Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate

Touchdown Redskins

Do they actually work?

I lift and play basketball a lot, and recently I've been getting elbow tendonitis. Specifically, it seems to involve both the biceps and triceps tendons of my left arm, so that I can't flex or extend my arm without pain. It hurts especially during lifting. I just bought a bottle of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate, and I just wanted to hear people's esperiences with tendonitis and these two compounds. Did the pain go away? Did it lessen? Do they work?

I had a lot of pain in my knees, years ago. (I've had sore knees ever since running cross country, competitatively, in Jr High and High School, back when running shoes weren't cushioned, and nobody knew that running on concrete causes impact injuries.)

My pain was bad enough, and I was looking at my Mom, who's pretty much crippled with knee arthritis that she won't have replaced, that I was wondering if maybe I should consider having mine replaced, while I'm still "young".

Two weeks of Osteo Bi-Flex completely eliminated the pain. I occasionally take one now, like every week or two when I remember, but I haven't had a problem since, and it's been years.

I'm really not a believer in the "dietary supplement" industry. (I've mentally labeled it as the "snake oil" industry.)

But that one product really worked in my case.

I had a lot of pain in my knees, years ago. (I've had sore knees ever since running cross country, competitatively, in Jr High and High School, back when running shoes weren't cushioned, and nobody knew that running on concrete causes impact injuries.)

My pain was bad enough, and I was looking at my Mom, who's pretty much crippled with knee arthritis that she won't have replaced, that I was wondering if maybe I should consider having mine replaced, while I'm still "young".

Two weeks of Osteo Bi-Flex completely eliminated the pain. I occasionally take one now, like every week or two when I remember, but I haven't had a problem since, and it's been years.

I'm really not a believer in the "dietary supplement" industry. (I've mentally labeled it as the "snake oil" industry.)

But that one product really worked in my case.

I'm guessing Osteo Bi-Flex is a mixture of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate? If you don't mind me asking, do you remember how many mgs per day you took?

I use Bluebonnet's GSX formula...my body is a train wreck from abuse/injuries and it works very well.

http://houseofnutrition.com/743715011120.html

Highly advanced glucosamine sulfate complex dietary supplement. Formulated with chondroitin sulfate A, shark cartilage, sea cucumber, the amino acid l-proline plus high potency vitamin C, zinc and pineapple bromelain. Available in easy-to-swallow vegetable capsules for maximum assimilation and absorption.

Osteo Bi-Flex "Triple Strength":

Cluco : 1500 mg

Choidroit: 1200 mg

Boron (?): 3 mg

I took two a day, for two weeks. Supposedly, what it does for arthritis is it makes (or causes your body to make) cartilage.

(I'd bet WebMD would have info on it.)

Hmmm, well I'm going to assume that it has a higher potency for the arthritis...the formulation I got has 1000 mg of glucosamine, and 500 mg of chondroitin sulfate. I'm thinking it has some vit. C in there as well (I don't have the label in front of me).

Thanks for the info guys! I think I'll start taking it whenever the tendonitis flares up. From what you guys have said and what I've read on the internet, it should heal up quite quickly.

If anyone else has any anecdotal evidence, or even some peer-reviewed articles (I'm looking at you Kingbrice), the information would be much appreciated.

I have arthritic knees and started taking it about 2 years ago. For some reason I quit taking it about a year ago and about a month later noticed that my knees were killing me again. Started taking it again about 3 months ago and my knees have gone back to "greatly improved." I guess it was one of those things that crept up on me and I didn't realize how well it worked until I quit taking it. I take glucosamine 1500 and chondroitin 1200mg a day. I started on Osteo Bi-Flex, but now I just buy whatever brand is on sale.

Archived