Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maybe Gibbs was waving goodbye / post week 17 victory

ghost exits

I remember pausing after I read the following paragraph of Thomas Boswell's column on December 31, about Gibbs after the Redskins' victory over Dallas:

"Gibbs turned slowly to all four FedEx corners, giving a double thumbs-up to the crowd. That wasn't enough. Next, he pointed both index fingers in No. 1s. Finally, he just waved to the throng as if he wished he could hug them all. Even then Gibbs could not bring himself to leave. Twice more this 67-year-old Hall of Famer, on one of his best but most unexpected days, did the slow pirouette again -- two thumbs up, two No. 1s and finally those warm waves of affection."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/30/AR2007123002986.html

It had hit me then, and is maybe becoming clearer now. Gibbs was showing his appreciation to the fans... one last time... And if it does turn out that he's not coming back as head coach next year (as some are now speculating after his most recent press conference), then perhaps he had made his decision not to do so before the week 17 game. Just a thought.

Also, remember how Gibbs was peculiarly emotional during some post game press conferences, once pausing after talking about the double timeout gaffe and how that brought some real priorities to light. "...this is what God wants, not what I want", he said once, along with a lot of other interesting quotes. (a lot of them which are part of the WP article at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/04/AR2008010404205_pf.html )

Again, all just a thought, that I thought might be interesting to share.

yeah, I actually want Gibbs to walk away. If he doesn't have it in him he def. deserves the break. The man was amazing and is the best thing that ever happened to the Redskins. If he leaves God Bless him...if he stays, we can look forward to more giggling at press conferences lol. can't wait to hear the decision.

Also, remember how Gibbs was peculiarly emotional during some post game press conferences, once pausing after talking about the double timeout gaffe and how that brought some real priorities to light. "...this is what God wants, not what I want", he said once, along with a lot of other interesting quotes. (a lot of them which are part of the WP article at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/04/AR2008010404205_pf.html )

Again, all just a thought, that I thought might be interesting to share.

I heard that quote about "real priorities" directly on 980. But it didn't occur to me until you pointed this quote out just now that perhaps he was referring to serving God as the real priority.

I wonder how the conversation with Dan went last night?

EDIT: My gut feeling is he's gone.

I heard that quote about "real priorities" directly on 980. But it didn't occur to me until you pointed this quote out just now that perhaps he was referring to serving God as the real priority.

I wonder how the conversation with Dan went last night?

EDIT: My gut feeling is he's gone.

My take on the "this is what God wants comment" is that it is his way of saying, this is not about his ego.

i.e., he wants to be a head coach, but that is perhaps not what God wants...

Regardless, eventhough I'm not very religious, I am praying that Gibbs is returning as head coach.

Archived