Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Today's Press Conference will tell all

Currahee

During Joe Gibbs retirement press conference today at 3pm, if GW or AS are not introduced at HC at some point, then don't expect it to be either of them.

If it is already in place, then it will happen today or be mentioned today. If not, then look for Dan to go 'outside' the organization for a new HC.

We will all know more late this afternoon.

Not necessarily ... this presser could be setup to just be about Gibbs and the announcement to the community. I think that the club would still have to interview minority candidates even if GW or AS is slated for the job (can someone confirm this?) I don't think it would be fair to the new HC (even if one has been determined) to have their parade rained on with the sad news that Gibbs is retiring. I think that you keep these as two separate events.

During Joe Gibbs retirement press conference today at 3pm, if GW or AS are not introduced at HC at some point, then don't expect it to be either of them.

If it is already in place, then it will happen today or be mentioned today. If not, then look for Dan to go 'outside' the organization for a new HC.

We will all know more late this afternoon.

I think you have forgotten about the "Rooney Rule".

Not sure they could do that without interviewing a minority candidate???

I believe the Rooney rule only applies when coaching candidates are NOT promoted from within. If they are promoted from within no interviewing of minority candidates in necessary.

http://www.aaregistry.com/african_american_history/2269/NFL_levies_fine_over_Rooney_Rule

The NFL had been trying for years to increase minority presence at its highest levels and intensified its attack on the problem after advocates announced last year they might sue if the NFL didn't hire more black coaches. League owners agreed in principle in December that any team seeking to hire a head coach would interview at least one minority candidate. The exception would be when a team makes a commitment to promote one of its assistants.

I believe the Rooney rule only applies when coaching candidates are NOT promoted from within. If they are promoted from within no interviewing of minority candidates in necessary.

http://www.aaregistry.com/african_american_history/2269/NFL_levies_fine_over_Rooney_Rule

The NFL had been trying for years to increase minority presence at its highest levels and intensified its attack on the problem after advocates announced last year they might sue if the NFL didn't hire more black coaches. League owners agreed in principle in December that any team seeking to hire a head coach would interview at least one minority candidate. The exception would be when a team makes a commitment to promote one of its assistants.

That is what I was wondering, I thought that might be the case. Thanks!

This thread is a train wreck. Not only would they have to interview a minority candidate, but even if GW were promoted, we'd have to work out a new contract with him, which could take some time. So either way, I don't expect an announcement today.

It might be less of a train wreck if you read Isifhan's post where it clearly states THAT THE ROONEY RULE DOES NOT APPLY IF YOU PROMOTE AN ASSISTANT COACH FROM WITHIN.

I don't expect an announcement today either, but I don't see any reason to criticize this thread.

Announcing a new HC from within today or tomorrow would squash all the rumors from circulating like they have already begun to.

This would be nice:

3:00 - Joe Gibbs farewell press conference

4:00 - Williams as the new HC press conference

That would be great.. maybe in a perfect world.

It would be irresponsible for Snyder not to interview outside candidates for the position. With Gibbs retiring he has to look at all available options and then choose what to do next. The job isn't going to just be handed to Williams.

edit: I'm all for Williams being the next Coach btw... I believe he has the respect of the team on both sides of the ball

It would be irresponsible for Snyder not to interview outside candidates for the position. With Gibbs retiring he has to look at all available options and then choose what to do next. The job isn't going to just be handed to Williams.

edit: I'm all for Williams being the next Coach btw... I believe he has the respect of the team on both sides of the ball

Gibbs said he was gonna tallk to the Danny last night about where to go in the future. Maybe they already worked everything out. It is being reported that Gibbs will stay on as Danny's special advisor.

Who knows right. Hope that by 5 pm we have some good answers

It might be less of a train wreck if you read Isifhan's post where it clearly states THAT THE ROONEY RULE DOES NOT APPLY IF YOU PROMOTE AN ASSISTANT COACH FROM WITHIN.

I don't expect an announcement today either, but I don't see any reason to criticize this thread.

I overlooked Isifhan's post. But the point remains, even if we were to promote Williams, it would likely take some time for a contract and other details to be worked out. So to say that "Today's press conference will tell all," and if Williams isn't appointed at THIS press conference, then it means we're clearly going in a different direction, is foolish.

It's that kind of reactionary nonsense that overwhelms this board at times.

I certainly don't have any inside knowledge, but my prediction is that GW ultimately gets the job, but NOT at today's presser. Today's presser is about Gibbs. Period.

Archived