Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cerrato on ESPN Radio.

Art

Talking about our signings said that the team wanted Douglas, but he's in a different price range, and because of that, they knew Upshaw and Noble were the right choices along the line. Actual restraint being shown?

TEG...I was thinking along the same lines earlier this morning. losing Davis doesn't hurt....but losing DG could really affect the quality of defense we watch next year...have to see how the draft goes. if we draft wr...be prepared for mediocre defense...as it stands now....on the line...we have many decent players...but not one quality standout who opposing offenses have to account for......

Originally posted by The Evil Genius

What isnt being said is that the Skins more or less signed 8 guys and traded for 1 other with the $'s they saved on not resigning Gardener and cutting Davis.

So thats a 5 starter for 2 swap.

Yea, but you could look at that the other way, you let 2 proven pro-bowl talent's leave & signed.

1. Dave Fiore- often injured which is why the 9ers let him go.

2. Upshaw- Often injured, inconsistent DE

3. Noble- Good Nosetackle, cant rush the passer

4. Thomas- Road grader who's now being paid 28M over 7 years

5. Candidate- inconsistent, average 36 carries a season to Davis 300

I like the moves you made but dont go mad over them, there not going to dominate

Blazers, you wrote, "I like the moves you made but dont go mad over them, there not going to dominate."

You may be right, though the team probably does expect Thomas to dominate a little :). Still, these players aren't here to dominate. Champ and Lavar and Trotter and Samuels and Jansen and perhaps Ramsey and Gardner are here to dominate. These guys are more pieces of the puzzle. It lifts the level of the players below those guys who can and will dominate. It gives us more depth and quality.

Losing Davis is what it is. It's hard to point to our season and see how he was a factor last year, so, it's less of a worry than losing Gardener. The Redskins are trying to lengthen the quality here and they do appear to be doing a little of that.

Also, I'm not sure Fiore is "often" injured. He got hurt last year. Before then he missed one start in three years. I think once he got into the lineup he was pretty consistent.

My impression of Fiore is much better than some posters are giving him credit for. I remember watching a Niners game two years ago where he played hurt -- hand all taped up -- and was totally consistent. Knee injuries can be a problem, but I doubt Fiore, who is average but consistent, will be a step down from last year, where it would probably have been better to have no one than to have Loverne.

Originally posted by fansince62

TEG...I was thinking along the same lines earlier this morning. losing Davis doesn't hurt....but losing DG could really affect the quality of defense we watch next year...have to see how the draft goes. if we draft wr...be prepared for mediocre defense...as it stands now....on the line...we have many decent players...but not one quality standout who opposing offenses have to account for......

I have to disagree. We still have Lavar and Champ, who are two players that must always be accounted for by the opposing team, particularly Lavar.

Gardner was a luxury because he could make plays on his own, without solid play from other players. That level of talent will be missed. But this defense doesn't really need a playmaker at DT. It just needs someone to play disciplined and to occupy blockers at the point of attack to allow guys like Lavar to fly around.

We'll miss Gardner's talent. As it's turning out, however, he's a luxury we can't afford, particularly in light of the other needs we needed to direct precious cap dollars toward.

Archived