Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tommy Kelly: FA DT

method man

Let me introduce you to the sleeper underrated DT FA of 2008. His name is Tommy Kelly.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7046/career

He is a big DT from Mississippi State who plays for the Raiders. As you can see, he averaged 4 sacks a season from 04-06. He is a young player who many feel can become a Pro Bowler, including vets like Ed Jasper and Warren Sapp.

The knock on him is that some feel he is the reason for the Raiders' run defense woes. However, most feel that is because the Raiders miscast him as a NT, which he just isn't at 6-6 300 pounds. He has had success playing next to bigger guys like Terdell Sands. Here we have Montgomery and Golston so he is in a position to make an impact as a UT. My gut feeling is that you can snag him with the standard 6-year 30 mil contract with 10 mil SB that we dole out to FAs.

Once Blatche works with his technique like he did back with Griff in 2004, we could have a beast on our hands.

I actually feel that he'd be better cast as a left end to replace Daniels. He's got the strength and speed to be effective there.

Well, that is what he played early on in his career and he was okay at it, but he really excels at that UT position. Remember that is harder to generate interior pressure so if you can put him at DT, you do it. I really like Kelly playing in a rotation here so I am hoping we draft someone else as well at DT like an Andre Fluellen in the 3rd round. I feel this team should try to follow what the Packers did with their DL. Look how deep it is.

Furthermore, I want a guy who can get 8 or 9 sacks a season playing LE. I know you need a big guy there to anchor against the run, but I'm not sure you necessarily need a guy who is 290. I think we should focus on drafting that guy.

forget it. look to the draft.

That is just a moronic response. So you wouldn't have wanted Griffin all these years? Washington? Springs? Fletcher?

You should look to the draft to solve your team's problems, but FA remains another place where teams should look as long as they are not overpaying people by a lot.

He's played a bit of DE in his career. I wouldn't mind getting him at all, maybe use him as more of a run stuffing DE and moving him inside on passing downs, with a new pass rusher coming in at DE on those downs.

Depends on the price, naturally.

Sure, he could play some DE, but I'd rather him focus more at UT where he plays best. LE should not just be for runstuffing but also for pressure. If you can get LoJack in round 2 and Fluellen in round 3, then you have a nice DL corps going into next season (assuming Griff is let go):

DT: Monty, Kelly, Golston, Fluellen, Alexander

DE: Carter, Jackson, Wilson, Evans

Sure, he could play some DE, but I'd rather him focus more at UT where he plays best. LE should not just be for runstuffing but also for pressure. If you can get LoJack in round 2 and Fluellen in round 3, then you have a nice DL corps going into next season (assuming Griff is let go):

DT: Monty, Kelly, Golston, Fluellen, Alexander

DE: Carter, Jackson, Wilson, Evans

Jackson, Kelly, Montgomery and Carter is a seriously under sized DL and would get pushed around too much in the run game. And Fluellen is really small for a DT too.

I wouldn't be that upset by going into next year with the players you list on the roster, but I would spend more time with Kelly at DE and Golston at DT.

If Griff is gone, btw, I hope we can trade him rather than cut him. He's still pretty good and should help somebody next year.

Jackson, Kelly, Montgomery and Carter is a seriously under sized DL and would get pushed around too much in the run game. And Fluellen is really small for a DT too.

I wouldn't be that upset by going into next year with the players you list on the roster, but I would spend more time with Kelly at DE and Golston at DT.

If Griff is gone, btw, I hope we can trade him rather than cut him. He's still pretty good and should help somebody next year.

I really wouldn't call it undersized. Monty is a legit NT, Jackson is 270, and Kelly is 300 (which is how much Griff weighs). It is definitely bigger than a lot of other lines around the league like the Colts' line, for example.

I like Fluellen as another pass rushing DT off the bench and Golston as the runstuffer. If this DL needs to stuff the run, you can go with Kelly, Golston, Monty, and Evans. If it needs to rush the passer (especially 3rd and longs), you can go Wilson, Kelly, Fluellen, and Carter.

No one is going to take Griffin with his 8 mil cap figure or whatever it is via trade.

I really wouldn't call it undersized. Monty is a legit NT, Jackson is 270, and Kelly is 300 (which is how much Griff weighs). It is definitely bigger than a lot of other lines around the league like the Colts' line, for example.

I like Fluellen as another pass rushing DT off the bench and Golston as the runstuffer. If this DL needs to stuff the run, you can go with Kelly, Golston, Monty, and Evans. If it needs to rush the passer (especially 3rd and longs), you can go Wilson, Kelly, Fluellen, and Carter.

No one is going to take Griffin with his 8 mil cap figure or whatever it is via trade.

Kelly is a light 300, I would bet his weight is a bit closer to 290, while Griff is about 310. I just don't think Kelly demands double teams inside, while Griffin still does. Jackson I usually see in the 260s. Overall, you're just making our line a bit smaller and it wasn't a line that controls the line fo scrimmage much to begin with. Comparing it to Indy's line is silly. They play a different system which relies more on quickness and they don't see O-lines as big in the AFC as we do in the NFC.

Again, I don't mind the players you have, but I would use Kelly more at DE.

Griffin's cap figure for us is irrelevant if he's traded. His salary is 4.2 mil for next year, which is what a trading team would be on the hook for. That's not bad, and they could of course re-structure to make it lower. If Haynesworth is tagged (I'm almost positive he will be), then Griffin is probably better than any FA DTs out there, so I would think someone would give something up for him.

Archived