Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Capers Turns Down Cowboys

jimster

Report: Capers turns down defensive position with Cowboys

ESPN.com news services

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3242250&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Updated: February 12, 2008, 11:11 AM ET

Dom Capers has declined an offer from the Dallas Cowboys to become the team's defensive coordinator or a team defensive consultant, the Dallas Morning News reported Tuesday.

Capers, the former head coach of the Carolina Panthers and Houston Texans, spent the past two seasons as defensive coordinator and assistant head coach of the Miami Dolphins.

Had Capers agreed to join Wade Phillips' staff, he would've been reunited with several assistant coaches.

Capers had worked with Cowboys offensive cordinator Jason Garrett in 2006, when Garrett was the Dolphins' quarterback coach. And three other Cowboys assistants -- defensive coordinator Brian Stewart, new defensive line coach Todd Grantham and new linebackers coach Reggie Herring -- were on Capers' staff in Houston.

"I have a lot of respect for Jason, as I do for Wade," Capers said, according to the newspaper. "They're two good coaches, and they will do well together. This was a good opportunity, but I decided not to do anything."

']I wouldn't want to go to a team who got knocked out of the playoffs in the first round at home as the number one seed. :D

Sorry' date=' had to do it. :D

Man, I can't even sling an insult without feeling bad for it. :doh:[/quote']

Oh, and when the jab comes from you, I'll gladly accept it. :)

Settle for? We were going to create a position as consultant for him.

So, they were just giving him a job out of charity?

Seems to me the Cowboys feel like they need more expertise on that side of the ball. Which indicates the current braintrust isn't getting it done. :2cents:

I think if Garrett takes over as the head coach next year you will see Capers come to Dallas....In reality Phillips is our Defensive Coordinator and Stewart is just his "yes man". Capers would of been added as a consultant which I think would of put too many foxes in the hen house so to speak and Capers knew that.....Capers can sit at home this year still getting paid by Miami and then return next year as the DC at Dallas unless he is offered another HC job elsewhere

I'd would have liked to have seen what Capers could do with Ware and Ellis. I'm not impressed with Stewart/Phillips so far. If you'll recall, Wade's Chargers were shutting down the Patriots last year in the AFC Divisional Round, and the Patriots took the ball with 2:04 left in the first half, and went down the field and scored a TD against Wade's soft defense. The NYG did the same thing to the Cowboys in the same round of the playoffs, except they did it in less than a minute. In both situations, that one drive and the decision to play soft may have cost his team the game.

I'd would have liked to have seen what Capers could do with Ware and Ellis. I'm not impressed with Stewart/Phillips so far. If you'll recall, Wade's Chargers were shutting down the Patriots last year in the AFC Divisional Round, and the Patriots took the ball with 2:04 left in the first half, and went down the field and scored a TD against Wade's soft defense. The NYG did the same thing to the Cowboys in the same round of the playoffs, except they did it in less than a minute. In both situations, that one drive and the decision to play soft may have cost his team the game.

The players on the defense are more of the problem with Dallas. Phillips/Stewart can pound it in to their heads all they want, but they continue to admittedly, blow the assignments.

So, they were just giving him a job out of charity?

Seems to me the Cowboys feel like they need more expertise on that side of the ball. Which indicates the current braintrust isn't getting it done. :2cents:

Not charity at all, they felt their was a good coach available so they were going to make room for him.

It said nothing about our current coaches at all

Archived