Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Injury prone?

roulette

Now that the season's over, and I've had some time to really reflect on what happened over the year, I've come to a question. Are the Redskins, as a team, injury prone?

What I mean is that we had the injury bug bad this year. And it wasn't much better last year. And 2005 wasn't real good to us either.

Looking at just this year, we lost all of our starting WRs for some section of the season and some of the backups as well. The right side of the o-line was walking wounded all year. We lost Carlos and Rocky. Then our QB. That's a lot of key positions. It seems like more than a lot of other teams really faced, but I admit that may just be a matter of perspective.

We did well and demonstrated a lot of depth, don't get me wrong. Some of those injuries, nothing could prevent. But I wonder if there may be a flaw in our training and conditioning programs? Or our we just having a

lot of bad luck?

I dunno. Thoughts?

Football is a violent sport; a percentage of inuries are simply a matter of bad luck.

Injuries are even more likely when weak players (Wade and Heyer) are overmatched by stronger players (Aaron Kampman).

When you recruit veteran players with an injury history, those players are even more likely to be injured again (Springs, Griffin, Salave'a, Noble, Smoot, Moss and others).

Older vets accumulate injuries and are more likely to miss games or play at a lower level because of them.

The better the athlete, the better able he is to avoid the kind of collisions that create injuries (LaDainian Tomlinson).

The better the athlete, the better able he is to avoid the kind of collisions that create injuries (LaDainian Tomlinson).
There is a bit of a domino effect, too. If half of the offensive line gooes down, quarterback and runningback injury is more likely. If your best wide receiver goes down, the rest are more likely to get injured because they're playing against more physical defensive backs. And so forth.

There is a bit of a domino effect, too. If half of the offensive line gooes down, quarterback and runningback injury is more likely. If your best wide receiver goes down, the rest are more likely to get injured because they're playing against more physical defensive backs. And so forth.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Recent example: Todd Collins was more at risk against Seattle than Brett Favre -- especially from being hammered by Patrick Kearny.

It does seem that year after year we have a ton of people hurt. The vets on the O line seem to miss most of the season for the last 3 years. We need to get a younger and faster team. This FA sign the old guy mentality has killed us. When you look at teams like the Pats and Cowboys, they have been very healthy all year.

It's tough for any offensive lineman to make it an entire season, but when you add age into the mix, and/or previous injuries the odds of having a season ending injury go up. The younger the OL, the less chance you have of injuries.

It's one reason they call them "aging vets". The youngest linemen, Samuels, made it through the season and was hurt just for training camp, which actually worked out, because it gave Heyer some much-needed playing time. Not enough, obviously.. but his natural position is left tackle and that position is filled.

Football is a violent sport; a percentage of inuries are simply a matter of bad luck.

Injuries are even more likely when weak players (Wade and Heyer) are overmatched by stronger players (Aaron Kampman).

When you recruit veteran players with an injury history, those players are even more likely to be injured again (Springs, Griffin, Salave'a, Noble, Smoot, Moss and others).

Older vets accumulate injuries and are more likely to miss games or play at a lower level because of them.

its funny you mention him now seeing that he was sidelined for half the game. Weird.

Part of it is a domino effect. It's just common sense- an injury not only effects the player injured, but the teammates at the same position, and the other positions on the offense (offensive line is a perfect example.)

Yet, these nagging hamstring and quad injuries are avoidable. There is no reason for the amount that the Redskins suffered this season, if there are proper warmups before games and practices, and most importantly, a training camp where these guys are conditioned properly to avoid those injuries during the season.

That is the Redskins weak spot.....training camp. Does anyone remember when we've had a real tough training camp?

Our entire O-line is over 30. Them staying healthy was a tremendous longshot. Poor decision by coaching staff, stock all the glamour positions, but neglect the trenches.

Rogers & McIntosh both, bad luck.

Campbell--direct result of O-line stupidity.

Moss was known to be an injury-machine before we traded for him. At a lower price, he would be worth keeping, but based on what we're paying, the games missed due to injury, AND the games he chokes in now, he is not worth it. ARE is best suited as #3, perhaps #2. We could easily cut/trade every reciever on the roster except ARE, IF we had picks. I'm all for giving Mix a shot.

I have been working out all my life ... -- I get injured often enough with pulls and such ... and here is my view ...

(1) Conditioning is pretty damned important in avoiding injuries.

(2) Proper nutrition and rest (adjusted for the level of traiining intensity) help a great deal.

(3) It is easy to "fall off" peak condition, where as it takes much longer to get in shape.

For pro athletes, it is easier to be in year-round shape, than to stop training and trying to regain their conditioning. People like Moss probably should always be training, at some level, thoughout the year.

Now that the season's over, and I've had some time to really reflect on what happened over the year, I've come to a question. Are the Redskins, as a team, injury prone?

What I mean is that we had the injury bug bad this year. And it wasn't much better last year. And 2005 wasn't real good to us either.

Looking at just this year, we lost all of our starting WRs for some section of the season and some of the backups as well. The right side of the o-line was walking wounded all year. We lost Carlos and Rocky. Then our QB. That's a lot of key positions. It seems like more than a lot of other teams really faced, but I admit that may just be a matter of perspective.

We did well and demonstrated a lot of depth, don't get me wrong. Some of those injuries, nothing could prevent. But I wonder if there may be a flaw in our training and conditioning programs? Or our we just having a

lot of bad luck?

I dunno. Thoughts?

i just look at it that our o-line just got that much better for our backups they got alot of expierence and that is a good thing.

Archived