Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Another athlete targeted...

Spaceman Spiff

After ST, I'm a bit more aware of athletes being targeted...I suppose I was always aware of it, the Darrent Williams shooting, the NBA players who's homes were invaded...but when it happens to one of your own, it just raises your awareness...

Anyway, Jamaal Tinsley of the Pacers is the most recent target....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3147811

Odd how most of the sports world forgot about those other cases, eh? Easier and more comfortable for everyone to label Sean and put him in a nice intellectual compartment, so they can confirm their preconceived notions about athletes or blacks or black athletes.

In any case, Tinsley and his people have the right to go to a club but the one issue can be in the clubs they might be most comfortable in, there is a strong chance they are being sized up for robbery or merely a strange form of 'hate crime.' It's not easy to just tell athletes to not go to clubs or to have bodyguards (as a surprise drive-by is hard to defend against.)

Let me add that it's not exactly a positive reflection on Tinsley that he's faced charges before involving behavior at a bar. It's not that I have to believe everything said about him or his entourage but it's not a good sign, as there are lots of pro athletes with friends who ARE NOT getting in lots of trouble at clubs/bars.

Odd how most of the sports world forgot about those other cases, eh? Easier and more comfortable for everyone to label Sean and put him in a nice intellectual compartment, so they can confirm their preconceived notions about athletes or blacks or black athletes.

Well ST's case sticks out more because he's been the most prominent athlete to have something like this happen to. He was a top 5 pick, a pro bowler and pretty much our best defender. To top it off, his murder happened in the middle of the season...I don't think any other athlete who's been a target has had such circumstances. I'm not trying to downplay Darrent Williams' tragedy, I'm just trying to point out what made ST's murder so unique.

It's just sad to see an awful trend become more prominent and occur more often even in the wake of a tragedy like ST....

I understand it was unique and I'm not really talking about you in terms of your understanding of these events. Just wish the media had paid attention to the other cases, rather than try to classify Sean according to something that really isn't that common.

If you think about it, most of those cases involved the black athlete as victim. When was the last athlete gunned down for their gang associations or criminal activity? Seemed odd to pick Sean out for that kind of analysis when you can look at all these other cases and see that athletes are probably targeted and not "troubled by their past."

I understand it was unique and I'm not really talking about you in terms of your understanding of these events. Just wish the media had paid attention to the other cases, rather than try to classify Sean according to something that really isn't that common.

If you think about it, most of those cases involved the black athlete as victim. When was the last athlete gunned down for their gang associations or criminal activity? Seemed odd to pick Sean out for that kind of analysis when you can look at all these other cases and see that athletes are probably targeted and not "troubled by their past."

Oh, I know...I didn't take it personally...

I don't really remember the last athlete to be gunned down for gang associations or criminal activity....have there been any?....I agree though, they're being targeted for who they are not their troubled past.

Deion Figures maybe?

He was shot in LA in the mid 90s and was part of the LA contingent that took over the Universtiy of Colorado's football team under the Promise Keeper's watch.

Archived