Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Injuries, Turnovers, and the Washington Redskins.

GSF

The randomness of life is sometimes a puzzling thing.

I sit here self medicated, sunken into my couch with my right arm and hand in a cast and elevated, resting upon a stack of pillows. I'm waiting for the big game that starts in, oh about 7 hours. Nine days ago, I had a titanium screw drilled into my right hand to repair my broken scaphoid bone, which I broke months ago riding my dirt bike. I didn't even crash my bike, just came down funny off a little table top and POP. One little random bump on my bike, and I'm out of commision for several months, hopefully not longer. I'm typing this completely left handed so bare with me.

Life is often an enigma. I sat in this same spot and medicated state the other night and watched a special about the late, great Stevie Ray Vaughn. Early in the show, they showed a bunch of early Stevie footage. Stevie was a mess. He was obviously very affected from drugs and alchohol, and just looked bad. Later in the show, they showed his last performance at Austin Cirt limits. He was clean and sober, looked fantastic, and played the livin' bejeezus out of them guitars. He was vibrant, had a hit record, and was on top of the world. A short time later, he died randomly in a helicopter crash.

I sat on my couch stunned. Why did Stevie have to die after working so hard to better himself and change his life? Why did Sean Taylor, a young man who was like everybody's little brother, have to die?

The randomness of life can be puzzling. Sports mimic life. Just like in life, outcomes of sports are often affected by random events.

In 2004, Joe Gibbs suddenly,and somewhat randomly, returned into our lives. Our once great leader had returned to rescue us from the dismal abyss that had become the Washington Redskins. We rejoiced.

The first season was rough, but most of us expected that. We remembered that Gibbs started off his first run by going 0 - 5. We were patient.

The 2005 season also saw its share of challenges, but Gibbs lead the team to a strong finish, and we were on our way. Then things happened.

There were some things that were not so random. Bad decisions were made with personel, and bad decisions were made during the games. These mistakes had a negative affect on the team. But the question I have now I keep asking myself, how much of the losing comes from these mistakes, and how much has been caused by the randomness of things?

Where would the Skin be right now if they hadn't had so many turnovers in recent weeks? Where would they be if they hadn't lost players like El, Sellars, Rogers, and of course Taylor?

I don't think Gibbs is to blame for recent failures. Sometimes **** just happens. I think this team has a huge challenge in front of it tonight, but I think Gibbs and the players will rise to the challenge. We get El, Sellars, and Thomas back tonight, that will be a big lift for the team.

The Redskins have been through an incredible whirlwind these past few weeks. I think they are going to dig deep and play hard the rest of the way out. I don't know if they'll make the playoffs, but I support Coach Gibbs and I want to see what he does next season.

Hail to the Skins!

Heal quickly, GSF.

I fear watching tonight. I fear that the team is physically and emotionally spent. I fear that they haven't had time to adequately prepare for the Chicago Bears. I fear that a less-than-capacity crowd will fail to give them a needed lift. I fear watching tonight. But I will be.

If season taught me anything, it's how insignificant this game is when contrasted with the reality of life. So in that regard, let me first say that I hope you're feeling better and wish you a speedy recovery. :)

Now, to address the question:

But the question I have now I keep asking myself, how much of the losing comes from these mistakes, and how much has been caused by the randomness of things?
While I certainly agree that there are millions of elements beyond our control, both in life and on the football field, it might make more sense to replace the word randomness with probability. Both mean the same thing, but in this context, the latter works better at illustrating why we have a losing record and why you're bed ridden.

You certainly didn't deserve to get injured. But the probability of suffering an injury which requires several months to recover is going to be higher to a person riding a dirt bike than, say, someone playing chess. Because you decided to ride that bike, you helped determine that probability.

Sean Taylor didn't deserve to get his house broken into and have his life ripped away from him in a rash of gunfire. But the probability of getting you're house broken into will be higher for someone living less than 2 miles from an incredibly sketchy neighborhood than, say, 15 miles away from downtown. Sean decided to live there, and while this tragedy is unfortunate and random in the sense that it wasn't him they were targetting personally, he could have decided to live further away from danger and perhaps lessen the liklihood of a burglary.

Now to the Redskins.

Turnovers, ours anyway, have been far from random. They've come as a result of not holding onto the football, throwing into coverage, crappy pass protection and lack of awareness of a rushing defensive player. If there has been any part of this disappointing season that's been 100% the fault of the Redskins alone, it's been this.

And finally the injuries. Some injuries do indeed seem random, such as a lineman getting his leg rolled up on by a player next to him. But others clearly aren't, like groin and hamstring injuries. I'm sorry, but groin and hammys are the result of either not stretching, not weightlifing properly, or not fueling your body with proper levels of water and nutrients. Also, let's not forget that we have one of the oldest teams in the league. Our choice to depend on a high number of veteran free agents to consititute our starting lineup on both sides of the ball makes us a bit more injury prone and vulnerable to being one or two injuries away from becoming a really crappy team.

And personally, I don't agree with letting players train on their own in the off season. We let Santana Moss train on his own every year and it seems every year, he's the consistently harped by nagging injuries. Do you think the trainers of Olympic athletes let their performers train on their own?

So basically what I'm saying is that although we've caught every bad break under the sun this year, and although from close up it may seem that everything is random and unfair, every result in life and on the field stems from choices that directly affect the probabilty of those outcomes.

Get well soon, man. Enjoy the game inside. Gonna be cold as a witches titty in a brass bra out there tonight! :D

man im sorry to hear about your accident. Get well soon.

i agree with everything you have said.

life is truly unpredictable.

i fell that we will be able to get our act together and win this game. i dont think it will be a blow out, im thinking of a more 4-3 pt win. as always it will come down to the last last snap.

hope you have a quick recovery.

Heal quickly, GSF.

I fear watching tonight. I fear that the team is physically and emotionally spent. I fear that they haven't had time to adequately prepare for the Chicago Bears. I fear that a less-than-capacity crowd will fail to give them a needed lift. I fear watching tonight. But I will be.

That's a lot of fear!

Woulda, coulda, shoulda! Yes, we should very well be 10-2 or even 11-1. But we're not. Almost only counts in horseshoes. You are as good as you play. No matter what you do out on the field, you are as good a team as the outcome of the game. That's the identity of these 2007 Washington Redskins.

They're a good bunch of players, but they don't stay consistent, and they let potential wins turn into losses. That's who this team is. Forget about what our record should be and accept our record for what it is. Yes, we could be 11-1 or 10-2, 9-3, 8-4, but the reality is that we're a 5-7 team who really should be a 4-8 team if the Cards get tag on 3 at the end of that game.

Almost only counts in horseshoes, guys.

Get off your ass, GSF.:D

Just kidding, heal up man. As for your post, you're right, **** just happens and there's nothing we can do about it. Little things that make a big difference. Little things that have REALLY killed us this season. Me ****ing and moaning on here won't do anything. I will support Gibbs until he calls it quits. Then I'll look forward to our future.

Thanks for all the replies and well wishes. Like Oneshot said, I'll support Gibbs until he calls it quits. I don't agree with every thing he has done, but I still believe he's the man we need for the Redskins. Game in less then 2 hours. Go Skins!!

Archived