Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Raccoon Removal

bigmanindc

Does anyone know if those devices that you plug into outlets work toget rid of raccoons because I have a problem in my crawl space beween my ceiling and roof not considered an attic but not really a crawl space because you cant crawl in there. I dont want to have to tear down ceiling but since I have a flat roof considering putting a trap on roof.

I bought my house this past summer, but didn't realize I did not get the deed from the true owners, a momma raccoon and her 2 kids.

Animal Control told me they could not remove them if they where not inside my house, and even if they could, they could only release the animal somewhere on my property and not at a different location. My lot is 40' x 160', so I think these little buggers would be able to find their way back. I wouldnt trust any electronic or gimmicky gadgets, becasue those little buggers are smart and patient and after a while would probably figure out the device or just ignore it all together.

To combat the problem I have tried 3 things with varying success.

1: cayenne pepper powder. Buy the cheapest largest bag you can find and sprinkle it all over the area you have a problem with. Try getting areas where they would be forced to put their hands (paws? claws?) or face near or on. If they get it on their face or hands and then rub their face, they will NOT go anywhere near that spot for a while. I did this around the base of a tree and in my garbage bin, the only problem is that since its outside, the pepper can blow or get washed away over time.

2: go to a garden centre and get a product called bone meal. its crushed up animal bones used as part of a fertilizer. you can sprinkle this around like the pepper. This stuff seemed to last longer and work better than the cayenne pepper, but was not as cheap.

3: coyote urine extract, sometimes called coyote scent or even simply coyote pee. This stuff is the bomb! I spread it around the perimter of my property and along my roof where they like to walk. I did this October and re applied once again in December and have not had 1 raccoon in my yard since. The product is pretty simple, once an animal smells the urine of one of its predators, it will not even think of entering an area where its predator has marked as it's territory. Now it did have an ammonia type smell to it, but not that strong. Keep in mind I used mine outdoors and I never had to worry about heating up a room with this stuff in it.

My suggestion is to use the cayenne peper inside, probably have to reapply every month or more depending on how humid the space is, and use the coyote urine outside and on the roof. The coyote urine should keep them out completly, but its good to have the pepper back up inside. I would not use the bone meal inside as it is a bioligical product and could be a nice breading ground for bacteria. Hopefully those buggers are squeezing their way throug a small opening face first to get in, if they are find that spot and coat it with the pepper.

Archived