Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is non-violence violence?

Thinking Skins

That's actually an interesting point of view. I'm not going to complain about his tactics, because his tactics (in part) freed my country, but it does make you wonder whether he ever though in those terms.

And I definately don't want to seem like I'm diminishing the work of Gandhi or MLK by bringing this topic up. But after reading this article, I started thinking about this topic.

Is nonviolence always the answer? If so, what are the different types of nonviolence?

Would a person not named MLK or Gandhi have gotten the same type of reactions to their nonviolent resistance?

I know Jesus says "if your enemy slaps your right cheek, offer him your left cheek also", but is it always the best option to provoke the enemy to the point where they want to resort to violence?

Here's one more question, "If a cop beats a Black guy for nonviolently resisting an unjust law in the middle of the ghetto and nobody's around to hear it, does America give a damn? Or will the cop just plant some marijuana on him and say he was resisting arrest?"

the article i posted was simply for ghandi's quotes, i don't really care what the author had to say about it. if you want some more quotes directly from ghandi's mouth (if you trust the source), how about this:

Kaffirs are as a rule uncivilized - the convicts even more so. They are troublesome, very dirty and live almost like animals.

One can understand the necessity for registration of Kaffirs who will not work.

Ours is one continued struggle against degradation sought to be inflicted upon us by the European, who desire to degrade us to the level of the raw Kaffir, whose occupation is hunting and whose sole ambition is to collect a certain number of cattle to buy a wife with, and then pass his life in indolence and nakedness.

You say that the magistrate's decision is unsatisfactory because it would enable a person, however unclean, to travel by a tram, and that even the Kaffirs would be able to do so. But the magistrate's decision is quite different. The Court declared that the Kaffirs have no legal right to travel by tram. And according to tram regulations, those in an unclean dress or in a drunken state are prohibited from boarding a tram. Thanks to the Court's decision, only clean Indians or coloured people other than Kaffirs, can now travel in the trams.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Ghandi

it would appear that he was all for advancing the upper-class indian people, but didn't seem to like lower-class indians and black people.

Archived