 back.

ah maybe...edge hasnt been toooo productive though and betts is a lot cheaper

plus all the rumors flying around have betts going to zona if we get boldin

Interesting article, however we are not trading for anquan. The cards are not going to give him up, and I dont think we are as eager to get rid of betts as you are. Betts ran for 1000 yards in 8 games two years ago when our line was healthy. Not to mention his contract is vary cap friendly. We will not trade our early picks this year, that much has been said... over and over...

We will not trade our early picks this year, that much has been said... over and over...

That is not true, Vinny has said he would be willing to trade an early pick if it meant getting a young talent better than anyone available in the draft.

Also....remember rosenhaus is boldin's agent, boldin is going to want more money with the deal fitz just got, and you really think we have been freeing up all this cap room to sit on our ***** and do nothing?

No why don't we just draft limas sweed or james hardy we always covet someone elses player remember Fitz and Boldin were both drafted by the cards as well as Roy williams if the Cards and Lions can draft top WR why can't the skins. Oh maybe cause were too damn impatient.

This is quickly becoming another Boldin thread.

It's been duly noted that this year's free agency crop is very weak. It's good that we haven't been big players (players at all, really) so far.

That leaves two other ways to improve the team, draft or trade. In general I'm against trades. They are short-sighted and reek of instant gratification. Instead of developing talent, we'll pay a premium in picks AND dollars to bring a guy from another organization.

If we were one player away, a trade makes sense. But we don't know what this team will look like on the field next year. (Pats and Moss last year)

The teams that stay on top DRAFT well, they don't trade to stay ahead.

The draft helps you cultivate young and cheap talent. And on the few gems you find, your team improves a lot for a small price.

actually, we dont ever have the top 3 pick, so we cant grab the best WR in the draft that would be a sure fire stud.

But we have a connection(reskins) with the card sso i think if anyone gets boldin we will. Good thing we have Grimm and a few other old redskins over there.

No why don't we just draft limas sweed or james hardy we always covet someone elses player remember Fitz and Boldin were both drafted by the cards as well as Roy williams if the Cards and Lions can draft top WR why can't the skins. Oh maybe cause were too damn impatient.

the lions cant draft top WRs....

mike williams/charles rodgers (both first round picks)....

boldin is much more talented than hardy and sweed are, why are we going to develop 24 year olds when they might not be half as good as boldin

stupid

actually, we dont ever have the top 3 pick, so we cant grab the best WR in the draft that would be a sure fire stud.

But we have a connection(reskins) with the card sso i think if anyone gets boldin we will. Good thing we have Grimm and a few other old redskins over there.

agreed, none of the WRs you guys have thrown out are even CLOSE to being top teir guys, the draft is very weak this year

hardy and sweed would be late 2nd/early 3rd round picks if you were to put them in the 05 draft, for example. None of these guys have much buzz and there are a lot of questions about them, I just don't know why anyone would want them if you could have Boldin a proven pro bowl WR who would be a perfect compliment to moss....

if that trade for some reason happens, I would like us to draft Ryan Torain from ASU in the 4th or 5th round. I believe we have a 4th now as part of the compensation picks we got.

This guy was killer for the Sun Devils until a late season toe injury sidelined him for the season prior to the Cal game.

I completely agree with the Torain idea if Betts goes in the trade. He is an animal that could be developed into a top tier running back if he trains under the all around best running back in the league for a few years.

if that trade for some reason happens, I would like us to draft Ryan Torain from ASU in the 4th or 5th round. I believe we have a 4th now as part of the compensation picks we got.

This guy was killer for the Sun Devils until a late season toe injury sidelined him for the season prior to the Cal game.

we havent received comensation picks yet... and it's speculation that we will get a 3rd, and 2- 7th rounders. Not a 4th. We still wont have a 4th(even though the comp. 3rd we will get basically gives us first pick at the 4th round talent, because it's given after the last team has drafted in the 3rd round)

I would be happy if we didnt draft outside the trenches.. I want us to draft strictly O-line, and D-line..and if we dont trade or get DB's in the FA, we need to draft a couple DB's as well.

Why? Here's why.

2. Taylor Jacobs, WR, Florida

3. Cliff Russell, WR, Utah

1. Rod Gardner, WR, Clemson

5. Darnerien McCants, WR, Delaware St.

7. Ethan Howell, WR, Oklahoma St.

7. Tim Alexander, WR, Oregon St.

6. Pat Palmer, WR, Northwestern St.

4. Albert Connell, WR, Texas A&M

7. Deandre Maxwell, WR, San Diego St.

1. Michael Westbrook, WR, Colorado

3. Tydus Winans, WR, Fresno St.

1. Desmond Howard, WR, Michigan

11. Terry Smith, WR, Penn St.

7. Keith Cash, WR, Texas

12. Keenan McCardell, WR, UNLV

Why? Here's why.

7. Keith Cash, WR, Texas

umm yeah, that is pretty self-explanitory. Im happy with how we get WR's in FA. (theres a bigger talent pool in WR)

I think we should stick to drafting the best player available in the 1st, and then we should draft what we know we can draft best. WR hasnt been one of those positions for us.

Why? Here's why.

7. Keith Cash, WR, Texas

thank you, at least somebody else around here is intellegient enough to realize that we suck at drafting WRs and that it is easier to trade/pick up a WR that is proven then to HOPE that one pays off, and if they don't pay off then all of you ESers will go off and say we made a horrible selection even if you rave over it at first

and the last trade we made for a WR was a complete and utter joke.

Here's the point people:

Whether we draft a WR, sign a DJ Hackett or trade for a Johnson or Boldin;

Let's hope that the Fo doesn't blow a huge contract and give up waayyy too many picks/players to get 1 player that may or may not be a huge impact player here.

Here's the point people:

Let's hope that the Fo doesn't blow a huge contract and give up waayyy too many picks/players to get 1 player that may or may not be a huge impact player here.

WOW.......

you are talking about trading for b lloyd....ummm...

rod gardner, michael westbrook, cliff russell, taylor jacobs....all of those combined are way worse than one bad mistake in trading for b lloyd....

also boldin isnt even comparable to b lloyd, lloyd was never a pro bowler and was never what we were looking for in a WR, boldin is everything all of you have been complaining about needing for the past 3 seasons...

oh ya, the WR trade we made before that didn't work out too bad (coles for moss)

That leaves two other ways to improve the team, draft or trade. In general I'm against trades. They are short-sighted and reek of instant gratification. Instead of developing talent, we'll pay a premium in picks AND dollars to bring a guy from another organization.

While you pay a premium, you get value from that by getting a player that you have a good idea if he can play in the NFL or not. You are more than likely getting a guy who is developed and doesn't need a learning curve to get up to speed.

Trades aren't necessarily short-term moves either. Certainly the Portis-Bailey trade wasn't a short-sighted trade. Both are players who can play for their teams for a very long time.

Jason

While you pay a premium, you get value from that by getting a player that you have a good idea if he can play in the NFL or not. You are more than likely getting a guy who is developed and doesn't need a learning curve to get up to speed.

Trades aren't necessarily short-term moves either. Certainly the Portis-Bailey trade wasn't a short-sighted trade. Both are players who can play for their teams for a very long time.

Jason

I agree.. someone will always find something bad about what we have done, whether its draft bad, or make bad trades.

News Flash people, We aren't the only team who makes trades or makes bad picks on draft day. It's the NFL.. It happens

Every thread is becoming a WR/Boldin thread now! :laugh:

Here's the point people:

completely correct. If we make a move, please don't let it be a collosal overpayment.

I actually think Zorn is going to free up a roster spot in 2008 by carrying two QB's.

Clearly that will be filled with a WR, but that's another discussion;).

So, with that said there is no reason to draft a QB this season. Even for the practice squad. If all hell breaks loose and god forbid JC and TC are both down, then the season is done regardless of who the 3rd string practice QB is:laugh:.

Just think, with Brunell on the roster last season it kept a potential bubble player like Marcus Mason or Mike Espy from making the team. Or how about another line-man.

Archived