Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: "SPAGS USING 'SKINS FOR LEVERAGE?"

FrFan

The only thing i would like for Spags to believe is an assistant to help him with the teaching of his defense and become the assistant HC-defense. Allow blatche to work with the Dline again or let him retire and take the money. Zorn is a west coast guy as was Reid in Philly.
Right, something we overlook is that for 8 or so years in Philly, everyday in practice his defense had to go up against the WCO. He knows how to stop it, but he also likely knows how the WCO can exploit defenses, and will likely help Zorn in that regard. Sometimes fresh new faces are better because you can count on them to be hungry and innovative. Gibbs I was known for his in game adjustments, and the Giants defenders say Spagnuolo makes great in-game adjustments himself. It's the aura about him that I want so desperately in this franchise. That would work its way down throughout the staff and would make us a better organization. This is one case where Danny won't be assailed for going after the big name. Get it done Dan!

Because you get an owner who is willing to spend and get you what you want. Because with a couple of moves we are $15 million under the cap

Correction - having an owner that is willing to spend money to get what HE wants.

And a 'couple of moves' means that more older players will end up having bloated contracts in future years and more vet-minimum type players will need to be signed in order to get to the roster number.

But thats not even a consideration, huh? As a previous poster just stated, I would question his IQ if he came into this situation.

We are getting used, he will definitely get a raise to stay in NY, and we will look like suckers, what else is new..... Hire Mooch and get it over with.
Actually, he'll look more like the sucker in the long run if he turns it down. If money is an issue, Snyder will make it worth his while, Snyder won't get used!

Correction - having an owner that is willing to spend money to get what HE wants.

And a 'couple of moves' means that more older players will end up having bloated contracts in future years and more vet-minimum type players will need to be signed in order to get to the roster number.

But thats not even a consideration, huh? As a previous poster just stated, I would question his IQ if he came into this situation.

so at age 49, if a owner gives you up to $20-25 million, you wont take it. Snyder does like to get involved with player signings but wasn't gibbs apart of the trio that brought them players like Lloyd and etc. GW wanted Arch. GW wanted no part in bringing in a sack master

The coaching staff is unlikely to be a big issue since Spags had no say in his staff when he went to the Giants. I also think it's moronic to suggest that interviewing Mariucci & Spags (or anyone else) is public relations -- that just doesn't make any sense. It doesn't mean they won't wind up hiring Fassel, but why should Snyder (or anyone else) care what it LOOKS like?

so at age 49, if a owner gives you up to $20-25 million, you wont take it.

Not if a poor situation causes me to fail, ruins my reputation, and hinders all future consideration as a head coach.

so Snyder does like to get involved with player signings but wasn't gibbs apart of the trio that brought them players like Lloyd and etc. GW wanted Arch. GW wanted no part in bringing in a sack master

So you're theory is that Gibbs and GW are more responsible for the personnel mistakes than Dan? Hmmmm...interesting.

According to Adam Shefter, the contact of Giants offensive coordinator, Kevin Gilbride, has expired. Combine that with negotiating an extension with HC Coughlin, and that's a lot of big coaching contracts to negotiate and pay for. Who knows, they may not want to pay big bucks to their HC, OC, and DC.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80686d3a&template=with-video&confirm=true

the worst part about this is:

if spag does indeed get hired as head coach, and he is a failure, itll be yet another tarnish on snyders already horrible public image and another nail in the coffin of how poorly this franchise is run.

Agreed. If Marty, Gibbs, and Spag all failed under this regime after enjoying great success in other situations, what chance does any head coach have?

Agreed. If Marty, Gibbs, and Spag all failed under this regime after enjoying great success in other situations, what chance does any head coach have?
Danny knows this too. That's why he's taking his sweet time and not just handing the keys to whoever. I think it would have been the same under Williams. If you look at Snyder's pattern of hiring head coaches, he went from Marty (experienced) to Spurrier (unproven in NFL) to Gibbs (proven). It leads me to believe he's going to hire an unproven this time, with it being either Spagnuolo or Meeks. Fassel, IMO is NOT the front runner. The media is using this as a safe bet so they can look okay later if they're wrong.

... sources said, pointing out he had little previous contact with most of New York's defensive staff before joining the Giants from the Eagles a year ago."

Key point here, he's only been in NY for a single season. You'd think if offered, the bigger draw would be to Philadelphia. Since that job's not currently available, what's to lose by coming to Washington?

NY, whether they want to spend through the nose to keep their DC, at least must make the appearance [to their fans] that they're doing their best to keep Spagnuolo.

If he leaves after NY gives a concerted effort to keep him, no one would have reason to be upset. Becoming a head coach is what many, if not most, coaches should aspire for. No one can fault Spagnuolo for chasing the Golden Ticket to Washington.

Through it all, Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that Jim Fassel is still the favorite for the gig, and we agree. In our view, the entire exercise of interviewing other candidates is aimed at allowing Snyder and Cerrato to claim that the organization performed its due diligence before deciding that the otherwise disregarded Fassel is the right man for the job.

Course, even if the Skins actually did their due dilligance and came up with Fassel, I guess no one would believe it. :rolleyes:

There is a lot of assumption that Meeks and Spags would be great head coaches, but we all know that there is a difference from being a coordinator to being a head coach. It is possible that neither could be head coaching material.

At the same time, the article could be right and Spags doesn't take the job and decides to stay in NY for more money. I could see that being a smart move, especially if he wants to wait and see if the Philly job comes open. Course, it is risky. That's why Marvin Lewis took the Cincinatti job, becuase you never know when you are going to get another opportunity. It is possible that he might not ever see another HC interview, especially if the Giants' star falls. It is amazing what happens in a year.

Jason

... It is possible that he might not ever see another HC interview, especially if the Giants' star falls. It is amazing what happens in a year.

Like if the Giants had continued their early season struggles and Coughlin had been axed after the season [rumors had started to grow about TC's job security]? I know it's just conjecture at this point, but if that had happened, Spagnuolo might be like the other Giant coaches -- simply trying to find a new job.

i get so torn on how dan is trying to spin this.

on one hand, i really think its gonna be a D minded coach. he just handed the D coordinator job to blache, who really doesnt have a great track record, and youd think that he'd bring in a D minded coach and have those two work together. that way, you leave the o coordinator to do his job and his job alone, that way we dont have another gibbs vs saunders fiasco where our offense is different from series to series.

but on the other hand, do you think dan feels comfortable with a "rookie" o coordinator running the show? why not let the vet blache run his unit alone, and bring in a guy like mooch who has experience in the WCO to work with zorn, who will be working with campbell as a surrogate QB coach.

damn this coaching search, its hurting my brain!!

If you look at Snyder's pattern of hiring head coaches, he went from Marty (experienced) to Spurrier (unproven in NFL) to Gibbs (proven). It leads me to believe he's going to hire an unproven this time, with it being either Spagnuolo or Meeks.

I truly hope he is not using his hiring of Spurrier as a guide to anything he is doing now.

If I were a betting man, I'd still put my money on Fassel.

No, the bad moves were the one's Dan & Ceratto were responsible for and all the good ones were made by Gibbs & Williams. :rolleyes:

Gibbs and Williams have a thousand times more credibility in my eyes than Dan and Vinny. If Vinny were fired today, he'd be working at ESPN.

The guy was going to get paid regardless and ovbiously Dan is going to be a player in terms of doling out the moola. The guy is determined to become a HC. This is what according to him was of paramount importance. If given the choice, I say he takes the HC gig in a heartbeat.

He is going to get paid regardless but don't you think he wants to squeeze as much dough out of the Gints as possible? The difference is whether he wants and is ready to coach NOW unlike Garrett.

Gibbs and Williams have a thousand times more credibility in my eyes than Dan and Vinny. If Vinny were fired today, he'd be working at ESPN.

Do Gibbs & Williams have more credibility? YES. Does that mean that they've never made mistakes? HELL NO. Gibbs was the team President and I'm pretty sure that means he should get the credit when things went well and the blame when things didn't. Gibbs may be a legend but that doesn't mean Danny should take the fall every time Gibbs focks up.

did you ever read any of vinnys blurbs at espn? they were downright embarrassing. it was like they hired some ho hum fan off the streets to jot down some points about the game. plastering his retarded looking picture next to his even more retarded comments was just painful.

Do Gibbs & Williams have more credibility? YES. Does that mean that they've never made mistakes? HELL NO. Gibbs was the team President and I'm pretty sure that means he should get the credit when things went well and the blame when things didn't. Gibbs may be a legend but that doesn't mean Danny should take the fall every time Gibbs focks up.

Well, unfortunately there is plenty of blame to go around.

But it all starts at the top.

did you ever read any of vinnys blurbs at espn? they were downright embarrassing. it was like they hired some ho hum fan off the streets to jot down some points about the game. plastering his retarded looking picture next to his even more retarded comments was just painful.

Can't draft, can't blog. I know, let's make him VP of Team Operations!

Archived