Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

QB Development: Campbell vs. Ramsey

shhrz

I'm a big Campbell fan but I was a big Ramsey fan as well. He really was never given an oppurtunity to develop his first few years, and that really stunted his growth. Whereas most young QB's are given a reliable TE to throw to, (Brees/Rivers Gates, Manning Shockey, Romo sits to pee Witten, Campbell Cooley, Ramsey had the likes of Walter Rasby and Zeron Flemister. Coles was a great reciever, the year or two he and Ramsey were able to hook up. Beyond that we had Taylor Jacobs, Rod Gardner, and Darnerian McCants. None of those guys have jobs right now. He also had a running game of Trung Candidate and Ladell Betts.

Campbell is still showing signs of improvement. I think he has a very good chance of becoming a star if we continue to feed him with playing time, support, and talent.

Guys here's the deal. Both QB's played behind leaky O-lines. Protection was spotty at best. The difference is mobility. Ramsey had to take the hits just to make plays (which he made a lot early on) while JC is mobile and can buy extra secs in spite of shi1ty protection. That's why I belive JC will have a good career. When you give him time, he's shown his promise. But when protection breaks down, he's tried to make plays via arm or legs which is where he's gotten into trouble. JC's problem is more of decision making when things break down & less of 'shell shock' from getting hit (ramsey's issue which is a bigger/ long term problem cuz it creates happy feet which ruins a QB's career). simply put: JC needs to learn when to take a sack, run out of bounds or simply throw the ball away. Once he makes the adjustment (product of being a 'rookie') he'll be a very good NFL QB. He'll get there cuz he's smart. As Aikman mentioned, these are growing pains. Hopefully, he'll work out the kinks by the end of this season and be ready for next year. It's been a long year for us so far. I'm ready for the thing to be over.

Ramsey isn't very good, but not because he got hit a lot. Aikman got killed his first year in the league, and I'd bet Peyton Manning did too. It isn't unusual for good QB's to go to bad teams because they have the high pick to take them. A bad team doesn't usually have a good OL.

Ramsey isn't very good because he isn't very accurate. Campbell to me appears to be more accurate, but certainly isn't as accurate as the other star QB's in the league. In addition, he has his "wind up", which I think helps the D get a jump on his ball (I don't think Barber makes that one interception w/o the wind up_. Can he over come these things? I don't know, but I doubt he'll ever be a star. He might be serviecable if you can put a good team around him. I think him an Eli will be similar QB's. The Giants are making the playoffs this year w/ Eli.

If you flip-flopped them, I think the Giants are still in the playoffs, and we are still out.

campbell made some plays awile throwing off his backfoot. Ramsey isnt mobile as campbell also campbell seems to be a monster on 3rd and longs, Campbells only weakness is the redzone, but hey the redskins struggled in the redzone the last 10 years so its not just him its the whole team.

Campbells only other weakness is the 2 minute drill, but he's probably perfect if you count those INT's as receptions for someone...

Archived