Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Today we smile. But the future is bright.

Art

Presently, here are our starting lineups as we project them to be:

QB: Ramsey

RB: Canidate

FB: Rock

TE: Flem -- Royal can get in too.

WR: Gardner

WR: McCants

LT: Samuels

RT: Jansen

RG: Thomas

LG: Fiore

C: Moore

DE: Upshaw

DT: Noble

DT: Wilkinson

DE: Wynn

LB: Arrington

LB: Trotter

LB: Armstead

CB: Smoot

CB: Bailey

S: Terrell

S: Ohalete

Of this group, it's likely to me that Terrell will be replaced by Lott, or a new player in the draft or FA. Wilkinson is probably not going to be around, but, let's not get ahead of ourselves. McCants will likely be bumped down a level or two, but even going with this, what's our future look like?

Presently, of this list of 22 players, only Bailey and Terrell are players who are not under contract and we lack control over their movement. McCants and Ohalete will be restricted by tender offers. This is a very good sign for the future. Next offseason should be much more quiet if Champ can be resigned. If not, he's certainly going to be the franchise player, so, we do restrict him in some way as well.

By the end of this offseason it won't surprise me if we have all 22 starters on this years roster under contract for 2004. All signs you need of the front office understanding the weakness it's had with impatience just need to point to that, when it occurs, as a sign that things are most certainly looking good. You can see this team being built, really, for the first time and that's a credit to the fact that we have the same coaching staff in place for two years. :).

I suspect Wilky will be replaced by a rookie DT in the first this draft, and we will sign a safety to man Terrell's spot. That really just leaves us with Bailey as it for the next two years to worry about. That's good :).

Art, I think drafting a DT in the first is an option, but I wouldn't call it likely. I think it's the Redskins fall-back plan.

I expect a big push to move up in the draft to obtain Charlie Rogers or Andre Johnson. I think that's their first choice. If, somehow they maneuvered up and somehow Rogers and Johnson are both gone, I think they would be pleased to take Terrell Suggs or Jimmy Kennedy.

But they have the option of holding on to Dan Wilkenson. If they end up with a DT in the first round, I think they'll let Big Daddy go after June 1. But if they get what they really want, I think they'll renegotiate and retain Wilkenson.

I'm okay with either option, but I seriously doubt the Skins greatest wish is for a DT in the first round.

Stability is the key, its something this organization has lacked in recent years. Spurrier and the Front office has a plan and are implementing it and for this season and beyond, the key is going to be the execution of it by being patient with Ramsey, getting younger as a football team and fortifying the teams weaknesses, which is currently taking place.

Originally posted by SkinsThug

The future does look bright, but I am still worried about our D line. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us somehow deal our way into drafting one of the top two DT in this draft.

I think it'll be WR, but we can always hope.

There you go. Nothing wrong with guarded optimism.

I'd rather see them sit tight and take best DT. Most bang for the buck.

i am decidedly against trading smoot to get johnson or rodgers. if we did trade smoot, only suggs would make the move palatable for me, as an increased pass rush will minimize the loss of smoot.

now some may argue that dgreen didn't have a "star" opposite him, but he did have a pass rush and he also had a genius at dc in pettibone. if we trade smoot and do not increase our pass rush, the skins made a big boo boo.

Archived