Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The TC vs. JC debate and it's wider connotations

TSO

"Are you referring to the Detroit game? Not to be nitpicky...but in that game the Skins had 366 yards and 34 points (7 of which were scored on an INT return). Against the Vikings, the Skins had 367 yards and 32 points (2 scored on a safety). And the Vikings game was played on a MUCH bigger stage, with bigger game implications, and on the road against arguably a better team. I would say the Vikings game was their best performance."

the passing game was much better in the Lions game. cmon now.

This, again, comes down to potential. He CAN do it, but will he? Will his mechanics, quickness, and decision-making capabilities allow it? This is the end of his 3rd year as a full-time NFL employee. It should have clicked by now. If it doesn't soon, it may never.

Again, I am not saying Collins is the answer long term. But he is now.

There's no doubt that the jury is still out on Campbell, but he has shown enough for me to be able to continue his development here. At this point I would say Campbell is one of the better young QBs in the league. You look at guys like Alex Smith, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, and I would say Campbell compares very favorably. Jay Cutler may be further along, but I think Campbell isn't too far behind.

The point IS NOT whether Campbell will ever do it or not. No one knows the answer to that, and to try to make a decision to move on from Campbell guessing on that answer when that decesion does not even have to be made right now is lunacy. The point IS that quality QBs don't grow on trees and that Campbell has shown enough production that he has the potential to develop into a quality QB that he should be allowed to continue to develop at least until decision must be made on him from a contract perspective.

Further, the question is not whether it's Campbell or Collins long-term. Collins and/or Saunders (probably the only OC with whom Collins' has any value) simply won't be here that long. The question is whether you want develop Campbell or essentially jettison him and try another young QB. I think it's clear you have to try and develop him lest you end up with an Alex Smith, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Philip Rivers, or Eli Manning with your high first round pick you use on the QB lottery again.

Further, the question is not whether it's Campbell or Collins long-term. Collins and/or Saunders (probably the only OC with whom Collins' has any value) simply won't be here that long. The question is whether you want develop Campbell or essentially jettison him and try another young QB. I think it's clear you have to try and develop him lest you end up with an Alex Smith, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Philip Rivers, or Eli Manning with your high first round pick you use on the QB lottery again.

well...at least someone has his thinking cap on!!!

sorry.....but this is laughable. TC will never, ever take this team to a SB and he will never win one.

No, I don't think TC will win a Super Bowl. I can admit it. But I'll tell you...I've enjoyed watching him win games more than I enjoyed watching JC's potential. Vinny freakin' Cerrato could line up behind center and I'll love watching as long as the team wins. I am a Redskins fan. Not a fan of one individual player.

the passing game was much better in the Lions game. cmon now.

No, not really. Turning in a performance against a team that can actually rush the passer ON THE ROAD in a dome that is damn near statistically identical is not 'much better.' Equal, even, maybe but not better.

The question is whether you want develop Campbell or essentially jettison him and try another young QB. I think it's clear you have to try and develop him lest you end up with an Alex Smith, Matt Leinart, Vince Young, Philip Rivers, or Eli Manning with your high first round pick you use on the QB lottery again.

That's a fine post.

I don't mind continuing to try to develop campbell and go back to a 1980s style approach to quarterbacks BUT that does NOT mean necessarily turning in mediocre team performances when the overall talent and coaching level is enough to at least make significant playoff noise. You allow a young guy to go through his ups and downs when the whole team has to go through its own growth pains. This team has gotten younger but not young enough to justify waiting around for someone to MAYBE pan out.

So, if Campbell IS ready next season--great. If not, keep Collins for as long as it takes and pick another developmental guy who may never see the field until he's like 30 years old but COULD be another superb backup/interim starter in the making.

But I think Campbell compares favorably to some of those QBs. However, when i review the draft lists about 10 years back, there are a number of guys who were 'good enough' to have careers of many years(Kitna) but not good enough to lift a team from MAYBE occasionally contending to winning championships and consistently competing.

That's a fine post.

I don't mind continuing to try to develop campbell and go back to a 1980s style approach to quarterbacks BUT that does NOT mean necessarily turning in mediocre team performances when the overall talent and coaching level is enough to at least make significant playoff noise. You allow a young guy to go through his ups and downs when the whole team has to go through its own growth pains. This team has gotten younger but not young enough to justify waiting around for someone to MAYBE pan out.

So, if Campbell IS ready next season--great. If not, keep Collins for as long as it takes and pick another developmental guy who may never see the field until he's like 30 years old but COULD be another superb backup/interim starter in the making.

But I think Campbell compares favorably to some of those QBs. However, when i review the draft lists about 10 years back, there are a number of guys who were 'good enough' to have careers of many years(Kitna) but not good enough to lift a team from MAYBE occasionally contending to winning championships and consistently competing.

I couldn't have put it any better. Thanks. :applause:

Not sure what stats you are using...

Lions game: J. Campbell 23/29 248 2 0

Vikings game: T. Collins 22/29 254 2 0

What I saw with my eyes. It was a dominant game. The Vikes game was still at issue well into the second half and could have gome awry very quickly were it not for a flaky 12 man call! The one sealed the game very early with his passing. The other relied on the defense to set up opportunities and referee calls to undo horrible mistakes. no one may like the idea....but that's what happened...the defense staked the team to the 9-0 lead taht ste the whole tone for the game against a running team.

What I saw with my eyes. It was a dominant game. The Vikes game was still at issue well into the second half and could have gome awry very quickly were it not for a flaky 12 man call! The one sealed the game very early with his passing. The other relied on the defense to set up opportunities and referee calls to undo horrible mistakes. no one may like the idea....but that's what happened...the defense staked the team to the 9-0 lead taht ste the whole tone for the game against a running team.

Ok, they had a dominant game at home over a team that lost it's next 6 or 7 games. Hardly something to stake a future on. But whatever...I guess one great game excuses the bad ones he had, huh? That 5-7 looked a lot better because of the great passing game over the Lions? The 3-0 under Collins sucks because the defense has been helping?

As I stated before, I don't care WHO is QB as long as they win. Apparently you cannot say the same.

I love how people set a table with assumption (and you know what assumptions do to u&me...)

...if Jason doesn't start asap it will retard his development. (no it won't)

...Todd can't take us to the Superbowl (you don't know...and still doesn't mean its not our best shot)

Well Joe Gibbs doesn't believe that. And Todd is going to continue to play. Bravo!

I don't think anyone truly thinks that Collins is the future. But there is no proof that Campbell is either. The only thing he has going for him is potential. The NFL Scrap Heap is full of players that never hit their potential. Saying that he is definitely the future of this team is no more correct at this point than saying Collins is.

he's the future for the next 2 years! the team simply cannot afford to start rebuliding around yet another QB.

I love how people set a table with assumption (and you know what assumptions do to u&me...)

...if Jason doesn't start asap it will retard his development. (no it won't)

...Todd can't take us to the Superbowl (you don't know...and still doesn't mean its not our best shot)

Well Joe Gibbs doesn't believe that. And Todd is going to continue to play. Bravo!

ahemmm..then throw out all expressions of faith/belief...cuz you don't know either!

Ok, they had a dominant game at home over a team that lost it's next 6 or 7 games. Hardly something to stake a future on. But whatever...I guess one great game excuses the bad ones he had, huh? That 5-7 looked a lot better because of the great passing game over the Lions? The 3-0 under Collins sucks because the defense has been helping?

As I stated before, I don't care WHO is QB as long as they win. Apparently you cannot say the same.

no...they beat a team that was on a roll until the Skins started their skid. but I like your thought process cuz I feel the same about the Bears, Gints and Vikes!

Apparently I think further ahead than next Sunday.....Janice.

Archived