Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does Gregg Williams even like the personnel we have now?

kcofdc

I keep reading how fans want to promote Gregg Williams to head coach because he will keep building on what we have now. How do we know that?

What if he doesnt like the direction of the offense and wants to blow it up?

What if he doesnt like the direction the team is going in and decides he wants to do things his way.

I dont know who should be the coach, but sometimes you have to be carefull what you ask for. I dont think we should be so quick to anoint Gregg Williams as head coach unless we truly know his intentions first.

The FUNNY THING is that everybody get's mad at Snyder for not brining in a General Manager, and these same people don't want him to bring in Bill Cowher who has been documented as saying that he wants full control and to bring in a personnel guy with him.

I can't for the life of me figure out how anybody could be disappointed with having Bill Cowher as Head Coach. His results speak for itself, and his players love him.

I have no problem with Greg Williams either, and you do have a good point that he may want to make changes also. I've got to believe that if Gibbs thought that Williams was the man for the job, that he would share that with Snyder, and you'd have to think that Snyder would heed Joe Gibbs advice...or at the very least be influenced heavily by that.

And for the record, i don't really care what the players want....it's not up to them...it's up to the owner, and the players should play for who ever the Coach is...that's what they get paid to do. I don't mind the players voicing their opinion, but they are not the ones running this ship.....and besides that, of course the CURRENT players are going to want to promote from within for their own personal job security.....what i want, is what's BEST FOR THE LONG TERM SUCCESS OF THIS FRANCHISE.....i can't see how anyone can convince me that there is a better candidate out there right now than Bill Cowher. But our fans never cease to amaze me, and can find something to complain about no matter what Snyder does!

While i wouldnt mind Cowher, i have to ask myself, wasnt Joe hired to build the team for the long haul and leave the franchise in better shape and on a definite plan for the future? Blowing everything up doesnt sound right to me. He hired coaches like Al for the future. He knew just like everyone else did that he wasnt going to be here 10 yrs.

I believe the plan Joe had in mind is in place. If anyone is hired other than Williams, then Snyder truly is meddling and God help us. He is impatient, but with a few good/great drafts this team could be great.

Did Cowher really say he would want to bring in a personnel guy with him to a future job?

He never had "full control" in Pitt, they have a VERY good scouting/management team.

As far as Grilliams goes, everyone has said he's weighed in a ton on defensive personnel decisions over the years. He's worked with the Gibbs/Snyder/Cerrato "system" to bring in "his guys". Some good (Fletcher, Griff, Springs, Marcus), some not (Arch, Holdman).

As far as the offense goes, you're right. I have no idea what he thinks of Saunders. He may want more of a "ball-control power" type offense. He may not think Jason is a franchise qb for that matter. No idea.

We know Williams likes the personnel, at least on defense, because he had a pretty big say on who we brought in. So if he were HC and decided to "blow up" the offense, at least we'd know we were solid on one side of the ball while the offense was rebuilt.

Also, he has openly admitted that he learned a TON about being a HC from working with Joe Gibbs, so even if he did want to take things in a different direction, he would have that experience to help guide him in how he goes about it.

Just like it took Wade Phillips years to be good in Dallas after Parcells stepped down???? And i know that they had already run a 3-4 in dallas, but i'm just saying that because a new coach comes in, it doesn't mean that it takes years to change things.

It's funny how everybody forgets that we were 5-7 at one point this year...and without that miraculous run at the end of the year, that NO ONE would have any problem with starting over from scratch. It's funny how a couple games can change everyones opinion......when we weren't winning earlier in the year, people were hoping and praying that Gibbs would quit...even the Fans at Fed Ex were chanting that "Joe Must Go"!! BUT....after winning four games in a row, most everyone has forgotten that stretch, and thinks that we are set up for a SuperBowl run.......i just don't buy it. I still remember the thoughts i had earlier in the year....and last year for that matter.

To me, the most important component in Professional Football is the Head Coach, and his staff.....i would be more than happy to see Bill Cowher and whoever he has coaching and playing for him on that sideline...i root for the team....not the players on the team.

And for the record, i don't really care what the players want....it's not up to them...it's up to the owner, and the players should play for who ever the Coach is...that's what they get paid to do. I don't mind the players voicing their opinion, but they are not the ones running this ship.....and besides that, of course the CURRENT players are going to want to promote from within for their own personal job security.....what i want, is what's BEST FOR THE LONG TERM SUCCESS OF THIS FRANCHISE.....i can't see how anyone can convince me that there is a better candidate out there right now than Bill Cowher. But our fans never cease to amaze me, and can find something to complain about no matter what Snyder does!

Not that I necessarily agree with Bill Cowher being the best canidate, I just want to say that I agree 110% with your sentiments here:

1 - Not caring what the players think; of course they would what to hire up from within ( maybe not a popular opinion but a reasonable one nonetheless)

2 - Wanting what is best for the long term success if this franchise :applause:

3 - Snyder HASN'T done a damn thing yet and everyone is complaining he isn't moving fast enough, yet the same ones would complain he made the decision too fast if he hires before the Conference Championship games! :doh: :doh:

As for who is best. I'm not sure. All I know is that EVERYONE suggested scares me for one reason or another. Cowher, because he may change things up too much to be successful early on, and may feel the heat too quickly to stick around to be successful. GW, maybe a good DC, but his past history as a HC scares me. All I know is I want this team to continue to compete. I don't want to be told," Well, it's the coach's first year" BS!! Injuries, an extremely "green" QB who seems to be getting better, and a few close calls made this team go 9-7 rather than 11-5 or better. So next year, if the new coach brings us a 7-9 or 6-10 record, that will be unacceptable by all accounts! And that's my honest opinion.

People dont want cohwer cuz if he is our coach he is going to change everything. We run a 4-3 he runs a 3-4. Meaning our personnel is going to change. Its going to take us years to be good again/

That doesn't mean he'll change right away. Mike Tomlin kept the 3-4 in Pittsburgh even though he's a 4-3 guy. Maybe they'll transition to it eventually.

On offense they probably wouldn't change at all. Cowher likes to run, which is what the strength of the team is.

Although I agree that the players cannot dictate to the owner who the next coach is, if Snyder has really learned something, it would nice for an employer to listen to his employees every now and then. Williams is not the coach he was when he came here. He's better.

Somebody do a poll. If you bring in Cowher, how many years do you give him if you get him to build a Super Bowl team here. One out of 15, like in Pittsburgh? Or, as is usually the case, you ask for his head after 2 or 3 losing seasons while the team adjusts. And then you spin the wheel and bring in another.

He can go a lot of places. As can Saunders. The Skins and Snyder don't owe them anything, as many have said. But does anyone think these two are bad coaches? Bad enough to throw them out and bring in someone new? Has anyone even asked Cowher if he wants the job?

If you're going to go with a new head coach, bring in Russ Grimm or Mike SIngletary. Or anyone who might actually draft a lineman or two.

That doesn't mean he'll change right away. Mike Tomlin kept the 3-4 in Pittsburgh even though he's a 4-3 guy. Maybe they'll transition to it eventually.

On offense they probably wouldn't change at all. Cowher likes to run, which is what the strength of the team is.

The reason the Steelers stuck with the 3-4 is because they kept Dick LeBeau as there defensive cordinator and he has been there for years, he is one hell of a d-cordinator. So as long as LeBeau is there they will run a 3-4.

Great points. The Steelers have a HoF defensive coach, thier HC doesn't call that side of the ball. Tomlin doesn't have that problem either.

Offense, whoever is in control, is going to have to draft interior linemen.

Archived