Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2005: The Jason Campbell Trade Revisited

Veretax

I was pondering our options in the draft this year, and I couldn't help but think back to 2005. That year we traded our 2005 Third Rounder (76th Overall), and our 1st and 4th from 2006 (both 22nd and 118th Overall in 2006). Now I know some may argue whether JC was worth this trade or not, or whether he is our best option at Quarterback, I'm not starting this thread to debate that. My questions are twofold.

First, did we trade up because of JC, or was there another player we were also targetting that was not there? (My memory isn't as good on this.)

The second question is this. Do you forsee the possibility of a similar move this year? This raises some interesting questions. Assuming that the Redskins Remain at #21, what player that could be left in the draft (somewhere lower in the 1st, perhaps at #30 with the Green Bay Packers, or the Chargers at #27) that would be worth making this move? I'm not sure if there is any, but the thought occured to me that maybe, a move like this could be made in the following situation. Say Dan Snyder and Jim Zorn decide to take a Dback with #21 as they didn't feel a certain Defensive End or Defensive Tackle was worth that pick, could they maybe look at it and say they want this guy, but he won't be there at #53? Is there any player that might drop a bit that might be worth taking? And what would it take to do this trade?

So let's say its the Packers we deal with their pick is worth 620 on the chart.

So you figure if we move up its because we don't feel there's a great player we want at 51. I gotta figure that Green bay would want our third in this deal too (not sure I'd be happy about that), so I'd see this:

Redskins would Get:

Packers 30th Pick (620 pts)

Packers Get:

Redskins 2nd Round (#53 Overall and 370 points a net difference of 250 points)

Redskins 3rd Round (#85 Overall and 165 Points a net difference left of 85 points)

A 2009 Pick (Possibly 2nd or third) (definitely not happy about that idea.)

Would that be a fair trade? Secondly, assuming such a trade is made who do you think would be the player(s) being targeted?

Trading further up likely would require something on the order of giving up next years 1st, which I might not be happy about either, but it would likely mean fewer picks over all. (not sure how exactly you'd value next years picks in a trade into scenario.)

Anyhow what do you guys think, I know giving up draft picks has hurt our depth of late, I'm in no way saying we have or should do this, but it's a scenario that for some reason I could see as a possibility. For starters, trading up higher in the 2nd Might be difficult, but trading into the 1st might not be as difficult at least as far as moving goes (it'll be more difficult in that you have to give up more obviously. Anyhow I'd love to hear what you guys think.

First, did we trade up because of JC, or was there another player we were also targetting that was not there? (My memory isn't as good on this.)[/Quote]

I'm thinking the trade was specifically for Jason. Coach Gibbs had already met with him and his family before the draft and was very impressed with their character. Plus Jason peaked his college game at exactly the right time.

technically we didn't trade up to get Campbell. We traded our 1st in '06 for Denver's in '05 (along with a couple other picks). In my opinion it was well worth it already, but the Campbell haters will disagree with me. At worst, you could call it "undecided"

As far as this year is concerned............... Wow, it's SOOO early. Move Up? Move down? Stand pat? Gotta wait until the combine and what not. try and get some of the smoke to settle. Regardless of what happens, I wouldn't anticipate any deals until we are actually on the clock.

We should trade down for #21 and not force our selves to gain another 1st round choice

I'd love to see a trade down scenario, question is who do you trade with. Well what if one of these good Corners drops to us, someone may come calling. How about Trading Down with Green Bay:

Redskins to Green Bay Trade Scenario:

An Example:

Green Bay

Get's Redskins 21st Pick 800 pts

Redskins

Gets Green Bay's

1st (30th overall) worth 620 points (net Difference 180 pts)

3rd (94th Overall) worth 124 points (net difference 56 pts)

2009's 4th Round or a Player (not sure who?) (Maybe a WR or a DT?)

I'd love a scenario like this. I wonder if there are any teams high in the 2nd that would be interested in trading up to 21st too :/

In the end though, whether its stay pat and pick at #21, Trade down, or trade up later in the 1st, the question becomes What player or players would have to be there. I'm not sure there is enough information yet on players to make that judgement. Maybe after the COmbine?

Trading down is easier at 21 because the cost to another team is not as high. I'd be willing to do it depending who is still on the board. If all the top DEs are gone and another team covets a particular CB it would be worthwhile to trade down in the first. We could use an extra 3rd or 4th round pick.

Well with the picks we traded the teams got..

CB Karl Paymah

LB Manny Lawson

WR Brandon Marshall

If Jason turns into the QB we think he can be, it seems well worth the deal.

Marshall has developed into a wonderful player, but I'm assuming Gibbs would have taken him off our draft board due to "character issues."

i would not give up our 2nd and 3rd round picks for another 1st rounder. there is still good talent available in those rounds. just because someone is classified as a "first rounder" doesn't mean that they will be great on the next level. many get overlooked in the draft as well, based on their performance in the combine or for other reasons.

i would not give up our 2nd and 3rd round picks for another 1st rounder. there is still good talent available in those rounds. just because someone is classified as a "first rounder" doesn't mean that they will be great on the next level. many get overlooked in the draft as well, based on their performance in the combine or for other reasons.

The point is given where they pick in the 2nd, you consider moving up even into the 1st if there's a player you want, and believe he will be gone when you pick in the 2nd, that's the premise of the post. I'm not saying its a good or bad idea, it was just something that I was pondering this morning and thought I'd share. As I've always said, I'm fine picking with what we have or trading down.

Archived