Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we go over the cap?

SkinsAllDay34

do not pass go do not collect 200 dollars

every contract needs to be nfl approved,if the contract would put the team

over the cap it's voided out.

Just ask Denver. They went over the cap in 96 and 98 and got busted. Lost a 3rd round pick in the 02 draft.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28969-2004Sep17.html

It took a while, but they got caught.

answering my own question

Question 1.12

What happens if a player is traded or retires?

Answer: We already know that if a player is waived on or before June 1, the remaining signing bonus that has not been included in salary “accelerates” and is included in that year’s team salary. Acceleration also occurs when a player is traded or waived and picked up by another team. The new team is not responsible for any of the original signing bonus. The team that waived or traded the player is responsible for the accelerated signing bonus (in the same manner as described above).

In most cases, if a player retires, the remaining signing bonus that has not been included in salary “accelerates” and is included in that year’s team salary. Thus, the team will take an immediate salary cap hit of the remaining signing bonus.

from

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/faq.asp

can someone quickly remind me or point me to info about trades and the cap. How does a traded player count on the cap - does it count as though the original team released him, and then he counts also on the new teams cap or what?

In transitions, if a player retires, is traded, or is cut before June 1st, all remaining bonus is applied to the salary cap for the current season. If the payroll change occurs after June 1st, the current cap is unchanged, and the next year's cap must absorb the entire remaining bonus.

From Wikipedia.

I think only the guaranteed money counts but the salary part of it probably transfers. So if skins would have traded Lloyd the skins would still have the cap hit for the remainder of his 10 mil guarantee, the new team would just have his salary, which of course they could renegotiate if they wanted to.

Archived