Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

About the obvious choice... Gregg Williams

Springfield

We all know that Gregg Williams is the obvious choice for head coach, and I would agree that most of us feel that he would be the right deciscion for the team. I feel that he would be the right deciscion for the team. Say this does come to light and Gregg Williams is promoted to head coach. I have a few questions and opinions to share with all of you.

1) Al Saunders should stay, right? If he does I assume he would gain whole control of the offense and maybe we would actually get the most out of this "700 page" playbook.

2) Would he have a defensive coordinator under him? I would assume not, but not knowing the inner workings of the coaching staff I could not seeing such a defensive guru allowing a lesser coach run things.

3) It occurs to me, after a light amount of research, that Gregg Williams has not had much success as a head coach. According to Wikipedia, he was 17-31 as the Bills head coach, ran an extremely conservative offense and regularly punted in enemy territory. He has the players on his side, but it sounds like, as a head coach, he's just not all that good.

4) Do you think he and Al Saunders could mesh? Remembering the Buffalo game where they had 10 men on D and Gibbs knew nothing about it seems like Gregg possibly might have an issue where Al Saunders would have complete control of the offense(or I guess you could say cohesion issues).

That seems to be all for right now, but with Gregg Williams being the obvious successor to Joe Gibbs 2.0, I have come across a few important questions. Mainly, is he up to it? As a head coach he's not proven, D coordinator is a different story, but head coach may be a tougher hill for Gregg.HTTR.

Archived