Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another ho-hum evening I see....

Art

I leave for a while to get some husband points back with the wife and a clown is earned, we're going to leave the draft after Day 1 it seems, Stai takes the gas pipe, we're still not done yet, and there's a three-year plan in place. Boring nights as Redskin fans I tell ya :).

Let's see, where to begin.

I loved reading we would sign Kevin Mitchell back. We don't have depth at linebacker if he leaves. I thought he'd want a starting job. If he's happy backing up Trotter, then we're golden here.

The Redskins are being VERY smart to target special teams as they are. Chad Morton is an inspired move. The cost is just a bit outrageous. I could live with a fifth. But, this will basically cost us a seventh, a fourth and a fifth to get him. We must really want him to give New England what we did. We must know he's going to sign here with a clause in his contract that reads if he signs with anyone else the owner of the other team has to pleasure Dan Snyder for a month or something. His contract CAN'T be that enormous. I like adding him. The price is STEEP boy.

But, you can't deny we are going to be a better special teams unit out there. I was kind of hoping we'd see Wood**** or someone internally step up. But, when you can get NFL skill at this spot as one of the better returners in the league last year I suppose you should just do it.

The Bowen move is interesting. He seemed active last year in the games I remember him in. Young guy with size. Kind of an unknown. Worth a sixth given some solid starts under his belt, but, it's hard to say he solves your safety need until you see him a little.

It is very clear though we are going to move to fill as many needs as possible in free agency even if it means limiting the number of possible draft picks. I suspect you may see some downward action on our part now as well in the draft. Snyder's talking about a plan and it does appear one is in place. Certainly coupled with the last offseason you see a clarity in thought and execution here.

You see younger starters from other teams being brought in. Players WITH playoff experience for the most part. What you haven't built here in terms of a winning atmosphere, you are importing in most of these signings. You are getting guys who know what the playoffs are all about and who won't be happy not getting back after switching teams. That's pretty good stuff if you ask me.

I do think we're going to need to ease off the throttle soon. Let Philly snap up the Mark Simoneau's of the world for two draft picks and be praised for it. We need to take a breath and see where we are before going too much deeper beyond the moves we've already heard about.

I thought it wasn't possible to address every need in one offseason, yet we seem to be attempting just that. At least it gives us plenty to talk about. :D

Another thread points to Jets fans really wanting to keep Morton. He did have that monster playoff game, but it does seem like a lot for a guy to just return kicks. If he can increase our return average by 10 yards, that's one less first down Ramsey has to earn. Hopefully we have some guys that can open a hole for him to run through.

Call me a homer, but I still wished SOS would have given Gillespie more of a chance to return kicks (since he did return some at UF). He's got speed and moves and would come cheap since he's sitting on the practice squad and waiting to get some PT in NFL Europe. With the addition of another of his type at RB with the Canidate addition, I doubt we'll even keep him on the practice squad unfortunately.

Tarhog, get some help man....I beg of you. Art, I'm not nearly as concerned about giving up a seventh this year and next year's fourth in order to get Morton. He seems to be the scare we need on special teams, and he's been mentioned to be an above average receiver out of the backfield. I think we can get that fourth rounder back at some point next spring. I'm praying for a first round trade down that nets us a couple of these second day picks back.

After excitedly reading 3 hours worth of back-posts last night I drifted off into peaceful slumber. But an apparition appeared to me to shake me from my dreams of skins glory recaptured. He revealed the TRUE PLAN. I found myself before 3 doors. A hooded figure pointed ominously to door #3. I couldn't bear to open it. I threw open door #1 to find the Skins trading down and picking up a solid D lineman and a fast, but less heralded WR. The reaper (who curiously, for a reaper type, was rather short, wearing glasses and a smug expression) merely grinned and shook his head. I moved to door #2 with trepidation, sweat making the knob difficult even to turn. I opened it. There I saw my beloved team cleverly trading up to the three spot, then relinquishing the cherised position to those less level-headed for a bevy of choice picks in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds. I felt all gushy inside. But the reaper again grinned his terrible grin, and with a single bony finger pointed to door #3. 'No!' I shouted 'You can't make me open it!'. But an evil force propelled me towards that dark portal. 'I don't want to look! Wasn't Norv evil enough for you you hell spawn! Leave me be!'. But the reaper was to exact his terrible price. There was no resisting. My hands grasped the red hot doorknob, shaking. A wave of nausea overcame me as I pulled against the great rusted hinges. The stench was overpowering, what evil had I unleashed? No matter how repulsed, I forced my cowering eyes towards this premonition of Redskins draft day...and beheld....

The Redskins trading Canidate, Thomas, Noble, Upshaw, Johnson, Hall, Friedman, and Fiore to move up and with the #1 pick in the NFL Draft select......Rex Grossman, QB

Be gone demon, Be gone.....

'

Originally posted by Tarhog

The Redskins trading Canidate, Thomas, Noble, Upshaw, Johnson, Hall, Friedman, and Fiore to move up and with the #1 pick in the NFL Draft select......Carson Palmer, QB

Be gone demon, Be gone.....

'

It would have been better if you had said:

...Rex Grossman, QB - University of Florida. :laugh:

It is surprising to see quite the volume of moves made. Though, we may still be short at safety when it's all over, and presuming one move for a receiver, defensive end or tackle in the draft, we are still short the other two. Like last year, we won't have addressed all of our needs. But, combined with last year, we are that much closer.

Tarhog, may the power of Christ compel you.

With our new found stability this is really the first time that we have had a plan. I am surprised about the trade of draft picks to go after Morton . The Jets have the cap room to match an offer--will be curious to see what how the contract for Morton reads.

The Redskins are being VERY smart to target special teams as they are. Chad Morton is an inspired move. The cost is just a bit outrageous. I could live with a fifth. But, this will basically cost us a seventh, a fourth and a fifth to get him.

Art, I agree that we're giving up too much to get Morton, but it's only a fourth (next year) and a seventh -- it's not also a fifth, b/c we didn't have that fifth before we gave up the fourth and seventh to the Pats.

Archived