Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Three year plan (if I was the GM)

daveakl

Well, here you go, in a spread sheet form. Basically I would draft draft draft. I know we are close to being a good team, but I think we are far from being a great team and closer to missing our window due to age and cap hits then we are to consistency.

So, that being said, I would use the next three drafts to build this team for a great shot in 2010 as well as put our cap in a spot that we have flexability. Here is my spread sheet for what I would do. Cap hits for draft picks are estimates based on this years rookie amounts and[/img] although they will rise, so will the cap based on the rookie pool. Thus I do not think I am that far off. As for contracts, these are the numbers for current contracts, estimate has been written for players I would like to keep but they will need to resign.

Oh, and I suck at the internet so I had to load these as word files. Any way to post them in a post? Thanks in advance for the help.

1. While I would love to draft Chris Long as well, no way he will be still on the board after #5.

2. Ladell Betts is a good back, but this would be looking at a guy that could start in 09'. It would be his second year in the league and Betts would be hitting 30 by then.

3. This would be the roster type I would try to go for if I was in charge of the draft. 1st and 2nd round picks end up being starters the year they are drafted (at least by the end of the season), 3rd and 4th round picks end up starting a year later (again at least by the end of year two). Works the younger guys in while at least having vet. depth to serve as a teacher.

(not saying we will be drafting at #5, just that he will be gone by that pick. We will prob pick between 9-15)

1. While I would love to draft Chris Long as well, no way he will be still on the board after #5.

2. Ladell Betts is a good back, but this would be looking at a guy that could start in 09'. It would be his second year in the league and Betts would be hitting 30 by then.

3. This would be the roster type I would try to go for if I was in charge of the draft. 1st and 2nd round picks end up being starters the year they are drafted (at least by the end of the season), 3rd and 4th round picks end up starting a year later (again at least by the end of year two). Works the younger guys in while at least having vet. depth to serve as a teacher.

(not saying we will be drafting at #5, just that he will be gone by that pick. We will prob pick between 9-15)

your right, Long won't be there past a top 5 pick. I would like to see us trade for one but that would prob mean Portis.

Archived