Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Confidence in Zorn and Front Office Throughout FA

CRobi21

With all the talk about this free agent and that free agent, draft possibilities and trade possibilities, many of us have been torn. "I wanted us to stay away from FA, but I didn't want us to be completely silent. We need this guy." Or, "I like this approach, I'm glad our name isn't in the papers as much."

Well I've been on both sides of the battle. One day I want us to pick up the big name FA, then I read a certain draft senario, and I'm think the hell with that guy, lets go through the draft. At one point I was ready to pull my hair out. Then I remembered who our coach is again:

http://www.redskins.com/news/multimedia.jsp?id=34656

I mean this guy sounds like a genious when he talks about his plans here in Washington. I really do think he got a great plan. He seems confident, and ready to go to work. If you knew nothing about football, I don't think you'd ever think he wasn't a head coach before.

As for Vinny C, and "The" Dan, I've never really had harsh words towards them. But they've finally seemed to grasp the idea of what we need to do to win games.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=34660

It looks like we'll have another quiet offseason, much like last year. Where the only "big" names we brought in were London Fletcher and Smoot. Both were questionable moves at the time. With London up there in age, and Smoot having down years in Minny, both performed VERY well in '07.

So basically, I am no longer worried about the FA. Sure I'll have my hopes of picking up a big name, but whatever Zorn and company decide to do will be alright by me, and will be the best thing for this team.

AP080222018550zorn1.jpg

Lets let the Wizard work his magic!

Most of the players with value are not to be found in free agency, but rather in trades. There has been a RASH of trades since the start of free agency that dwarfs anything I remember in prior years.

The last thing the Redskins can afford to do though is to give up draft choices. We don't have any extra picks as the Eagles and some other clubs do.

The free agent class itself is underwhelming.

The Raiders were a horrible team in 2007 and they think signing a solid but unspectacular safety to a $40M deal is going to help them climb in the AFC West? :)

The best way I can describe the FO right now is the "No Nonsense FO". They are observing and being objective. The cap has a good deal to do with that but Dan, IMO, could have been making much more cap room to go after a big name.

I think Vinny, Zorn, and Scott Campbell are burning the midnight oil and making sound decisions.

With all the talk about this free agent and that free agent, draft possibilities and trade possibilities, many of us have been torn. "I wanted us to stay away from FA, but I didn't want us to be completely silent. We need this guy." Or, "I like this approach, I'm glad our name isn't in the papers as much."

Well I've been on both sides of the battle. One day I want us to pick up the big name FA, then I read a certain draft senario, and I'm think the hell with that guy, lets go through the draft. At one point I was ready to pull my hair out. Then I remembered who our coach is again:

http://www.redskins.com/news/multimedia.jsp?id=34656

I mean this guy sounds like a genious when he talks about his plans here in Washington. I really do think he got a great plan. He seems confident, and ready to go to work. If you knew nothing about football, I don't think you'd ever think he wasn't a head coach before.

As for Vinny C, and "The" Dan, I've never really had harsh words towards them. But they've finally seemed to grasp the idea of what we need to do to win games.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=34660

It looks like we'll have another quiet offseason, much like last year. Where the only "big" names we brought in were London Fletcher and Smoot. Both were questionable moves at the time. With London up there in age, and Smoot having down years in Minny, both performed VERY well in '07.

So basically, I am no longer worried about the FA. Sure I'll have my hopes of picking up a big name, but whatever Zorn and company decide to do will be alright by me, and will be the best thing for this team.

AP080222018550zorn1.jpg

Lets let the Wizard work his magic!

I'm with ya man.

Don't get me wrong, I have my own ideas on what should happen, but I am perfectly comfortable in saying that I am nowhere near qualified to make these decisions so....

LET' GO Z-MAN LET'S GO :applause: :applause: :wavetowel

Vinny mentioned preferring to sign free agent players that the coaches had dealt with before, if possible...both Fletcher and Smoot fall into that category, and both worked out beautifully. The year before, we had Archuletta, Duckett and Lloyd, none of which fell into that category...and all of which turned out to be insane busts.

Amen to that :cheers:...

The main thing is that I believe the FO's hands were tied this year by the cap. We did not see "cap hell," but we were above enough that we had to restructure Jansen who we may otherwise have not since he could only have one year left in D.C. (OPINION)

We have $ to make moves, but not many worthwhile names are out there. (OPINION)

I do think however, that if they believe this team is in good shape as is, than I would consider a big time WR, because that could help this team out in a big way. Look at Moss in NE and I honestly think he was the single biggest reason that they won 18 straight. (OPINION)

I'm comfortable with what the team is doing right now, but we won't know if anything done so far will help bring success or failure to this team until midway through the season. All we can do right now is hope the right decisions are being made whether we agree with them or not.

it's not only about 2008 but what this team is setting itself up to do once Campbell fully establishes himself as the leader on the field :)

while he learns the position and grows it is important the club drafts the players that are going to complement him in 2008 but also in future years.

the Redskins have to get younger at critical spots on both sides of the ball, but it can be done in a way that the team can remain competitive during the transition.

the key is keeping draft choices and making smart decisions on when NOT to sign players to new contracts, ie knowing when to let them walk a la Derrick Dockery.

Archived