Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Salary cap expert available...

VinceGeorgeJoe

The Redskins should immediately hire Andrew Brandt, who has just left the Packers.

He's born and raised in Chevy Chase, Maryland. I knew him growing up, good guy...bet he'd come home.

FROM PRO FOOTBALL TALK;

BRANDT LEAVES PACKERS

The casual football fan likely has never heard of Andrew Brandt. But Brandt has been a key component of the success of the Green Bay Packers over the past several years.

Brandt, the V.P. of player finance and general counsel in Green Bay, is leaving immediately. He spent six years in that role, and nine overall with the team.

He won't discuss his reasons for leaving until after the announcement is formally made. But the fact that he's leaving without another job raises questions about whether it's an amicable parting.

Brandt was one of four finalists for the position of team president, which is the closest thing to an owner in Green Bay. It's odd to think that it was an up-or-out proposition for Brandt, but it very well might have been.

Though not a "football guy" in the industry sense of the term, which means that he doesn't scout players, one look at his online bio reveals that he was a key component in managing a successful NFL team during the salary-cap era.

Brandt likely will be in high demand, and the Packers' rivals in the NFC North would be wise to be the first ones to chase him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POSTED 3:08

VGJ,

Dont the redskins already have a "salary cap expert?" What position would Brandt have here?

Joe Mendes was our "cap" expert from about 93-2000, but left once and Cerrato took his place. I thought he came back a couple of years ago, although I may be wrong.

It's possible he left again Jan 2004 and never came back. That was the latest I could find.

One thing the Skins are good at is always managing to get under the cap despite all of the high-priced signings since the Snyder era began. I don't think we need an expert right now. The problems lie with WHO we're signing and how much we're paying them for quality services, which sometimes there is definitely a lack of.

Although, this year might be the toughest so far since we're something like $20M over as of now (may not be correct). But I expect some players to perhaps be released or restructured (Lloyd, Brunell, etc)...

thats cuz all of the players signed are cheap draft picks and not heavily priced free agents.

They'll have plenty of hefty salaries to deal will just like any other team. Guys like, Favre, Nick Barnett, Charles Woodson, Al Harris, Donald Driver, Aaron Kampman, Mark Tauscher and Kabeer to name a few.

They'll have plenty of hefty salaries to deal will just like any other team. Guys like, Favre, Nick Barnett, Charles Woodson, Al Harris, Donald Driver, Aaron Kampman, Mark Tauscher and Kabeer to name a few.

good thing theyre almost 20 Mil under the cap huh

The Redskins should immediately hire Andrew Brandt, who has just left the Packers.

He's born and raised in Chevy Chase, Maryland. I knew him growing up, good guy...bet he'd come home.

FROM PRO FOOTBALL TALK;

BRANDT LEAVES PACKERS

The casual football fan likely has never heard of Andrew Brandt. But Brandt has been a key component of the success of the Green Bay Packers over the past several years.

Brandt, the V.P. of player finance and general counsel in Green Bay, is leaving immediately. He spent six years in that role, and nine overall with the team.

He won't discuss his reasons for leaving until after the announcement is formally made. But the fact that he's leaving without another job raises questions about whether it's an amicable parting.

Brandt was one of four finalists for the position of team president, which is the closest thing to an owner in Green Bay. It's odd to think that it was an up-or-out proposition for Brandt, but it very well might have been.

Though not a "football guy" in the industry sense of the term, which means that he doesn't scout players, one look at his online bio reveals that he was a key component in managing a successful NFL team during the salary-cap era.

Brandt likely will be in high demand, and the Packers' rivals in the NFC North would be wise to be the first ones to chase him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POSTED 3:08

Vinney can do it all!!

obviously no one is gonna come in here and tell dan how to spend his money. He might tell dan what to give him per yr but hes not gonna tell him to spend x amount of dollars this yr because dan already has a guy who say spend what u want ill make the cap work

Archived