Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskin Pride and Tradition

D'Pablo

I've grown increasingly resigned to the fact that Coaches Gibbs and Williams have left the organization. Though somewhat assuaged by the retaining of a few coaching assistants, I feel that our loss will deepen with every passing day. In Joe Gibbs, we had a true teacher of Redskin tradition. I believe that Gregg Williams became his disciple in this regard, as he often addressed the meaning of being a Redskin. Together, they had players on both sides of the ball making unsolicited remarks about being "True Redskins."

This was noticeably absent in the years between Gibbs I and Gibbs II. Many fans clamored for a return to tradition, and received it with Coach Gibbs's return. Redskin players became visibly excited in the lead up to Cowboy games, an effect that Norv Turner's lack of intensity, Marty Schottenheimer's indifference, and Steve Spurrier's lethargy failed to achieve. The result? The Redskins gained more victories against the Cowboys during Gibbs II than in the eight years prior.

While I believe it possible that a coach alien to this organization may adopt all things Redskin, ala George Allen, it is more likely that we will end up with a coach like Schottenheimer, who, with one victory over the 5-11 Cowboys in 01', would have sent us to the playoffs. I sincerely hope that in our quest to find another head coach, we give special consideration to candidates willing to observe and teach all of our beloved Redskin traditions.

The Skins under Danny's regime and ownership have NONE!

The Skins were a storied franchise under the Cooke ownership and had 3 superbowl victorys.

The coaching carousel at FedEx Field makes us the laughing stock. Sorry to see Gregg not get the Head Coaching position.

The Skins under Danny's regime and ownership have NONE!

The Skins were a storied franchise under the Cooke ownership and had 3 superbowl victorys.

The coaching carousel at FedEx Field makes us the laughing stock. Sorry to see Gregg not get the Head Coaching position.

-Sad but true.

The Second Coming of Gibbs was overall a failure. I agree that the Reedskins were and still are a ''storied'' franchise and I'm willing to wait and see what happens. Continuity WOULD be nice but it's a new age and those days are gone. Just because I have 0 love for the front office doesn't diminish my love for the Redskins.

Hail to the Redskins!

Guys, Gibbs would have been gone next year and really to me, the only Redskins tradition that matters is WINNING.

So, would you be happy if we went 14-2 and then lost in the NFC championship, with all three losses to the Cowboys? There's a lot more than just winning, although that comprises the bulk of it all. If winning is our only tradition held sacred, then ideally, we should all be Patriot fans.

Guys, Gibbs would have been gone next year and really to me, the only Redskins tradition that matters is WINNING.

WE DONT NEED 50 GUT TO WIN.

WE DONT NEED GIBBS TO WIN

WE DONT NEED WILLIAMS TO WIN

Have faith.

blah blah blah!

Time for a new era.

Gibbs is gone. its over. let it go.

Time to find us a new Gibbs.

Time to find us a new leader.

I'm ready to move on.

I agree...The Shock is over, so let's move on...

While I believe it possible that a coach alien to this organization may adopt all things Redskin' date=' ala George Allen, it is more likely that we will end up with a coach like Schottenheimer, who, with one victory over the 5-11 Cowboys in 01', would have sent us to the playoffs. I sincerely hope that in our quest to find another head coach, we give special consideration to candidates willing to observe and teach all of our beloved Redskin traditions.[/quote']

We need to have a coach here long enough to know what it means to be a Redskin. Although I agree with your assumptions on the interim coaches between Gibbs I and II, I think if a coach were here for the long-term he would understand what this team is really all about.

He (Snyder) was seen as a galvanizing force for the generosity he showed after Taylor was shot and at his funeral. He showed strong leadership in a time of genuine crisis.

For a franchise always accused of never grasping the significance of how to behave at an important moment -- public perception changed in a matter of months. With how Williams's firing was handled, it took less than two weeks to undo all the unifying feelings that emerged from the Taylor tragedy.

In the end, everyone lost much more than a coaching job.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/26/AR2008012602358_2.html?sid=ST2008012602667

Tradition is about winning. In fact, usually the word is in a phrase where the word "winning" precedes the word "tradition."

We all know Snyder is a successful businessman. He's been here nine years and he's made a boat load of money.

But ask yourself -- is Dan Snyder truly a leader of men?

But ask yourself -- is Dan Snyder truly a leader of men?

The question all leaders have to ask themselves is "Would I follow me?" I don't see how Snyder can look himself in the mirror and think "Yes, yes I'd run through a wall for me." The guy is such a greedy little weasel and now, with how he has handled the fallout of Gibbs resigning, we can add "two-faced" to the list of qualities that make him anything but a leader.

Have faith.

I agree with you 100%. The one thing that I don't want is Jim Fassel, but if he were to coach and to win, obviously I would be swayed, but I don't know if he has it in him. The Redskins are a proud franchise and I will back them 100%, but I do want them to be forthright in their dealings. If they want continuity, then follow through. If they want to go in a different direction, then just use some legalease to say that you are going in different direction. I think that Snyder and Gibbs made some of the problem by saying that they wanted continuity. Williams wasn't my choice to lead, but if they wanted continuity and they wanted someone who knew the players, he was a better choice than a retread outsider. That is my opinion, but if Fassel were to come in and win, then you better believe a lot of fans, including myself would be eating crow and welcome him in now doubt. Winning cures a lot of ills.

Everyone looses at some time. Noble Traditions have as much to do with how you handle fear, failure and tragedy as well as success. Words like dignity, honor, nobility have lost much of their value in our popular American culture. Riches are prized more than a good life.

People like Gibbs brought pride, dignity and honor back to the skins. And they accomplished several goals, the made the playoffs, and beat division rivals. They also brough in quite a few good players. So I don't consider Gibbs II a failure. The dividends will continue to be seen for many years.

Good traditions are about more than winning. They are as much about how you live, how you handle life.

I believe people who experience tragedy and loss understand this a bit better than those that have not.

No coach of the skins has every won a Super Bowl, except Gibbs. If the cost of the three trophys was Gibbs II, I AM MORE THAN WILLING TO PAY THAT PRICE.

I've been thinking a great deal about Redskin Pride and tradition myself lately. However, I'm more of the mindset that "Pride and Tradition" went out the window as soon as Dan Snyder bought the team. Dan Snyder replaced "Pride and Tradition" with dollars and cents.......

I've been thinking a great deal about Redskin "Pride and Tradition" myself lately. However, I'm more of the mindset that "Pride and Tradition" went out the window as soon as Dan Snyder bought the team. Dan Snyder replaced "Pride and Tradition" with dollars and cents.......

The Second Coming of Gibbs was overall a failure. I agree that the Reedskins were and still are a ''storied'' franchise and I'm willing to wait and see what happens. Continuity WOULD be nice but it's a new age and those days are gone. Just because I have 0 love for the front office doesn't diminish my love for the Redskins.

Hail to the Redskins!

:doh:

Have faith.

Brother, I so hope you're right. I agree in principle, though I have my doubts about the immediacy of said winning. I'll settle for later rather than sooner so long as a solid foundation is in place that will ensure continuity and progress.

Archived