Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why won't this team throw across the middle? merged

PierceType

Every game it is the same thing. Sideline route after sideline route. Then we actually throw across the middle for a big gainer and I think, 'oh boy, here we go!'.

Then, even after the middle route was a HUGE success, we never do it again the whole game! As a matter of fact, I think the middle-routes we DO throw are just on check-off receivers and not the actual play called.

It's like calling gut-run after gut-run. It never works and yet we just keep doing it.

Look at teams like New England and the Colts. They LIVE on crossing routes.

I just don't get it. I mean, what the heck are those coaches seeing when they watch film?

Because Gibbs believes throwing into the middle of the field leads to more turnovers on batted balls and jacked up hits.

He feels having Campbell throw outside the hashes reduces the risk of interceptions.

The other issue is that he has two receivers in Cooley and McCardell that are guys that are comfortable going across the middle and who can take the abuse.

The other receivers are either too small to take the pounding or are guys like Moss that fumble.

It only works if we are :

1. In the first half and building a lead

2. Trying to come from behind in the second half.

Notice that it disappeared in the second half of the Bills game.

Campbell said himself that Gibbs "wanted to go in a different direction" in the second half.

It's not like the Bills all of a sudden found a gifted linebacker that could cover Cooley and Moss was unable to run a slant.

You know those routes that Owens runs for Dallas every play? Lines up outside then comes in motion towards the line, ball is snapped, and he blazes across the middle for a huge gain or hits it up field splitting the safety for a wide open touchdown? He did it to us a few times so we should be familiar. Santana Moss could be doing the exact same thing. He has the speed to get open every time and the elusiveness to take it to the house. Sure he might get owned a couple times coming across the middle, but he's a tough little sucker and gets paid well enough. The guy is wasted on out patterns and WR screens. You can tell he is frustrated about it too.

You know those routes that Owens runs for Dallas every play? Lines up outside then comes in motion towards the line, ball is snapped, and he blazes across the middle for a huge gain or hits it up field splitting the safety for a wide open touchdown? He did it to us a few times so we should be familiar. Santana Moss could be doing the exact same thing. He has the speed to get open every time and the elusiveness to take it to the house. Sure he might get owned a couple times coming across the middle, but he's a tough little sucker and gets paid well enough. The guy is wasted on out patterns and WR screens. You can tell he is frustrated about it too.

Sorry I am requesting that you be banned for making sense :laugh:

I hate to see a formation with the new WR Nix or whatever his name is when we split 2 or 3 WR to one side. WE are not fooling ANYONE! It's just a really poor ploy to try to spread out the defense so we can run the ball.

Remember Campbell's first pass of the season? Up the middle to Cooley....intercepted. Our coaches have been afraid to let Campbell throw to the middle ever since. So yes....playing safe/scared/conservative....whatever.

Yeah, it follows the mantra of- "if at first you don't succeed, then from then on just don't try again."

Interception are bad, but touchdowns and wins are better.

Archived