Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does JC get "mentally lazy"?

FanSinceSonnyJ

Personally, I think he's been good with what he's been given. Its hard to build confidence when your coaches obviously don't believe completely in you. I agree with Art. When TC came in the game there were really no check downs. The only one really was the pass the Ladell out of the backfield that was more designed than a check down. I don't blame it on the drops like most do but it certainly doesn't help the confidence level. To answer the question really, no, I don't think he's mentally lazy I think they've made him into a robot who only knows how to check down or hand off. They haven't taught him how to win games, just how to lose them.

absolutely not. He works his rear end off.

I think people are forgetting that he was at Redskins Park before any other player last season studying and practicing and making himself better, it's shown through his play this year IMO, especially considering the scheme/playcalling and a decimated right side of the OL.:2cents:

Kinda funny.

Jason's face is expressionless. Early on, that was read as the look of one who was showing "poise in the pocket," now, to some, it's a "deer in the headlights" look.:D

Anyway, there's plenty to see that we can analyze without getting into such vague ideas as "mental laziness" -- which I guess is akin to lack of concentration, but I'm not sure.

I think people are forgetting that he was at Redskins Park before any other player last season studying and practicing and making himself better, it's shown through his play this year IMO, especially considering the scheme/playcalling and a decimated right side of the OL.:2cents:

Oh brother. While taking the time to "study film and practice hard" is great, it's what he does with all that studying and practicing on game day that matters. I could care less that he studies film and practices hard if the end result is losses and mental lapses week end and week out.

I believe Cowboy fans use to praise Quincy Carter for studying film and practicing hard. Look where that got him.

JC is the last person I would call mentally lazy. I think what's happening is the exact opposite, at least on the pass plays. Seems to me that he is over thinking the plays. Maybe he's not comfortable with Saunders offense yet. To me that's a bigger problem than being mentally lazy. Could be what's causing him to hold the ball too long.

agreed. Campbell was at Redskins park before anyone working on his skills, watching film and trying to better himself. And it has def. shown from last year to this year. He is getting etter.

So what you are saying is that if I spent all my waking hours working on my skills and watching film I could be a good QB? I doubt it. I ain't good enough. It takes more than just the will to succeed. It certainly helps, but it will only take you so far.

I think people are forgetting that he was at Redskins Park before any other player last season studying and practicing and making himself better

I really, really, really, really hope that is not true.

Beause if it is true that he worked harder than any NFL player ever in the off-season, then we are in deep crap because the guy did not appreciably improve or get better. Nothing in his play this season at any time indicates that the work payed off. I really, really, really hope that it is not true he worked that hard because it means he can't get better--if he could, then he would certainly have improved dramatically (which he has not).

Either he can't improve and doesn't take coaching well or we were lied to about how hard he worked.

The results have been massively disappointing and he has not noticably improved from last season.

I hope the "he worked the harderst ever" thing is a lie because it is damning to JC if it true.

Coach Gibbs, when gushing over Collins' performance last week stated that he does not get "mentally lazy".

:doh:

If you had actually been paying attention to what JG really said then this thread wouldn't even exsist.

JG said unlike the OTHER BACKUP QB's in the league who become lazy - TC is very active during practices and for example be pointing out incorrect formation and etc. to the players.

He was not saying or even trying to imply that JC is not as "sharp" as TC.

Interesting report. Thanks for posting it. It seems like our man still has a ways to go.

I don't think he has a ways to go...personally from what i have seen he has to work on a couple things...his management at end of games, and holding on to the ball...besides that i think he is well on his way...I just wish Saunders would have let Jason open up the offense more with Jason...when he ran the no huddle Jason was great, but when they pulled back the reigns in the red zone or at end of games they basically held Jason back...seriously look at the Bills game...we needed a 1st down to win the game and we run it 3 times in a row and punt...what kinda **** is that?

Coach Gibbs, when gushing over Collins' performance last week stated that he does not get "mentally lazy". I agree. Collins looked great but it was only one game. Getting tired of hearing how Saunders is more comfortable with Collins and therefore opened up the playcalling when he came in. Hate to think he has been sandbagging only to accomodate JC!

Anyway, Gibbs' comments begs to ask the question: does JC get mentally lazy? Could this be one of the reasons why we have seen 2nd half meltdowns virtually all season long?

JC is a raw talent who has been developing slowly. However, he has yet to show he can deliver when the chips are down. Be interesting to see how Collins' fares the rest of the way. Perhaps, somehow, some way, we can limp into the playoffs. Costly QB turnovers won't cut it.

Hopefully JC will observe and learn while Collins succesfully directs the offense for an entire sixty minutes. Perhaps looking over his shoulder is all the motivation JC needs to pick up his game.

Totally reading into it. I'd bet he's referring to TC staying mentally prepared to play, even when his role is as a backup. Gibb's comment has nothing to do with Campbell.

Campbell's biggest problem is being asked to do too much late in games too often. Coming from behind is a low percentage game. They never should have tried protecting close leads. That's been his biggest downfall, and even at that he's made good strides.

I agreed with what Bram and Larry said today about the Dallas game affecting his decision making. He hasn't really been the same since that game. I think that he is going to be a good quarterback, he is still learning the professional game and the speed in which he needs to deliver the ball. He still has that Patrick Ramsey tendancy to hold the ball than what is required. He needs to get to about 2-3 reads and then make a decision. He shouldn't be back there all day because his line isn't the Patriots line. He needs to make 2-3 reads either run or throw it away. I would really like to see the redskins giv him a mobile pocket from the shotgun. He is way more dangerous on the edge than keeping him back there as a target for the defense. Even some of the playaction sets that Collins ran had him going to the edge of the pocket. I would really like to see that more for Jason to run.

I really don't think Campbell's problem -- if he has a problem -- is being mentally lazy. I think the problem is simple.

On our last touchdown drive, we opened PASSING. The Bears were closing in. The game was slipping as so many have. And, what did we do? DEEP out on a route tree he could have gone deep post if the safety took the out or out if the safety didn't. Then a dangerous outside stop throw. Intermediate type routes.

Against Buffalo as they were coming back, it was run, then check down, then short pass. Or, run, run, check down, run, run, run, punt.

Obviously the Bills were getting to us and the Bears weren't, but, we were so afraid to open it up and change the game with Campbell in almost every case. With Collins, everything was being called and everything was available. I believe perhaps the problem is in drilling into Campbell's head that he can't make mistakes, the team has effectively made mistakes more likely, taken away the youthful throw you regret but grow from, and, ultimately make him come off compound routes faster than he needs to not all the time, but some of the time, and the playcalling with a lead seems different with Campbell than it did with Collins.

I would agree except for the fact that I've seen plays in the 3rd quarter where the offense tried to come out passing but JC had to check down because the rush was right on top of him or he was forced into a run. I think that the Bears DL just could not get any pressure on Collins giving the offensive coordinator confidience in calling some plays down field. Alot of time it's about what the defense in giving you. You'll see this week when they play the Giants because they are going to get pressured.

This deer in the headlights thing is laughable...When has anybody ever seen JC just crumble against pressure...He is always looking downfield and trying to escape the rush or get rid of the ball at times he will get sacked, or fumble(which is of great concern), and sometimes he makes an unbelievable play...

JC's issue as it relates to TC is this...He understands the offense but he is now in the process of applying that knowledge against a live NFL defense that is bringing pressure while mixing up coverages behind it...This is why JC sometimes isn't releasing the ball on the last step of his drop and is holding it causing sacks, late throws or even errant throws(passes behind receivers, overthrows etc...) This season is going to be big for JC in that now he has seen alot if not everything a D can do to him coverage wise b/c D's this yr haven't had to worry about our ground game, and now he can go back study it and prepare for it for the next season...

TC on the other hand has been in the league since 95 or 97 has seen all the defenses that can be run against this offense so he knows immediately were to go with the ball by the last step of his drop...That's why everything looked more fluid b/c the ball was coming out in rhythm...

It's not knowing the offense...JC learned the offense on a chalkboard this past off-season it's the application of said offense with the bullets flying that JC is going through now and is invaluable to his development...He has made great strides from yr1 of plying to yr2 anybody that says otherwise is kidding themselves...Yr3 is crucial...Next yr is the yr he needs to put it all together and the coaching staff needs to allow him to either sink or fail...Stop hiding him b/c we'll never know what we have and this debate will continue...

The fact that Saunders is more comfortable playcalling with TC does not bode well for the injured starter. Shouldn't he have this offense figured out after almost 2 full years?

JC's awful IQ/Wonderlic score foreshadowed his inability to grasp this highly complex offense.

Really not surprised by his ineptidude.

Coach Gibbs, when gushing over Collins' performance last week stated that he does not get "mentally lazy". I agree. Collins looked great but it was only one game. Getting tired of hearing how Saunders is more comfortable with Collins and therefore opened up the playcalling when he came in. Hate to think he has been sandbagging only to accomodate JC!

Anyway, Gibbs' comments begs to ask the question: does JC get mentally lazy? Could this be one of the reasons why we have seen 2nd half meltdowns virtually all season long?

JC is a raw talent who has been developing slowly. However, he has yet to show he can deliver when the chips are down. Be interesting to see how Collins' fares the rest of the way. Perhaps, somehow, some way, we can limp into the playoffs. Costly QB turnovers won't cut it.

Hopefully JC will observe and learn while Collins succesfully directs the offense for an entire sixty minutes. Perhaps looking over his shoulder is all the motivation JC needs to pick up his game.

If we limp into the playoffs with Collins at the helm, do we play Campbell when he comes back around week 17? (There was probably talk about this, sorry for duplication if there has been).

Archived