Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dre Moore

method man

Can any Maryland fans chime in on this guy? Looking at his measurables (like a 4.8 40, which he is expected to run), this guy could be a very good value in the 2nd round where he is expected to be picked. I've heard him being called the next freak athlete out of UMD and, if so, he would be a nice replacement for Griff as the penetrating 3 technique DT.

From what I have read, he is still kind of raw and has only really come on this season. I've read that he can both penetrate well into the backfield and that he also anchors well against the run. I know he dominated in that WVU game, but I don't really know his performance in the rest of the season.

This could all be a moot point though after the combine

He makes someplays here and there. I see him all the time because I go to Maryland. I dont know if he's like.....pro level material because I think we're fine, for now, at DT. He certainly wont be the next Cornelius Griffin. We NEED another one of those.

He's pretty good, he has real good quickness off the ball but at this point he's not strong enough to get a huge push up the middle. I think if he adds some weight he could be a very good player (better than Randy Starks) but at this point I don't think he'd be better for us that Monty or Golston are already.

I could see him being a very nice developmental prospect for some other team though.

He's a projected 3rd rounder. Because of the untimely passing of Taylor, we are left with a gaping hole at FS. We will have to address that with one of our first day picks. The others will probably be used on an OL and a WR. Right now, we have solid youth at that position, including Montgomery(steal of his draft), Golston and Alexander. With Griffin providing veteran leadership, I just think we will be looking to add players at positions of greater need.

He's a projected 3rd rounder. Because of the untimely passing of Taylor' date=' we are left with a gaping hole at FS. We will have to address that with one of our first day picks. The others will probably be used on an OL and a WR. Right now, we have solid youth at that position, including Montgomery(steal of his draft), Golston and Alexander. With Griffin providing veteran leadership, I just think we will be looking to add players at positions of greater need.[/quote']

Yeah, I'm guessing we finish in the middle of the pack somewhere and that we may take Kenny Phillips or even trade up to get him if he goes pro this year. There's a lot of DE talent in the 2-4 rounds, so I wouldn't be surprised to see us go that direction and shore up OL the rest of the way.

I don't think we'll go WR, since Campbell has been performing well with what we have. Plus we just signed Anthony Mix who I saw in the Tampa game and the fact that he's actually starting is a very good sign. He may be the big possession receiver we've been wanting.:2cents:

I don't think we'll go WR, since Campbell has been performing well with what we have. Plus we just signed Anthony Mix who I saw in the Tampa game and the fact that he's actually starting is a very good sign. He may be the big possession receiver we've been wanting.:2cents:
I'm hoping we don't go WR. I would like to see us re-sign McCardell and Caldwell and let them battle it out. As well, Espy will be returning, albeit off a serious knee injury.

As for Dre Moore, I found this:

Strengths: Though needs to improve ability to shed blocks, plays with a bit of mean streak and has the upper body strength to improve in this area. Takes adequate angles to the ball, plays from snap until whistle and makes the occasional play in pursuit. Doesn't do a great job of anticipating the snap but is quick and can disrupt plays in the b backfield. Moves well laterally and could develop an effective arsenal of pass rush moves over time. Keeps head up and flashes the ability to sniff out screens. Played just one season of high school football and is still a little raw but has made strides and should only continue to get better with added experience.

Weaknesses: Plays too high, hasn't shown great lower body strength and can get driven back. Lacks elite size, plays with a narrow base and can't anchor against double teams. Takes too long to read keys when teams run at him and gets caught out of position at times. Doesn't use hands to protect legs, loses balance at times and struggles to fight off cut blocks. Frequently fails to get hands up when isn't going to the quarterback and doesn't always time jumps well.

Overall: Moore was redshirted in 2003. During his first three seasons (2004-'06) he appeared in 31 games (13 starts) and recorded 77 total tackles, nine tackles for loss, and 4.5 sacks. Moore's game isn't fundamentally sound and he has to work on anchoring against the run but there is a lot to like about his upside because he's got a great blend of quickness, athletic ability, range and size.

ESPN has him ranked as the #8 DT.

NFL Draft Scout at #6.

NFL Draft Countdown at #9.

Those are the three sites I respect the most. If anybody has others, please post.

Monty, Golston, and Alexander just do not cut it for the future. None of these guys is going to be a good penetrating DT. Monty is a NT, Golston lacks athleticism, and Alexander should be moved to guard. There is no one with really good athleticism who could be a beast once his technique is fine-tuned.

Look at Moore's weaknesses. Lower body strength? With NFL conditioning, won't be a problem. Fails to get hands up? Easily a problem Blatche can fix. Unlike for the current young 3 we have, Moore seems to have the tools to become an elite player sometime in the future.

I still think that we should take his fellow MD alum, Andrew Crummey - he's an OG who played next to Heyer.

As for Moore, he's a beast. He's a project DT and good for solid depth, but we have more pressing issues that need to be looked at in the 3rd round

Same with me too. Moore in the 2nd/3rd and Crummey in the 5th. Crummey is an excellent fit here, especially as a replacement for Pucillo. I like how Crummey is very smart, can play both guard and center (therefore becoming Rabach's backup as well immediately), and is undervalued due to his injury.

He's a projected 3rd rounder. Because of the untimely passing of Taylor' date=' we are left with a gaping hole at FS. We will have to address that with one of our first day picks. The others will probably be used on an OL and a WR. Right now, we have solid youth at that position, including Montgomery(steal of his draft), Golston and Alexander. With Griffin providing veteran leadership, I just think we will be looking to add players at positions of greater need.[/quote']

Definitely not WR with the way our WRs have been playing lately. I mean, if DJ Hall is there in the 2nd where we pick, take him by all means. But it is not as great a need as it was before. Gaping hole at FS? Safeties are plentiful and you can always get a good one on the cheap through FA (Eugene Wilson of the Pats' will be an excellent value) and there are plenty others we can take later in the draft (ie Jonathan Hefney, Bobbie Williams, or any big, smart CB who does not run a 4.5).

DT and DE, however, must be filled on Day 1. Griffin is declining and as I stated earlier, Monty, Golston, and Alexander do not have the skills to fit into his shoes.

We need a guy with a high motor and can get a push up the middle.. However if we can grab another Big DT like a vince wilfox clone that would be cool too.. We can play like the ravens did in 2000 with adams and sirgusa

sf2k,

I think you said you go to UMD. What is your opinion of Moore? Draft reports list him as a NT but he clearly won't play that in the NFL. He seems to be the type of guy who can have that Daryl Gardner or Cornelius Griffin effect on our D.

sf2k,

I think you said you go to UMD. What is your opinion of Moore? Draft reports list him as a NT but he clearly won't play that in the NFL. He seems to be the type of guy who can have that Daryl Gardner or Cornelius Griffin effect on our D.

Well his motor is clearly there. He does get upfield.. He plays the 3-4 NT in our defense when we choose to do that but I wouldnt recommend him on getting pressure from the inside with a early pick in the draft

Well his motor is clearly there. He does get upfield.. He plays the 3-4 NT in our defense when we choose to do that but I wouldnt recommend him on getting pressure from the inside with a early pick in the draft

Do you think it is because his role at UMD is because he is supposed to be the team run stopper? Does he take on two blockers every play? Because here with Monty eating up blockers, Moore would be in more on one-on-one situations. I am really interested in either Dre Moore, Andre Fluellen, and Kendall Langford as Griff replacements

Do you think it is because his role at UMD is because he is supposed to be the team run stopper? Does he take on two blockers every play? Because here with Monty eating up blockers, Moore would be in more on one-on-one situations. I am really interested in either Dre Moore, Andre Fluellen, and Kendall Langford as Griff replacements

But we traditional play 4-3 now with covington and i forget the other guys name getting absolute 0 pressure could contribute to him not getting enough pressure from the outside

But we traditional play 4-3 now with covington and i forget the other guys name getting absolute 0 pressure could contribute to him not getting enough pressure from the outside

Yeah, it's possibly the other guys on that line sucking really bad so teams just focus on Moore. A reason Ellis for USC is doing so well has to be because he has 2 other good DL next to him in Moala and Jackson. Kinda the same thing with NC State a couple yeras back with Mario Williams. He had Tank Tyler, Manny Lawson, and some other NFL player next to him.

Monty, Golston, and Alexander just do not cut it for the future. None of these guys is going to be a good penetrating DT. Monty is a NT, Golston lacks athleticism, and Alexander should be moved to guard. There is no one with really good athleticism who could be a beast once his technique is fine-tuned.

Look at Moore's weaknesses. Lower body strength? With NFL conditioning, won't be a problem. Fails to get hands up? Easily a problem Blatche can fix. Unlike for the current young 3 we have, Moore seems to have the tools to become an elite player sometime in the future.

In my opinion you're talking about the hardest position to play besides DE. Montgomery is looking like a steal of a draft pick from last year. To get his kind of production from a middle round pick is pretty great.

I think your standards for DT's are bit on the high side.

In my opinion you're talking about the hardest position to play besides DE. Montgomery is looking like a steal of a draft pick from last year. To get his kind of production from a middle round pick is pretty great.

I think your standards for DT's are bit on the high side.

Monty is doing a very good job as a runstuffing NT and he is definitely a keeper, but he doesn't get much interior pressure. All I really want is a DT who can anchor and get consistent pressure. He doesn't have to be a Warren Sapp in his prime...just a guy who mirrors Griff in 04 or Gardener in 02.

I've really noticed that if you have a DT who gets interior pressure, it really changes the complexion of your defense. Our defense had two of its best years ever in 02 and 04 with a big reason being how disruptive Gardener and Griff were.

We need a guy with a high motor and can get a push up the middle.. However if we can grab another Big DT like a vince wilfox clone that would be cool too.. We can play like the ravens did in 2000 with adams and sirgusa

For that to work, though, you need capable pass rushers and the only ones we have are Carter and Washington. If you were to pick up a stud pass rushing DE though and find a Mark Anderson-clone, maybe it would work.

Here is WalterFootball's scouting report on him:

Dre Moore, Maryland (9/14)

Height: 6-4. Weight: 298.

40 Time: 4.82.

Projected Round: 2.

Dre Moore played out of his mind against West Virginia. Steve Slaton simply couldn't run in Moore's direction, as the senior defensive tackle was in the Mountaineers' backfield the majority of the plays. He really improved his draft stock.

That 4.82 is not a misprint. Moore, who excels at stopping the run and getting to the quarterback, is a workout warrior. He'll bench 225 pounds at least 30 times. He has also notched a 34-inch vertical in the past. An expected, excellent combine may get Moore into the first round.

Monty is doing a very good job as a runstuffing NT and he is definitely a keeper, but he doesn't get much interior pressure. All I really want is a DT who can anchor and get consistent pressure. He doesn't have to be a Warren Sapp in his prime...just a guy who mirrors Griff in 04 or Gardener in 02.

I've really noticed that if you have a DT who gets interior pressure, it really changes the complexion of your defense. Our defense had two of its best years ever in 02 and 04 with a big reason being how disruptive Gardener and Griff were.

I don't disagree, I just think those guys are a lot harder to come by than most people realize. DT's and DE's don't generally stay on the market for long. And when you draft one, you keep them locked up as long as you can.

I think every team would love to have a penetrating DT, but at the same time you have to figure that Monty has aided in the increased pressure our D-line has been able to get this year. Especially when you figure that we inactivated Golston for games against pass-happy teams, but kept Monty in the starting lineup.

I don't disagree, I just think those guys are a lot harder to come by than most people realize. DT's and DE's don't generally stay on the market for long. And when you draft one, you keep them locked up as long as you can.

I think every team would love to have a penetrating DT, but at the same time you have to figure that Monty has aided in the increased pressure our D-line has been able to get this year. Especially when you figure that we inactivated Golston for games against pass-happy teams, but kept Monty in the starting lineup.

Well, that is because Monty eats up blockers. He doesn't actually get pressure. However, he is doing his job. It is that Griff and Carter really have not. They have nice sack numbers, but they don't put up enough QB pressures, which I value more. I think at this point in their respective careers, Griff would be served best by being relegated to the no. 3 DT (less wear and tear for his beat-up body) and Carter needs more pass-rush threats next to him so that blockers don't zone in on him.

We definitely need a DE and a DT and I would take them 1-2.

I see your point about DTs and DEs not being on the market that long but I think guys like Langford and Moore are undervalued in this case. WalterFootball thinks that Moore can actually sneak into round 1 with a good workout

Archived