Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Nevada Caucus/Republican SC Primary Thread

88Comrade2000

Well today is the Nevada Caucus for both parties and the South Carolina Republican primary. The Dems have their SC Primary next Saturday.

I figure Obama gets a narrow victory over Hillary in Nevada. Noone is really contesting the Republican NV caucus, so Mitt Romney should win that one.

For Republicans it's all on South Carolina. Mccain needs to win a come a close second or else he won't be getting much new funds. It's not so crucial for Huckabee as they are plenty of other southern states for him. Thompson has to finish second or first or else he's done. I have no clue who will win. Probably one of 3 I just mentioned.

I think Huckabee is going to win South Carolina. Although I disagree with his foreign policy, I like his talk about eliminating the IRS, cutting taxes, as well as being a very strong pro-lifer. IMO, he's a distant second in my book behind Paul. Romney, seems to sound like every other politician, lots of good sound bites, but no real plan. A professional flip flopper, tons of money but still struggling to pull ahead of the pack. McCain is no friend of the conservative. Want's to all of a sudden seem strong on illegal immagration after that whole " you couldn't do those jobs if I gave you 50 bucks an hour" outburst a few years ago. Ghoulliani, well need I say more.

On the Democrat side. I think Obama wins both S.C. and Nevada. Hillary will not go away anytime soon and I expect this one to get even uglier with more personal attacks and smear campaigns from both sides.

The GOP in NV has been a cluster $#%^ for the past weeks. I dont understand why this is transpiring, but I know if I were a Republican in NV (Which I used to be), I'd be livid.

details:

The Nevada Republican Party has changed the rules for eligibility requirements for caucusing three times since January 9. Last summer when the January 19 caucus was set, the Nevada GOP announced that caucus would be closed and only for Republicans who had registered by December 19.

On January 10, 2008, a caucus director for the Nevada Republican Party reversed the earlier policy and anounced a new standard by stating that any person who asserts that they are a registered Republican in the precinct but cannot be found in the voter rolls that the Republican party has, would be able to participate if they signed an affidavit attesting to the fact that they were a registered Republican. Then, on January 15 the Ron Paul campaign received communication from the state party that the affidavits would not be used.

However, on January 17 the policy was changed for a third time, as the state party announced that affidavits would be in use throughout the state, subject to the discretion of county central committees and chairs.

The Nevada Republican Party is changing the rules from week to week, and currently the rules will not even be uniform across the state, as eligibility rules may differ from county to county.

The results will be interesting to see with Nevada likely going to Mitt and the only suspense is the runners up.

SC is quite a bit more interesting with it's large pool of undecided and not firmly committed voters.

Will they continue the string of choosing the next GOP champ?

The GOP in NV has been a cluster $#%^ for the past weeks. I dont understand why this is transpiring, but I know if I were a Republican in NV (Which I used to be), I'd be livid.

details:

The Nevada Republican Party has changed the rules for eligibility requirements for caucusing three times since January 9. Last summer when the January 19 caucus was set, the Nevada GOP announced that caucus would be closed and only for Republicans who had registered by December 19.

On January 10, 2008, a caucus director for the Nevada Republican Party reversed the earlier policy and anounced a new standard by stating that any person who asserts that they are a registered Republican in the precinct but cannot be found in the voter rolls that the Republican party has, would be able to participate if they signed an affidavit attesting to the fact that they were a registered Republican. Then, on January 15 the Ron Paul campaign received communication from the state party that the affidavits would not be used.

However, on January 17 the policy was changed for a third time, as the state party announced that affidavits would be in use throughout the state, subject to the discretion of county central committees and chairs.

The Nevada Republican Party is changing the rules from week to week, and currently the rules will not even be uniform across the state, as eligibility rules may differ from county to county.

I know why....

Look, a month ago, the Nevada GOP was considered to be a big deal. Then they realized that Paul has a ton of support here and now it is Dem only.

Go figure. I'm crazy though, so don't listen to me....

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2008/jan/19/caucus-goers-beware/

Caucus-goers beware

Sat, Jan 19, 2008 (2 a.m.)

The Democratic Party has confirmed that some voters received calls deliberately providing false information about their caucus site and time. To be clear: Caucus meetings open at 9 a.m. for Republicans and 11 a.m. for Democrats. You can double-check your caucus site online or by phone. Republicans: (702) 258-9182. Democrats: (702) 737-VOTE (8683).

For any more last-minute caucus information, check out the Sun's Caucus Guide.

I think Huckabee is going to win South Carolina. Although I disagree with his foreign policy, I like his talk about eliminating the IRS, cutting taxes, as well as being a very strong pro-lifer.

Huckabee is not about cutting taxes. His record as governor shows a net tax increase. He received an F from the Cato Institute for his fiscal policy.

He doesn't want to eliminate the IRS. He wants to replace it with the "fair tax", which does nothing more than open the door for us to have a federal sales tax AND a federal income tax.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2008/jan/19/caucus-goers-beware/

Caucus-goers beware

Sat, Jan 19, 2008 (2 a.m.)

The Democratic Party has confirmed that some voters received calls deliberately providing false information about their caucus site and time. To be clear: Caucus meetings open at 9 a.m. for Republicans and 11 a.m. for Democrats. You can double-check your caucus site online or by phone. Republicans: (702) 258-9182. Democrats: (702) 737-VOTE (8683).

For any more last-minute caucus information, check out the Sun's Caucus Guide.

my money's on the clinton campaign being behind this

my money's on the clinton campaign being behind this

No, it seems to be in the hands of one Steve Wark, of the NV GOP. He is an avid 9ui11ni supporter. See donation stats below

STEVEN WARK » NV » Las Vegas Contributor Candidate or PAC Amount Date FEC Filing

WARK, STEVEN J MR.

LAS VEGAS , NV 89129

CAPITOL STRATEGIES/EXECUTIVE GIULIANI, RUDOLPH W. ®

President

RUDY GIULIANI PRESIDENTIAL COMMITTEE INC $-2,300

primary 03/13/07

WARK, STEVEN J MR.

LAS VEGAS , NV 89129

CAPITOL STRATEGIES/EXECUTIVE GIULIANI, RUDOLPH W. ®

President

RUDY GIULIANI PRESIDENTIAL COMMITTEE INC $4,600

primary 03/13/07

Wark, Steven J. Mr.

Las Vegas, NV 89128

Image and Design/Business Executive

STRAIGHT TALK AMERICA $1,000

primary 05/31/06

Wark, Steven J

Las Vegas, NV 89104

Image & Design Inc./Owner

RICH POLITICAL ACTION COMMITTEE $1,500

primary 12/07/05

WARK, STEVEN

LAS VEGAS, NV 89104

IMAGE & RESIGN/OWNER LUNGREN, DANIEL E ®

House (CA 03)

LUNGREN FOR CONGRESS $1,000

general 06/30/04

Wark, Steven J.

Las Vegas, NV 89104

Image & Design Inc./Owner

RICH POLITICAL ACTION COMMITTEE $500

primary 11/12/03

WARK, STEVEN JAMES

LAS VEGAS, NV 89104

IMAGE & DESIGN INC PORTER, JON SR ®

House (NV 03)

FRIENDS OF JON PORTER INC $500

primary 09/18/00

WARK, STEVEN

LAS VEGAS, NV 89104 ASHCROFT, JOHN D ®

Senate - MO

ASHCROFT 2000 $1,000

primary 08/07/00

WARK, STEVEN JAMES

LAS VEGAS, NV 89104

House (NV 03)

FRIENDS OF JON PORTER INC $1,000

general 06/30/00

WARK, STEVEN JAMES

LAS VEGAS, NV 89104

House (NV 03)

FRIENDS OF JON PORTER INC $500

primary 06/16/00

Not exactly sure why clear conflicts of interest are allowed to make massive and multiple changes to the caucus rules in the 2 weeks leadi g up to the contests. These decisions should be made in a less biased way. :2cents:

I know why....

Look, a month ago, the Nevada GOP was considered to be a big deal. Then they realized that Paul has a ton of support here and now it is Dem only.

Go figure. I'm crazy though, so don't listen to me....

Who let you back in? :rotflmao:

No, it seems to be in the hands of one Steve Wark, of the NV GOP. He is an avid 9ui11ni supporter. See donation stats below

Not exactly sure why clear conflicts of interest are allowed to make massive and multiple changes to the caucus rules in the 2 weeks leadi g up to the contests. These decisions should be made in a less biased way. :2cents:

interesting, i guess he's trying to make the dem with the least electability to win the primary.

based on Entrance polls on CNN.

Romney wins it

***Paul commanding second

http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/epolls/#NVREP

again, just based on entrance polling. Still have to wait for the real vote tallys, but all MSM is using it to report a Romney win. of course mums the word on Paul's second though. hmmm I wonder why?

Still have to wait for the real vote tallys, but all MSM is using it to report a Romney win. of course mums the word on Paul's second though. hmmm I wonder why?

It's a conspiracy. :silly:

Truthfully, Romney ran away with this one, as was expected. There's a very big margin between him and the rest of the field in this caucus, so I don't think anyone's going to make a big deal who finished 2nd, 3rd, or lower.

It's a conspiracy. :silly:

Truthfully, Romney ran away with this one, as was expected. There's a very big margin between him and the rest of the field in this caucus, so I don't think anyone's going to make a big deal who finished 2nd, 3rd, or lower.

A Paul second would be huge for him. I know you would like to spin it as not a big deal and we really dont know exactly what the rankings will be yet, but please.

If losing 52-10 is an accomplisment, more power to you.

Not sure where you are getting that from.

It's very early with only .22% of precincts reporting and the vote margin between Romney and Paul is less than 100 votes.

That said, I believe Romney will take NV due to the very high population of LDS there.

Lets just wait and see before we jump all over each other over incomplete results though.

A second place finish for Paul would still be a huge accomplishment, regardless of the %'s. I don't care how you chose to spin it.

Not sure where you are getting that from.

It's very early with only .22% of precincts reporting and the vote margin between Romney and Paul is less than 100 votes.

That said, I believe Romney will take NV due to the very high population of LDS there.

Lets just wait and see before we jump all over each other over incomplete results though.

A second place finish for Paul would still be a huge accomplishment, regardless of the %'s. I don't care how you chose to spin it.

If the projections hold up, Romney will win by over 30-35 percentage points. Not sure how much 2nd or 3rd really means with that margin of victory.

(The 52-10 was in reference to getting trounced by the Patriots this year. :silly: )

If the projections hold up, Romney will win by over 30-35 percentage points. Not sure how much 2nd or 3rd really means with that margin of victory.

(The 52-10 was in reference to getting trounced by the Patriots this year. :silly: )

ugh, I'm dense today! sorry I missed the Pats reference!

I think that 2nd and 3rd are important in terms of delegates, and secondarilly, media reporting.

To me, if Paul pulls out a second or even a third and gains a few delegates along the way, maybe some fence sitters who are worried about the "He cant win" deal would possibly change their mind. :2cents:

ugh, I'm dense today! sorry I missed the Pats reference!

I think that 2nd and 3rd are important in terms of delegates, and secondarilly, media reporting.

To me, if Paul pulls out a second or even a third and gains a few delegates along the way, maybe some fence sitters who are worried about the "He cant win" deal would possibly change their mind. :2cents:

That's a bit of a stretch. I'll give you that 2nd is a positive for Paul, but he only has 2 delegates to date.

By the way, I just remembered the Redskins-Pats score was 52-7. :doh: Even worse than I recalled.

Archived