Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sadly TC played like JC.

FanSinceSonnyJ

I guess we have yet to see if Campbell can produce, even in perfect scenarios. Collins certainly proved he can, with far less starts.

BS. I guess some people forget that Jason was named offensive player of the week at one point this season.

Todd Collins wishes he had Jason's mobility and arm strength, the only thing Todd had over Jason was his many, many, many years of knowledge of Saunders system...but now he has been exposed by the Seahawk defense, Todd is a Zombie in the pocket, any pressure and he folds (reminds me of Drew Bledsoe)...i am very proud of Todd and what he helped the Redskins accomplish this season but don't kid yourselves...he is a good quality back up but Jason is a better starter, has more upside, better arm strength, mobility, and is a real franchise QB

Todd Collins wishes he had Jason's mobility and arm strength, the only thing Todd had over Jason was his many, many, many years of knowledge of Saunders system...but now he has been exposed by the Seahawk defense, Todd is a Zombie in the pocket, any pressure and he folds (reminds me of Drew Bledsoe)...i am very proud of Todd and what he helped the Redskins accomplish this season but don't kid yourselves...he is a good quality back up but Jason is a better starter, has more upside, better arm strength, mobility, and is a real franchise QB

And despite all the great talent that JC supposedly has, he lost 4 straight games and plenty of interceptions. 5-7 record. Rest assured he will not be coddled next season.

Well no **** sherlock. Generally speaking, that's what happens. Young QBs experience growing pains and learn from it.....shocker, I know. You realize he still only has 20 starts.

One thing we know for certain, though, while Todd is a very smart QB who makes quick and excellent decisions, he is a limited QB as well. He can't move and he can't put heat on the ball. In the long run, that catches up with you sooner or later, especially given he's 36 years old. Give Jason time, he played quite admirably this year for a first year starter, showed maturity beyond his years, showed moxy and toughness and flashes of brilliance. If the game just slows down another half step for him and he can start hitting guys in stride better, the sky's the limit. Be patient. Todd's not the answer, long or short term.

Also, Todd only finally got a taste in the playoffs of the lack of help Jason had to deal with most of the season. Protection break downs, dropped passes guys quitting on routes.....Jason had to deal with that regularly. it's understandable, though. We were the only team with 5 starters on IR to make the playoffs and the only team with two starting OLmen on IR. It catches up sooner or later and it did in a big way in Seattle.

Perhaps we can ask opposing teams to slow down their game so that JC is given ample time to digest what he's seeing out there in hopes that it will help him win ball games. :laugh:

How long did you people expect TC's sailing passes to remain effective?

Sailing or not, he played a lot better than JC, even with 2 INT's. Santana gave up on a route, you don't so that in the NFL--infact that's idiotic for a multi-million dollar athlete to do that...it's bush league. Droped passes all day, had nothing to do with TC throws...

Solid post. I agree. I got the feeling JC grew complacent over the weeks he started this season, sort of if he though he believed he was annoited to be the starter. Didn't see the drive in him to get better.

He best step up his game next season as the coaching staff will not be nearly as patient and the excuse of saying he's young and green will not be applicable.

JC grew "complacent"? "Didn't see the drive in him to get better"?

First how could YOU see the drive in him to get better? Are you out at practice or in the meeting rooms with the team? How can you question his work ethic, when all reports all off-season and into the season about JC were that he was the first person at the facility and the last person to leave always, he was beating the coaches there.

Why is it the line's fault, Al Saunders fault, or anybody else's fault when TC has a bad game but when JC went through the 4 game losing streak it was all his fault? What we saw on Sat with TC is the same thing that happened to JC all season long. The playmakers around him were not playing up to their capabilities...They dropped balls, missed blocks/blew assignments like they've done all season...The problem wasn't the QB play on Sat and it wasn't the problem all season long w/JC at the helm...The problem with this team is that our supposed playmakers aren't consistant to say the least and possibly they may not really be that good...

And despite all the great talent that JC supposedly has, he lost 4 straight games and plenty of interceptions. 5-7 record. Rest assured he will not be coddled next season.

Well he didn't alone lose 4 straight games...i seem to remember some dropped balls, a horrible OLine, and some piss poor play calling...and i already know what you are going to say TC had to deal with the same things...ya and we saw how he responded to a good Defense...like a Zombie...sorry to bust your bubble but Jason is the starter...TC is a good backup but that is all he is...and no one is saying JC will be coddled, i hope he isn't...he has to push himself and work very hard especially at the position he is playing.

The F.O. let Dockery go which was a good decision. Linemen in this world do not get the same dollars as "skill" players. (I hate that term. youth and size and quickness are not skills that can be taught, but doesn't everyone wish we had had them in abundance when the first string OL went down?)

We have some youth on the DL and they contributed. Golston and Montgomery came a long way. But like it or not our Front Office likes the big splash on Draft Day, and drafting an offensive linemen is not splashy. This cuts to the question of best athlete vs. need. We got the best athlete in Landry last year, and without a doubt, he made a big contribution. Are we going to do that again this year? The best athlete is seldom an offensive lineman. But whether JC or TC or MB or Brady or Montana or Sonny or Joe, if you spend your Sunday afternoon looking at the sky with a 300 pound defensive linemen laying on you, you're not going to have a good day. Whether you're Portis or Betts or Sellers or Riggo, or Byner, or Emmitt or Walter, if there's no holes, you look pretty average as a running back.

Think back on the season. How many times did we get inside the 5 and couldn't score? Way too many. It cost us the first Giants game. That one game made us go to Seattle instead of Tampa Bay. Our first string is showing their age not only with injuries but with that 'step' or two that equates to mediocrity. It's time to bring in those "non-skill" players with things you can't teach, like youth and size and quickness. Samuels was the last first round pick we had on the OL back in 1999. It's time to build the foundation with OL and stop with this "best athlete" garbage.

Make a splash next year after you have the foundation. Draft some OL.

Heartbreaker yesterday. It was a special season that hit all our emotions - highs and lows.

Let's rejoice in the fact that we even made the playoffs! Coming off 4 straight losses and a 5-7 record where JC showed some "flashes" but couldn't seem to put games away, it was refreshing watching TC lead the team to 4 straight wins with virtually flawless play.

Sadly, yesterday his carriage turned into a pumpkin. Sure also had "flashes", but the bottom line he also couldn't deliver when the chips were down. Biggest reason? Our OL got flat out whipped and AS was too slow to make adjustments. We looked inept offensively, yet again. Perhaps we got a little too full of ourselves after beating an uninspired Cowboy team.

Bottom line, TC looked like JC - costly turnovers prove this point.

Read another post how JC would have been better for this game. Sorry, don't think Tom Brady himself could have survived the horrible OL play.

TC did show us something during our 4 game run, which is what JC best do next season. TC reads the field quicker and has better timing than JC.

Look for Gibbs or whoever is coaching to give JC a quick hook next season should he continue looking quite average. TC should be signed for another year or two, he'll come much cheaper to resign after yesterday's game. We should keep our options open at the QB position.

Let's hope JC surprises many of us and comes through, otherwise we've wasted a lot of time.

TC played like JC because the offensive line SUCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'd have played like that too.

What a stupid post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well he didn't alone lose 4 straight games...i seem to remember some dropped balls, a horrible OLine, and some piss poor play calling...and i already know what you are going to say TC had to deal with the same things...ya and we saw how he responded to a good Defense...like a Zombie...sorry to bust your bubble but Jason is the starter...TC is a good backup but that is all he is...and no one is saying JC will be coddled, i hope he isn't...he has to push himself and work very hard especially at the position he is playing.

Oh that's right, it never ever was JC's fault when he threw an errant pass or overthrew a wide open WR or threw an interception or fumbled the ball away. My bad. I forgot that JC could do no wrong. :laugh:

Basic football 101: Any QB, statue or scrambler, can not escape a pocket collapsing from both sides and a rush up the middle. Besides, you make it sound as if JC is a great scrambler, which he is not.

This cracked me up...because Jason actually is a pretty good QB on the run. Anyone happen to catch what happened when TC tried to run? I think he got about 5 yards and then slid to the ground with no tacklers in sight. Not sure if he fell down or if those 5 yards just really took a lot out of him.

Bottom line is that TC finally had to deal with a situation that Jason faced a lot: a lot of pressure with a mediocre (at best) line. Any QB will have a tough time with that situation. Get Jason some protection, a 3rd receiver who stands over 6' tall, and don't play such a conservative offense and I think some great things are possible from him.

Some QBs will never develop into consistently good players (see Manning, Eli) but he's had a lot more time. I don't think we should close the book on Jason yet. He still hasn't had a full year as a starter.

Oh that's right, it never ever was JC's fault when he threw an errant pass or overthrew a wide open WR or threw an interception or fumbled the ball away. My bad. I forgot that JC could do no wrong. :laugh:

I also just have to ask...why do you seem to dislike Jason Campbell so much? Did he steal your lunch money?

No one is saying he played perfectly all year or that he's the best QB ever. But I do think he's got talent. And I really think that you are failing to recognize that the team has a lot of holes in other places: o-line, receivers who drop a lot of passes, a tough time establishing the running game for most of the season, etc.

But I guess it's just easier to pick on a QB who hasn't even had an entire season to show us what he's got.

Adjustments should have come one quarter sooner, we should have gone to no huddle from near the beginning and our line has to be healthy and Heyer now HAS the experience.

Amen to that regardless to whomever the QB may be next season.

I think we need to go with Jason for at least half the year come what may, with an open offense, and aggressive brand of playcalling. Then make a decision between the two guys. Todd is old but not the same way another guy who has been playing for 12 years, and getting hit every week is old. If it all ends in tears with Jason, Todd can at least hold down the fort till the next "future QB" hits town.

Archived