Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who to watch for next year?...Marcus Mason

NextGENskinsFaN

But he was good enough to make the original 53 man roster. Todd Collins also looked good against a bunch of scrubs! You don't need blazing speed to be an effective running back in the league.

He was cut. No you don't need blazing speed, IF you can break tackles, which Mason can't.

He was cut. No you don't need blazing speed, IF you can break tackles, which Mason can't.

Wrong! He made the original roster, only to be cut when Rick DeMulling was signed after Randy Thomas got injured. A lot of running backs in the league can't break tackles and the Redskins have a few on the team.

I just made a comment about getting rid of Betts and picking up a more formidable 1-2 punch to our ground game. I forgot about Marcus. I was excited about him being signed to the 53 man roster until he got cut. We could have used him on returns and as a change of pace in a few games. I look forward to seeing him compete for a spot in 08

If Mason was that good, he wouldn't have been on the practice squad the entire season. There's been a few teams with runningback troubles and they don't even give him a look? If he works out, I'd be very surprised. Happy, but surprised.

I'm still not sold on Mason yet. I mean, I'm always in for developing young talent. There in lies the point. He has talent, no doubt about that. But is he good enough right now, to take the job from those ahead of him? If the was, he probably would have found a way onto the field. Right now, he's on the practice squad. Been there most of the year. If he was in fact that good, he probably would have been snagged by now. Mind you, all that is said with the thought that things stay the way they are,(and as we know, that's only a possibility).

Dude Ryan Grant from the Packers was on the Giants practice squad. Some guys are good on practice squads, they just need to be given a chance. Sometimes they don't make teams because of numbers and vet loyalty.

Mason is probably more viewed as a third down back anyway in this league. Much like Westbrook was intially when he came in the league with Philly. You know, too small to take the pounding. Same thing with Dunn. It's common with smaller backs.

Archived