Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

why we need to draft D line

Buffalo Hunter

in my opinion drafting Dline is a must this year. If you take a look at the starting D linemen in the superbowl and even most of the reserves, you will notice that all were drafted by thier respective teams.

New England- Wilfork, Seymour, Warren, Moss,

New York Giants- Strahan, Umenyiora, Tuck, Coefield :gaintsuck

Our Dline is all free-agents except two diamonds in the rough we found late in the draft. i feel like its time to start building this Defense from the front to the back as opposed to back to front.

Sry if this has already been posted cause im new here but i just wanted to throw out an opinion and see what you guys thought.

:welcome: Buffalo Hunter!

I agree with you 98%. DL or maybe a WR. But if we go WR in the 1st, definately a DL in the second.

There's nothing better than getting constant pressure on the quarterback without needing to blitz. And we're in a division that's very pass-oriented, so this is definately where I'd love to see us invest.

And just an fyi, Chris Long is probably gone by the 10th pick. Doubt he's gonna be around at 21, but who knows.

:welcome: Buffalo Hunter!

I agree with you 98%. DL or maybe a WR. But if we go WR in the 1st, definately a DL in the second.

There's nothing better than getting constant pressure on the quarterback without needing to blitz. And we're in a division that's very pass-oriented, so this is definately where I'd love to see us invest.

And just an fyi, Chris Long is probably gone by the 10th pick. Doubt he's gonna be around at 21, but who knows.

He will be gone by the third pick.

Dline would be the smart pick (redskins history is not that, we always take BPA).

Plus by the 21st pick Dline is not strong, better to pick in the 3rd, 5th and 6th.

Imo Dline is the way but it won't happen, Blache wants CB's, and Zorn will want a WR.

The only way we get a shot at an impact DE is if the cowpukes trade up and get McFadden.

Everyone says Dline, let's be specific we need outside pass rusher bad!

I think every Skins fan will agree that we need help for the DL. DE is obvious but some of us would like DT as well. The real issue, though, is who will be available when the Skins pick in the first, second and third rounds. To my uneducated eye it appears that DE quality drops off quickly. While we need a DE I would not want for the Skins to use a first round pick on second or lower talent. We need good value for each pick.

Funny how the team to go/win the Superbowl set the trend for the following year. Remember last year the hot topic was having two legit running backs. And now it's a D-line like the Giants!

Interesting ain't it?

Chargers- olshansky, castillo, williams

Packers- Gbaja-Biamila, Jenkins, Kampman, Williams

Colts- Freeney, Mathis, Brock

Jags- Stroud, Henderson, McCray

Sea*****- Bernard, Mebane, Tapp

I Hate Even bringing them up:dallasuck

Cowpukes- Spears, Ware, Ratliff, Canty

How is this a trend? Look at who was there at the end because we sure weren't.

A lot of us scratched our heads when a QB was drafted last year. And the strategy of strengthening the secondary and linebackers worked to a point. The big plays of 2006 were cut down drastically in 2007. But let's face it, the Giants beat New England with average linebackers and an average secondary. The main reason was the defensive line. We need depth up front. Run stopping and pressure up front can make stars out of the guys covering patterns and lurking in zones. After losing our best player this season (although Reed played well) its even more critical.

A reason: look at the ages (at the start of 2008 season) for our top 3 DE.

1. Philip Daniels - 35 years old

2. Andre Carter - 29 years old

3. Demetric Evans - 29 years old

At DT, Cornelius Griffin at 31 years old, also hasn't had the same impact that he had that monster year in 2004. He's struggled with nagging injuries throughout and a reason why we've used more of a rotation there.

We need some youth on our D-line. The last time we spent a Day 1 pick on D-line was back in 1997 (Kenard Lang, 17th overall). That's 11 years ago! And D-line has been one our biggest needs for the last 10 years.

We tried FAs with Stubblefield, Wilkinson, Wynn, Daniels, Gardener, Russell, Haley, Dalton, Smith, Coleman, Upshaw, etc. While sometimes we've had a few good seasons from this group, D-line has been the main weakness in our defense, which has been overall good for the most part over 2000-2007 (besides 2003 and 06). We need a young stud D-lineman to make an impact for a long time.

Archived