Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In Perspective

greenmile

It has been a struggle, nobody would deny that. But we did make the playoffs two years ago, winning a playoff game.

If by any chance we go this year, I’d say 2 out of 4 years to the playoffs is pretty decent.

Injuries and other nonsense have also plagued us this year.

It’s a fine line between a 6-10 and 10-6 season.

I’d like Gibbs to sign a 3 year extension after this year and finish what he’s started.

It has been a struggle, nobody would deny that. But we did make the playoffs two years ago, winning a playoff game.

If by any chance we go this year, I’d say 2 out of 4 years to the playoffs is pretty decent.

I’d like Gibbs to sign a 3 year extension after this year and finish what he’s started.

Good teams go 10-6. Last time i checked we are much closer to 6-10 (not a good team).

Listen, I want them to make the playoffs as bad as the next Skins fan.. but let's be fair... not happening.

One bone to pick..other than injuries.. what other "nonsense" are you referring to?

I think maybe there's a fine line between 8-8 and 10-6........but not between 6-10 and 10-6.

Maybe injuries did play a part somewhat.....but how many years can you use that excuse? Last year Portis gets hurt, but later in the year Betts showed he could be an adequate replacement. Last year people cited Prioleau going down as a significant loss, butmehow he doesn't seem to be pulling his weight when asked to step in for various injuries this year.

The thing that gets me upset is that yet again the offense cannot be counted on to carry this team at all. We have had some key OL starters go down, but that's where depth is supposed to come in. And when we've had receivers go down, the coaches couldn't swallow their pride and give a guy they gave a $10 million signing bonus to a chance.

I'll give you the Taylor tragedy has cast a pall over the club and I don't blame the team for being flat on Sunday and perhaps tomorrow. But face it, even though we were 5-3, we were struggling before ST went down with his injury. There are no guarantees ST prevents Westbrook from making a huge gainer on that play in the Philly game. In the Cowboy game, you would've thought that someone would stick to TO to not let him get as disgustingly wide open as he was on the majority of his TDs. Finally, we just self-destructed at the beginning of the Bucs game and dug ourselves too deep of a hole.

As far as Gibbs goes, I wouldn't be too upset if he continued coaching, but would be far from upset if he decided to step down. I do think he needs to make a decision at year's end about whether he wants to step aside now or if he wants to truly commit to firmly turning this franchise around, which is going to involve more than just serving the remainder of his original contract. A commitment to an extension would be a positive step. Lets face it.......many may have had too grandiose of expectations when JG returned. But the reality also is that the team is well behind the schedule that could've been expected when Gibbs returned of getting this team back to true contender status.

It's easy to rail Gibbs because things aren't going well, but we all know that Gibbs is somewhat detached from the team. Saunders and Williams do most of the work and Gibbs oversees things. I don't know how much blame the figurehead deserves.

Williams built this defense around Sean Taylor. Since he has been out of the lineup, opposing offenses have pretty much had their way with us. (Tampa doesn't really count b/c Garcia missed most of the game) Taylor would be the hardest person to replace.

On offense, our backup QB situation seems pretty grim. Other than that, losing offensive linemen can derail a team. To lose your starting right side of the line for around 10 weeks is a huge blow. I love our skill players, but they could have been replaced more easily than two studs on our offensive line.

It's not an excuse, it's a reason. Key injuries (and worse) at crucial positions amounted to the perfect storm of calamities. This doesn't exonerate Gibbs, perhaps a better draft history would have left us with better depth, but to lay all the blame on him is looking for change for change's sake.

This game is a line in the sand. If we go .500 or better this season, I think there will have been enough progress to give it another go. If the team can't come together it'll be the opportune time for Gibbs to take a front office position and overhaul the roster.

Wow, that's never going to happen. The question is will he resign after this season or go 1 more and finish his contract.

Archived