Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hey you - Outlook guru - I need your help!

E-Dog Night

Ok, I just got a new job, and I'm trying to set up my Outlook.

I've already added a bunch of people to my contacts list.

I've already emailed a number of people using their full email address.

The box to auto-suggest names once you start typing them in the 'To, CC & Bcc' fields is checked. (Tools>Options>Email Options>Advanced Email Options).

Even so, I receive no suggestions when I start typing names into the fields. Nada, zip nunca.

No one in the office has seen this happen before, not even the person "who knows everything about Outlook".

Any suggestions? I'm not the fastest typist in the world and I really need this feature.

Thanks!

Outlook does not use your Contacts list for this.

The names that appear as a drop-down as auto suggestions are those you have already sent or replied to, not the entire Outlook Address book, Outlook has a cache, I think stored as a .NK2 file? You might be able to move this cache over from your old PC.

Other than that, I don't know.

First you should make sure you're only using one contact list for your Outlook account. Actually about 10 minutes ago I just realized I had two contact lists--your default contact list may be empty thus Outlook won't recognize names put into the other list.

If that doesn't work, try reinstalling Outlook, or upgrading if possible. Try to start from scratch with a new pst file (Outlook data store).

Finally, if you are using an Exchange server, there may be an issue between your Outlook installation and Exchange's GAL (global address lists), so you might have to contact the Exchange admin. Even then, I think user contact lists override active directory's GAL suggestions, but I could be wrong.

you can hit alt-k after typing a few letters of a name and it will complete it based on your contacts. Once you send them emails or receive from them, they will get stored in a cache and suggestions will populate without alt-k.

That did the trick. Good old alt-k...so obvious...to nobody.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it!

Archived