Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Giants sign Sammy Knight per ESPNews

Inquisitor

Perfect stop gap imo. The guy is a SS i believe, so i expect a some serious competition for the SS spot. I expect michael johnson and a draft choice will end up competing for the FS spot vacated by gibril. So long as the pass rush stays the same I see no problem with this signing. Now the just need to draft a FS to develop in the draft, I am hoping for kenny phillips, decoud, or smith in one of the first 3 rounds.

']He is a stop gap until the Giants have a replacement in place. No big deal if they have to cut him after the first year. Not much of a signing bonus. 3 year' date=' $5 million with $1 million guaranteed.[/quote']

Exactly, at a fraction of Wilson's price they bring in a durable vet that will give us similiar productivity. With Michael Johnson on board, they may already have his future replacement, and let's not forget the draft. Either way we've added quality depth today.

Knights best days are waay behind him.. This smells like desperation until a younger player can step up.

His best days may be behind him but he is a veteran who is usually where he is supposed to be. If you saw the games against the Cowboys, Wilson was caught out of position several times and TO made big plays. And if it wasn't for his case of the drops, would have had a couple more on Wilson.

Knight is a good pickup to replace Wilson for a year or two while the Giants find a long term replacement. And at less than $3mil per year, it is much better than the $6 mil plus per year the Raiders gave Wilson.

Reese knows what he is doing.

Wilson's replacement?

I am not so sure thats what this is. I believe this is just pure competition. 1 million guaranteed over 3 years and he gets to play for his old secondary coach (guinta). Knight is a SS, butler is a SS, johnson played both, and wilson was the FS. I would not be surprised if knight is the giants third safety or starts at SS this season. He may play FS i don't know but there is no guarantee he was signed to start at either safety spot.

Edit:

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/bob_blog/2008/03/knight_not_guaranteed_a_starte.html

Wilson's replacement?

I am not so sure thats what this is. I believe this is just pure competition. 1 million guaranteed over 3 years and he gets to play for his old secondary coach (guinta). Knight is a SS, butler is a SS, johnson played both, and wilson was the FS. I would not be surprised if knight is the giants third safety or starts at SS this season. He may play FS i don't know but there is no guarantee he was signed to start at either safety spot.

Edit:

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/bob_blog/2008/03/knight_not_guaranteed_a_starte.html

If nothing changes, and we stay with what we have at safety. I could se both Butler and Knight starting, and Johnson coming in on obvious passing downs for Knight. Let's not forget Spags has a man-crush on Butler.

He's the same kind of average player NY had in Wilson, yet, he's older (doesn't say much for Wilson and Oakland's overpaying to get him). As long as they have that pass rush though it don't really matter who they plug in at safety. Knight is still a decent player so good move for NY.

Archived